KAZO - Kalamazoo, Michigan

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
I highly recommend people to make a trip over to the Air zoo. I posted inquiring if others have and didn't get alot of responses. I hear it's one of the 10 undiscovered places. For those that have been in the past they have new stuff then they did 2 years ago!

Kalamazoo approach was friendly to us and helped us with progressive taxi. :)

http://www.airzoo.org/

(no way affiliated with the trip and only go on days that you feel are safe for flight and all that other legal mombo-jumbo.)

Sara, we seem to be fated not to meet. I almost went to AZO for dinner today, then chickened out when I saw that two runways and a bunch of taxiways were NOTAM'd closed. Wasn't sure whether there was something going on there like at JXN and didn't want to make a wasted trip. I went up to BAX and then to 3DA instead.

For those who don't know, a short walk from Duncan Aviation at KAZO is a very nice Italian restaurant called Bravo. Everything is good there, but their whipped butter is especially scrumptious.

closed runways start on Saturday down a KAZO. :)

Well, we should organize a girls-only fly-in even if only to go eat Italian at the restaurant Liz mentioned. OK... I guess men might be welcome too, but only as our dates. Women PICs only flying in! :D

Sounds good Lynn. Be sure to PM me if you don't see me reply. I'm getting busy this month with work and airplane club business. :)

I'm afraid Leslie may be too busy until mid-September to even consider it. :(

How about the 21st or 22nd of September then?? That is a weekend off for me and nothing planned so far. We could meet for lunch and tour the Air Zoo or tour first and then have dinner... we can decide! :D

How about the 21st or 22nd of September then?? That is a weekend off for me and nothing planned so far. We could meet for lunch and tour the Air Zoo or tour first and then have dinner... we can decide! :D
Well, Saturday (the 22nd) is the Antigo fly-in in WI. Jamie and John would certainly appreciate our attending that! A Friday probably wouldn't work too well, especially given the time zone difference. Sunday the 23rd might work better!

That might be do-able. But, for lunch then, if we could... I have to work that night and dinner might put me back home late for work. :rolleyes2: Let's see what everyone else says though!

That might be do-able. But, for lunch then, if we could... I have to work that night and dinner might put me back home late for work. :rolleyes2: Let's see what everyone else says though!
The following weekend I'm hoping to be unavailable (in SF), and wouldn't be back until 10/27, and that would be skipping out on a class I plan to audit!

I'll pass on seeing the zoo again for "awhile" so if it's lunch first then i'd consider it. (it's only an hour flight for us)

Well, let's plan on the 23rd for lunch then! It's not a long flight for me either, IIRC. I'll talk to the (2) Lizs' at 6Y9 and hopefully, they can make it too. :D

Actually I wasn't thinking when I typed the original reply. I may be out of town that weekend. If the wx isn't good enough to go South then you can pencil me +1 in. But I predict we'll be able to skirt around any of the weather.

Bump for attendance count. Don't think I'll be making this one. Geez it's so close to me too but prior plans over rule it.

Well, let's plan on the 23rd for lunch then! It's not a long flight for me either, IIRC. I'll talk to the (2) Lizs' at 6Y9 and hopefully, they can make it too. :D

Well, only one of the Liz's showed up to 6Y9. I don't remember the topic coming up, but you shared a cabin, so maybe it did!

I might go, and spend the night out there. Unfortunately I'm no lady PIC, and noone wants to date someone dumb and ugly so I'll most likely be solo.

This Liz is a no-go for the weekend of Sept 22.

But, with a little more curl in his hair, I'm sure David could fill in for me.

A B C D E F G H I've got a gal in Kalamzoo.

Saturday lunchtime is out for me -- I'll be leading a hike somewhere close to home that day. Sunday may be doable -- depends of wx and work. Very much depends on work. Things are getting very busy around here...

Saturday lunchtime is out for me -- I'll be leading a hike somewhere close to home that day. Sunday may be doable -- depends of wx and work. Very much depends on work. Things are getting very busy around here...
We're definitely talking about SUNDAY, not Saturday.

