KBFI Practice areas in Foreflight

Seth.A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Seth.A
I got grounded due to wind today, so I thought I would take the time to learn more about foreflight. Turns out you can import .kml files to create custom map layers.

I mapped out the practice areas around Seattle and a 25nm radius circle around KBFI in google earth and exported it as a .kml file. If you open that file in foreflight it will save it as a custom map layer.

I thought I would share it in case any other students in the area would find it useful. These are the practice areas as defined by Galvin, so YMMV.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O38b2mkMr65Zl25H_6seHmHxsgT3-235/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• kbfi.jpg
    kbfi.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 36
Is this all the chatter I hear on 122.9 about being over such & such landmark in the "so & so practice area"?

122.75 is what we use in those areas, but yea. I believe those are used by both Galvin out of BFI and Rainier out of RNT.

My advice, don't venture below 4000 in those areas. Just a bunch of lost student pilots trying not to smash into each other. Pure bedlam when it gets busy. ;)

Pure bedlam when it gets busy.
Sounds like the area around Caddo Mills when it’s a nice day and all the airplanes from the different KADS schools are out flying.

So basically, the entire eastside from Mt. Rainier to Monroe.

Now I see why it's like flying through a beehive when I go to PLU for maintenance or to visit Spencer's :D

I need to put a cow-catcher on my plane's nosecone and sweep those cessnae aside in an orderly fashion.

Back