KC-135 Flight tomorrow

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
So..... I haven't posted in awhile due to being busy, but I thought this may be worth it..........I was asked today if I wanted to go up in a 135 and see a refueling mission. They twisted my arm hard and I agreed to go. Supposedly we are refueling a B-2, I have my camera and will take as many pictures as possible.

Best,

Good luck and have fun. As an Air Force flight surgeon I have a lot of hours in KC-135's (great for trips but not as much fun as getting stick time in an F-16). Ask the boom operator if he or she will let you drive the boom around with the joy stick. Also, see if you can sit up in the jump seat during landing and take off.

It should be a great time.

I assume you are flying out of McConnell, and I think they still fly with Navs, so hope you do get the jumpseat. It will be HOT in the airplane, but you will freeze in the boom pod. Enjoy the ride and don't puke! BTW, the view out the boom pod is only second in beauty to the view out the front!

I assume you are flying out of McConnell, and I think they still fly with Navs, so hope you do get the jumpseat. It will be HOT in the airplane, but you will freeze in the boom pod. Enjoy the ride and don't puke! BTW, the view out the boom pod is only second in beauty to the view out the front!

actually Rudy is with the group up in Topeka.

Ahhh, explains why his location not Wichita. Flying out of Forbes, then the jump seat should be all his! Have fun!

I'm back, here are a few pics. I got to sit in the jumpseat, fly the boom and watch the B-2 aprroach and do a few break aways.

I'm still excited, haha.

Enjoy,

Attachments

• PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
  • PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
  • PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
I'm back, here are a few pics. I got to sit in the jumpseat, fly the boom and watch the B-2 aprroach and do a few break aways.

I'm still excited, haha.

Enjoy,
Sweet! never got to see a water bird do a refuel from that angle, I was always on the other end. The cockpit has sure changed from the olden days!!

Very cool Rudy. Hey is the boom operator wearing Bose Head sets? They can't be gov't issue.

Hey, Rudy:

Were you over Southwest Missouri during your flight? We often see B-2s being refueled directly over M17 (Bolivar).

First, in true POA fashion, I have to say:

Dear Rudy,
You suck!
Sincerely,
Teller

But in all seriousness, fantastic photos, and I'm very jealous that you got to take such an amazing ride! If there are any more photos, I'd love to see them.

Nice photos, Rudy! How cool! :yes:

Is that you in the last shot?

Were you over Southwest Missouri during your flight? We often see B-2s being refueled directly over M17 (Bolivar).
We're in their flight path, too. They go right over the farm. Although, I haven't seen them lately. Sometimes we can hear them, but can't see them.

Wow.. AMAZING photos and experience. Thanks for sharing!

We were over E. MO, I have some more photos and can post them later.

And yes Diana, in the last picture that is me flying the boom.

Also, the boom operator did have Bose headsets, but they were his he had bought.

Best,
Rudy

Us AWACkers get Bose issued, however, I still use the old reliable DCs.
That is nice. I flew pre-Bose on the RC and a few of us could get DC's issued.

A buddy of mine told me that helmets are no longer issued for RC crews, is that the same in AWACS?

All the RCers are getting now are O2 masks.

I dont think AWACS crews were ever issued helmets and O2 masks. We just use headsets and airline style quick don masks that are prepositioned at each crew position.

Regarding the Bose, my old unit did issue the single plug military headsets (which I still get to use). It is not as valuable in a jet as it is in a prop plane, particularly one that is not pressurized.

Next, you need to try to get an incentive ride in an F-16! Watch the fuel flow go up to 58,000pph in afterburner! Do some air to air combat and pull some serious G!

Sounds like you had a great time.

At least in our wing the aircrew still are issued helmets and oxygen masks, along with DC or Bose. Most fun I've had flying in the military has been either in pit of the F-16, or wearing NVG's and playing door gunner in an HH-60.

Back