KBAZ - New Braunfels?

HouTxPilot82

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HouTxPilot82
I did a quick search but found nothing recent for flying into this airport.

A friend of mine, who has flown with me a couple of times, wants to take his nephew over to the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. He thought it would be a nice experience to introduce his nephew to GA flight as well, and asked me if we can fly there.

From KSGR it's about 75 minutes to KBAZ in the 172s I usually rent. Schlitterbahn is about a 20 minute drive from there it seems. Anyone flown into KBAZ? What was the experience like? Friendly FBO? Car rental not too expensive? Just wanted to get some basic feedback. Thanks.

It's been awhile for me too, but it's a nice airport. Call ahead and they'll help you with the rental car. I always liked the airport and it has a nice terminal. 3 out of 4 reviews say it's good!

From Stan Siry on 08-Jul-2015
***** Fly in here from Virginia a few times a year and always a good experience. Called Heather 3 hours out and she arranged a rental on short notice. Eric met us and had the plane fueled for our departure a few days later. Good people and service.

From David Palmer on 04-Jul-2015
***** I will admit that I've had less than perfect service at this facility in the past, but this last trip was pitch perfect! Scott Weber couldn't have been more accommodating in terms of arranging for rental cars, making the facility available to us after regular hours or in terms of fuel service or even pulling up our airplane to the front door just prior to our departure. Great experience---we'll be back! Dave Palmer, Palmer Air Taxi, LLC 3 July 2015

From Steve Mustaikis on 29-Jun-2015
**** I called the day before our arrival and Heather set us up with a hotel and a rental car. They pulled the car out to the plane for us. The office staff was great. The line guy wasn't going to move our plane to a tie down until I asked him to because a storm was moving in. Fuel service was as requested.

From Sam M on 11-Jun-2015
** I've overnight here multiple times, every time it was a terrible experience. I am a very simple customer - I simply ask for a top off in my Cessna and expect a full fuel tank in the morning. All six times I've overnight they have forgotten to fuel my plane. Line guys stand around and don't offer any help on parking or tie down. They are more worried about smoking their cigarettes. No help on hotels or rental cars. Not related to this FBO, but the tower controllers are jerks for no reason. Plenty of greater fuel stops or places to overnight in the SAT/AUS area.

Flew into KBAZ 2 weeks ago, although it was a quick turn with no rentals involved, everyone was friendly and helpful.

A few years back there was a local brouhaha over the city kicking out a long-standing FBO and taking over that biz. There was a long thread about it here, but it's not been updated since 2012, so I don't know how it ended up (or if it's still smoldering).

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40952

I forgot about this. We used to fly in to the restaurant. The FBO's terminal was fine from most of us, but not for the new breed of pilot that wants a palace. The city built a very nice terminal and most people were still going to the old FBO... ticked them off a a little!

A few years back there was a local brouhaha over the city kicking out a long-standing FBO and taking over that biz. There was a long thread about it here, but it's not been updated since 2012, so I don't know how it ended up (or if it's still smoldering).

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40952

I've flown there since the change and they were nice with the courtesy car but did ask that we kept it to "a couple hours" If you're planning on the hitting the water park you'll want to get a rental.

Tower and FBO guys were nice. We didn't even buy fuel!

Uber should pick you up too.

Or Galveston you can walk across the parking lot to schlitterbahn from shoals airport.
Not the original but convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I looked up Uber a couple of days ago...seems they are not operating in that area, so I'd get a rental car or take a cab.

Do NOT take the cabs in New Braunfels. We go there several times per year (most recently on our way home from OSH), always stay at the Faust Hotel (check them out -- they have a microbrew pub on the first floor), and have routinely taken the cab.

In July (last month) that cab ride was up to $30, plus tip -- and we SHARED THE RIDE with another fare.

To put that in perspective, I am typing this from my room in the Menger Hotel (another grand, wonderful old hotel) in San Antonio. The cab ride from/to historic Stinson Field is $20, plus tip.

Worse, the taxi service in NB is terrible. We waited 45+ minutes for that cab.

My advice: Rent a car. Enterprise delivers to the airport. Have fun!

Or Galveston you can walk across the parking lot to schlitterbahn from shoals airport.

Yep. Park behind the Lone Star Museum. Cut through on your way to the park. See some awesome aircraft!

There is no comparison between the original Schlitterbahn in New Braunsfels and the other satellite locations. not in size nor features.

There is no comparison between the original Schlitterbahn in New Braunsfels and the other satellite locations. not in size nor features.

I haven't been to a water park in many years but this is what I've heard as well.

Also, thanks for the input, Jay. I've flown into Galveston a couple of times, but haven't yet checked out the museum - it's on my list of things to do.

I haven't been to a water park in many years but this is what I've heard as well.

Also, thanks for the input, Jay. I've flown into Galveston a couple of times, but haven't yet checked out the museum - it's on my list of things to do.

FYI, the Lone Star Museum is slated to eventually relocate to Ellington, and be located near two other aircraft museum venues, the Collings Foundation and the Texas Flying Legends...

Yeah, but that doesn't benefit the museum, and you don't get to see cool airplanes!
;)

That's true. I haven't been out to the LSFM in a while and I've never flown in for it. Need to do that... and teh 1940s air terminal museum. Sure, it's only a 10 minute flight, but flying would be more fun!

FYI, the Lone Star Museum is slated to eventually relocate to Ellington, and be located near two other aircraft museum venues, the Collings Foundation and the Texas Flying Legends...
Yeah, I thought that move was imminent, but there was no sign of an impending move when we were there last week. They've even restocked the gift shop, which was getting pathetically low on "stuff" to sell. (We get all the airplane key chains for the hotel rooms through their gift shop.)

For which I'm glad. Galveston, like so many, is a cool, dying airport. Take that museum away, and all that will be left are the helicopters that fly out to the rigs.

Also, the flight to Galveston from Port A is one of the prettiest in the U.S. :)

I stopped there in April for a few days. They didn't charge me tie down fees even though I only bought about 25 gallons of fuel. Nice place, friendly, I would recommend.

Back