BTT... Lunch on SUNDAY the 23rd?? Is everyone still up for this?? I'm celebrating my leaky primer knob getting fixed for a grand total of $35.00. I think that is the cheapest squawk repair I've ever had in almost 10 years of ownership. :D Can we meet for lunch around noon?? It does look like KAZO is on Eastern time, so please plan accordingly! :idea:

BTT... Lunch on SUNDAY the 23rd?? Is everyone still up for this?? I'm celebrating my leaky primer knob getting fixed for a grand total of $35.00. I think that is the cheapest squawk repair I've ever had in almost 10 years of ownership. :D Can we meet for lunch around noon?? It does look like KAZO is on Eastern time, so please plan accordingly! :idea:
We're still planning on it, and yes, KAZO is on Eastern time, just like Sidnaw. At least KAZO is towards the East! LOL

We're still planning on it, and yes, KAZO is on Eastern time, just like Sidnaw. At least KAZO is towards the East! LOL

Awesome! :D It should be fun! A reliable source in the Frederick family has also mentioned to me that there is a fly-in on Saturday the 22nd in Antigo, WI. Nothing but air this weekend (as it should be!) Wooo hoooo! :D

Awesome! :D It should be fun! A reliable source in the Frederick family has also mentioned to me that there is a fly-in on Saturday the 22nd in Antigo, WI. Nothing but air this weekend (as it should be!) Wooo hoooo! :D
Well, don't keep that Antigo fly-in a secret! "Juliett" and John want everyone there who can come! In fact, there's already a [thread=38000]thread[/thread] about it. Note that it was started a couple of years ago, so skip to the end to get the current stuff.

Well, don't keep that Antigo fly-in a secret! "Juliett" and John want everyone there who can come! In fact, there's already a [thread=38000]thread[/thread] about it. Note that it was started a couple of years ago, so skip to the end to get the current stuff.

Looks way fun... but looks a bit more do-able for you and Leslie as a fly-in for just a few hours, Grant! Take pictures for me and tell me all about it at lunch on Sunday. Have fun! :D

Weather looks good for this. David, are you going to make it?
Edit: Unfortunately, I couldn't find my medical in time for launch, so we had to scrub. Bummed that the lack of a piece of paper in our possession can keep us from flying legally!

Last edited:
Ugh!!! This TOTALLY slipped my mind or I would have been on my way about now... not a bad morning to fly either, winds a little sporting but right down the rwy here, and look fairly light at KAZO.

Actually I would have had to get a lot of work done yesterday that got pushed back... but I'd have managed somehow.

I should really subscribe to these threads to get reminders. They were there this time, I just missed them. Damn. :(

And how about that? My trip yesterday canceled, and my family was up for a skyline tour, so I figured I would shoot on over and say hi to whoever I could bump into. I was confused when they said I was the first one to fly in for the day! Flying in, we encountered some mild showers, so the plane looks cleaner :)

The museum was pretty cool, with an SR-71 inside, plenty of warbirds from all eras, and some cool art and memorial installations. The food was a bit lacking though. We did the 3D movie, and I started getting a little woozy so stopped watching. Not the best combo when you have to fly 30 minutes later.

On the way out, called up ground, they asked me destination and altitude, and I got transponder and departure frequency. As soon as I confirmed that, the fired the taxi directions at me. Whoa Nellie! Only other odd part, most likely my inexperience, when I was at hold short line for take-off, they didn't switch me to tower. So, I requested that and off we went. So, this was a bit of class D with class C services mixed in. Must be the TRSA effect :)

On the way out, called up ground, they asked me destination and altitude, and I got transponder and departure frequency. As soon as I confirmed that, the fired the taxi directions at me. Whoa Nellie! Only other odd part, most likely my inexperience, when I was at hold short line for take-off, they didn't switch me to tower. So, I requested that and off we went. So, this was a bit of class D with class C services mixed in. Must be the TRSA effect :)
Yes indeedy, KAZO has a TRSA which is a class D with an approach control and services that are similar to a Class C. I've never heard of anyone being told by ground to switch to tower once ready to go, though. I'm sure they'll do that if you try calling ground from the hold short line, but I was taught that once you're ready and at the hold short line or the run-up area, you just switch to tower yourself and announce ready for departure. Maybe expectations are different in the Chi-town area? Or maybe at one specific airport?

Ugh!!! This TOTALLY slipped my mind or I would have been on my way about now... not a bad morning to fly either, winds a little sporting but right down the rwy here, and look fairly light at KAZO.

Actually I would have had to get a lot of work done yesterday that got pushed back... but I'd have managed somehow.

