KAUS Austin Texas

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
A question for the Austin pilots.
Do they have radar up and running after the flood?
Is IFR clearance working faster?

They're still working on some things, but as far as I know TRACON is back up. Other than that it will be several weeks before everything is back to normal.

Last edited:
As far as i know Radar is fully functional and they confirmed they had me on radar. I have flown through their airspace numerous times since heavy rains and everything seems to be fully functioning as far as i can tell. What is still being worked on?

looking at notams; not seeing anything like was there during the flood

There are several delays and metered flights. Houston / San Antonio has been handling all radar services.

If you want actual information about ABIA, you can always just check their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/abia/

Or their website:
http://www.austintexas.gov/airport

The Federal Aviation Administration reopened the Austin air traffic control tower after making initial repairs to damage from flooding. The move to the permanent tower cleared the way for Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to reopen its remaining runway.

While this move should greatly increase the airport’s capacity, the radar room in the tower’s base building will remain out of service for several weeks while crews repair extensive damage caused by more than a foot of water that invaded the facility.

The FAA is completing tests of temporary equipment that should allow us to transfer radar services to the San Antonio radar approach control. In the interim, controllers in our Houston Air Route Traffic Control Center continue to provide flight separation services.

Due to limitations in the Houston Center’s radar coverage of the Austin metro area, the agency must meter the volume of flights for safety reasons.

One suggest d mod to the radar room.... Change the bottom shelf height for the computers to 24" and make all of the cable runs along the ceiling.

One suggest d mod to the radar room.... Change the bottom shelf height for the computers to 24" and make all of the cable runs along the ceiling.

Right! Did you see those pics on their page? That room got washed out bad!

The trailer they had was pretty cool though:

12132622_941661272550378_7105311070757398364_o.jpg

Love the charcoal grill in the photo

I flew out of KAUS today. The tower and TRACON are both operational from their normal working positions in the tower building.

They are back to 100% capacity.

Nice they put a sign out there to remind folks this is an official air traffic tow-er

Right! Did you see those pics on their page? That room got washed out bad!

The trailer they had was pretty cool though:

12132622_941661272550378_7105311070757398364_o.jpg
Are these really pictures of the temporary setup?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am headed there next week. I am glad to know they are back to normal traffic capabilities.

Back