KCDK Cedar Key is Open

AU_James

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
The island had closed their doors for a while during COVID but is open now. My wife and I spent a few hours there Saturday, running from the airport into town, having a nice lunch, and exploring the streets. Not every business is open yet, though most restaurants at least have limited hours, but it seemed the seafood places were open with some social distanced seating (or outdoor seating). Plenty of fishing and kayaking going on as well. We're definitely going to come back when we can plan to stay the weekend or at least the night.

The runway is short(er) at 2300' and though that's plenty long enough, it was the first time I landed on a runway less than probably 3800' or so flying my Archer. Due to the length, I made sure to execute my best (albeit rusty) short field landing techniques. Right on speed, right on power settings, great descent and BAM! Put the plane directly on my landing point with a bit harder of a landing then maybe I've experienced in a long time! Completely safe landing, just stuck it a bit harder than I probably needed to, especially considering I was doing my 180 degree turn to get to the parking spots with well over half the runway remaining! Perhaps a couple hundred feet of float wouldn't have hurt...

On takeoff I wanted to exercise my short field takeoff procedures. It was made more fun by the folks who had taken the scenic drive down what I am imagining is the longest road on the island that ends at the airport who had stopped to watch the incredibly exciting 180hp 4-seater lift off from the secluded island. Very uneventful (at least for us, I'm sure exhilarating for the audience).

A great day and a great use of a smaller GA aircraft getting in and out of a place most people plan to spend at least an entire day visiting if not just planning an overnight trip due to the location.

Last edited:
This is a new one for me. Looks like it might be a good spot for wife and I after dropping the kids off at Nana and Papa's. :)

Got any intel on how to get around down there? Is there anything like 'Red Bug Motors' on Jekyll or is it Uber or cab or ???

There are a few options. You can rent a golf cart, or use the old lady that monitors the radio (I'm not a huge fan, she smokes heavily and wants way too much for a ride in an old smoke filled van for 10 minutes IMO), but she is an institution so you should do it at least once. There's also other people that live across from the airport that will give you a cart ride into town and pick you up with a phone call. They are pretty friendly.

Wow! Nice PIREP. I’ve heard that lady make radio calls on YouTube and always planned to have her pick us up. With that lovely description of her, I’m gonna look into buying an electric scooter, LOL!

Last edited:
At least one of the golf cart rental places will come and pick you up at the airport and take you into town to the rental place, then drop you back at the airport when you're done. At least they would a few years ago. On the other hand, he didn't answer his cell phone when I called him from the airport and my wife & I wound up sharing a Judy's cab ride with another group. He apologized and said his phone was on charge and he didn't hear it. I don't remember the name of the golf cart rental place but the service (ride to/from the airport) was listed on their web site.

Yep, when I made a downwind call on the CTAF she came on and asked if we needed transportation. We declined (we were planning on running into town) but it would have been that easy to get a ride. On foot I think it was about 1.5 miles from the airport to the edge of town which for us was an easy jog even on a hot/humid day and about a 30 min walk back after eating.

Plenty of golf carts, friendly people, and you can call ahead to a cart rental place as well. Or don't call ahead- you can wait until you land and I'm sure they'll arrive within 10-15 mins if they aren't too busy.

Yep, when I made a downwind call on the CTAF she came on and asked if we needed transportation. We declined (we were planning on running into town) but it would have been that easy to get a ride. On foot I think it was about 1.5 miles from the airport to the edge of town which for us was an easy jog even on a hot/humid day and about a 30 min walk back after eating.

Plenty of golf carts, friendly people, and you can call ahead to a cart rental place as well. Or don't call ahead- you can wait until you land and I'm sure they'll arrive within 10-15 mins if they aren't too busy.

Another great place for a couple of folding bikes.

Another great place for a couple of folding bikes.

I've pitched that to my wife, as well. She's not opposed, we'll probably go that route once it's time to branch out further from "airports we can start a run from and see/do something interesting."

With quick release wheels you can get regular bikes in pretty easily with some GA planes. My daughter and I each took a bike to Jekyll Island several years ago. I did a triathlon there and we rode our bikes around the island for transportation the rest of the weekend.

Take the PIREP of Judy with a grain of salt.....she is indeed a Cedar Key institution and provides a service no one else does...most pilots utilizing her service are thankful and gracious (based on my monitoring of CTAF dialogues)...on the other hand, it is a short walk to town along a part of what little Is left of “Old Florida” ....you are likely to see dolphins, and surely will see many species of sea birds. Time to slow down.

Back