I should really subscribe to these threads to get reminders. They were there this time, I just missed them. Damn. :(

UGH, Liz... today didn't turn out exactly as I expected either. Grant had some lost medical drama this morning (fortunately RESOLVED! since then :D) and so, thinking that no one else could make it, didn't go. I'm working tonight, so it wasn't really the best day for me anyway, so I was fortunate to be able to get some sleep this afternoon instead. :)

And how about that? My trip yesterday canceled, and my family was up for a skyline tour, so I figured I would shoot on over and say hi to whoever I could bump into. I was confused when they said I was the first one to fly in for the day! Flying in, we encountered some mild showers, so the plane looks cleaner :)

The museum was pretty cool, with an SR-71 inside, plenty of warbirds from all eras, and some cool art and memorial installations. The food was a bit lacking though. We did the 3D movie, and I started getting a little woozy so stopped watching. Not the best combo when you have to fly 30 minutes later.

And I'm sorry I missed meeting you, Dana... but glad you got to see the AirZoo with your family. That movie sounds amazing! I literally had my iPad in one hand just after getting filed for the flight over and my phone in the other, talking to Grant about the Hunt for the Lost Medical Certificate. UGH! Hopefully, next time we'll have better co-ordination. The last time I was at the AirZoo, I don't remember them having an IMAX movie. I'll for sure have to plan on seeing it next time.

Yes indeedy, KAZO has a TRSA which is a class D with an approach control and services that are similar to a Class C. I've never heard of anyone being told by ground to switch to tower once ready to go, though. I'm sure they'll do that if you try calling ground from the hold short line, but I was taught that once you're ready and at the hold short line or the run-up area, you just switch to tower yourself and announce ready for departure. Maybe expectations are different in the Chi-town area? Or maybe at one specific airport?

UGH, Liz... today didn't turn out exactly as I expected either. Grant had some lost medical drama this morning (fortunately RESOLVED! since then :D) and so, thinking that no one else could make it, didn't go. I'm working tonight, so it wasn't really the best day for me anyway, so I was fortunate to be able to get some sleep this afternoon instead. :)

And I'm sorry I missed meeting you, Dana... but glad you got to see the AirZoo with your family. That movie sounds amazing! I literally had my iPad in one hand just after getting filed for the flight over and my phone in the other, talking to Grant about the Hunt for the Lost Medical Certificate. UGH! Hopefully, next time we'll have better co-ordination. The last time I was at the AirZoo, I don't remember them having an IMAX movie. I'll for sure have to plan on seeing it next time.

Yeah, I'm sorry if the lone guy PIC on a trip that was designed for the gal PICs wound up tanking it! I am glad, though, that my medical issues are resolved, because I'm now set up for a gorgeous flight down to Louisville for a LifeLine flight on Monday morning.

Dang, I'd have loved to meet Dana!

I generally switch from ground to tower once I get to the hold short line and have finished my runup.

Shout out to Dr. Bruce for getting me up and running with a medical prior to my 8:30 AM launch on Monday! Luckily, I found a notary at a 24 hour currency exchange. To be honest, if I lived in the "boonies" I don't know if I could have done it from a logistics standpoint!

Yes, definitely my inexperience in towered airports showing there. At my home drome, I am typically only talking to chipmunks and birds, and they never declare their intentions!
For Grant, glad to hear the medical got sorted out quickly. I will say that is all the more amazing it was done a Sunday when most people are out for the day.

And, I look forward to meeting all of my fairly local internet gang, Grant, Lynn, Liz and more. You guys are very nice when fairly anonymous on the internet, which makes me look forward to meeting some very cool people in person.

For Flygirl (Lynn, I think?) - the theater is called 3D/4D, where the projection is 3D, but they also have scent fans that blow on you, and the chairs move in response to the movie. I can't remember what it is called at Disney Parks, but similar to that.

Oops, and should probably break at least one assumption with my name, like Grant, I would be a guy crashing the gal PICs meetup. I didn't post my intentions earlier as I wasn't sure when we would get there. Getting two wonderful women, wife and daughter, motivated in the morning on the weekend takes a little work, and I never quite know how long it will take until it is done :)

Yes, definitely my inexperience in towered airports showing there. At my home drome, I am typically only talking to chipmunks and birds, and they never declare their intentions!
For Grant, glad to hear the medical got sorted out quickly. I will say that is all the more amazing it was done a Sunday when most people are out for the day.

