KBDU Direct KADS

ghayes

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ghayes
I'm attending a conference in Dallas the first week of June, so I'm planning to fly myself down from CO. It was recommended I make a post here for tips & tricks and possible meetups.

Obivously WX will play a big role in the fine details and actual dates, but my plan is to fly from KBDU to KADS June 1, probably making a stop if not for any other reason than to fill-in a few more states on my "map of states I've landed in". Returning to CO June 7.

Since this trip will be in the heart of T-Storm season, I plan to arrive KADS before noon. Likewise, I'd plan to depart KADS such that I will be arriving back at KBDU before noon. Sure that doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a planning point in any case.

I will be instrument current for the trip, so at least I shouldn't get stranded by a low lower. The Arrow I'll be flying isn't too well equiped and has no onboard WX instruments or services, so WX will play more of a role in the flight than what might otherwise on an IFR flight.

The conference, and hence my company-paid hotel reservations, starts June 2 and ends June 6. So I'd be interested to hear some cheap options for hotel/motel/camping near the airport, especially if I need to arrive a few days early and/or depart a few days late.

Among other things, this trip should be interesting since I haven't flown near sea level for about 5 years. That should prove exciting ... I'll have to remember to adjust for manifold pressure because around here, it's usually full throttle until you need to come down.

thanks

Consider ScottD's services. Online for sure, and then possible a one-on-one briefing. www.avwxworkshops.com

There are several hotel properties around the airport. But KADS is in a higher rent district, so I'm not sure what's there that's low priced. Just start calling and use the magic phrase, "what is the lowest rate you can give me".

What are your evening schedules like? We've been known to meet transient pilots for dinnner.

Consider ScottD's services. Online for sure, and then possible a one-on-one briefing. www.avwxworkshops.com

There are several hotel properties around the airport. But KADS is in a higher rent district, so I'm not sure what's there that's low priced. Just start calling and use the magic phrase, "what is the lowest rate you can give me".

What are your evening schedules like? We've been known to meet transient pilots for dinnner.
I don't know what Gary considers "low priced" but we stay at the HIE which is a few miles away and it is less than $100/night at the MillionAir rate.

If you come in on instruments, expect a STAR from the NW side of D/FW. If VFR, check ATIS to call approach at least ten miles out to coordinate coming in. ADS is class D under the D/FW--Love Field B. Check the Terminal Area Chart if VFR.
I use Million Air as an FBO. They have several hotels they have rates at you might check as Evershyward said. She's here quite a bit. The transient rate for 100LL is pretty high here on the field. May be worth a stop on the way in or out. Purchase enough fuel on the field to offset ramp and other fees. You'll need ground transportation. MA can arrange a rental car.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I use Million Air as an FBO. They have several hotels they have rates at you might check as Evershyward said. She's here quite a bit.

She's not shy, just somewhat reserved...

Back