And, I look forward to meeting all of my fairly local internet gang, Grant, Lynn, Liz and more. You guys are very nice when fairly anonymous on the internet, which makes me look forward to meeting some very cool people in person.

For Flygirl (Lynn, I think?) - the theater is called 3D/4D, where the projection is 3D, but they also have scent fans that blow on you, and the chairs move in response to the movie. I can't remember what it is called at Disney Parks, but similar to that.

Oops, and should probably break at least one assumption with my name, like Grant, I would be a guy crashing the gal PICs meetup. I didn't post my intentions earlier as I wasn't sure when we would get there. Getting two wonderful women, wife and daughter, motivated in the morning on the weekend takes a little work, and I never quite know how long it will take until it is done :)

Yeah... well, we're even COOLER in person, don't ya know! :rofl: :rolleyes: And that's OK about being a guy. Some of my favorite people are guys, including the one I married, so you can still come and hang out with us. The all-woman PIC thing was just because Sara started this thread and the Liz(s) and Leslie could probably have been persuaded to fly along with me too, if everyone's weekend schedules were to work out! Besides, you never know... is your wife interested in getting her private certificate?? You'll find you get a little spoiled being part of a two-pilot couple and can take turns flying so neither of you gets too stale on a long cross-country. So... all of that said... don't despair. We'll plan another local get-together soon. You can't get away that easily. :D

Sounded like a fun place - took 2 students from the local flight school - took the club Cardinal from KBJJ - and made the trip up saturday - dodging weather going up and back - 3.8 hours of IMC - must say that airzoo is a nice place!!

Grant, glad to hear you got the medical sorted out finally! When you first mentioned it I assumed you'd just misplaced it temporarily... what a bummer to have to get a replacement! That's why I never touch mine except every two years, and always keep it in the same billfold inside my purse inside my knapsack that goes everywhere I go. The only way I'll lose it is if someone steals my knapsack... and believe me, the instant they try to pick it up, they're in for a surprise! :devil:

Dana, no biggie, guys are welcome too at these, thanks for setting us all straight. Looking forward to meeting you, and everyone else on this thread! (I think I met Grant a long time ago at Lake Lawn, but my memory is really fuzzy, and made fuzzier by the fact that the meetup was only the start of an adventure that ended with my getting a ride back home to PHN with a total stranger).

Sorry to hear the meetup Sunday was a fizzle, but on the positive side, I guess that means we'll be planning another one soon, and this time I'll stay tuned so I don't forget. :yes:

Grant, glad to hear you got the medical sorted out finally! When you first mentioned it I assumed you'd just misplaced it temporarily... what a bummer to have to get a replacement! That's why I never touch mine except every two years, and always keep it in the same billfold inside my purse inside my knapsack that goes everywhere I go. The only way I'll lose it is if someone steals my knapsack... and believe me, the instant they try to pick it up, they're in for a surprise! :devil:

Dana, no biggie, guys are welcome too at these, thanks for setting us all straight. Looking forward to meeting you, and everyone else on this thread! (I think I met Grant a long time ago at Lake Lawn, but my memory is really fuzzy, and made fuzzier by the fact that the meetup was only the start of an adventure that ended with my getting a ride back home to PHN with a total stranger).

Sorry to hear the meetup Sunday was a fizzle, but on the positive side, I guess that means we'll be planning another one soon, and this time I'll stay tuned so I don't forget. :yes:

And HERE is our chance!

http://www.nafinet.org/teamwork.aspx

Grant P. left me this link on my FB page and I'm interested in going if the weather co-operates! I thought I might RON for this one and then have time to tour the Air Zoo without being rushed through it to make it to dinner on time. I'll have to chat with the other half about this, he stood me up on our last "date" last night, but I have never heard Captain Haynes give his United 232 presentation before and would like to before the opporutnities go away.

Last edited:
I've booked a plane for this, and my SIL's SO is interested in coming (and it would be her first personal aircraft flight). Still unsure about Leslie and her sister. BTW, use the code NAFIMember when checking out if you are coming, and the tickets for dinner are only $25, instead of $75. You do not need to be a NAFI member to use that code!

I don't think we can RON, because we have a 99's holiday luncheon on Sunday.

Back