Kath's North America Adventure, Part V (Southern edition)

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Our last episode [https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...rica-adventure-part-iv-dallas-edition.123894/] brought me as far as Tuscaloosa, Alabama. It's been another month and a half since then, and another six states (GA, FL, GA again, SC, VA, WV, and PA).

First, I stopped in Atlanta, where I got to meet a bunch of PoAers -- see photo here: [https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/atlanta-folks.124270/page-2#post-2874232]
My stay at Georgia Tech would turn out to be my last "university stop" for a while... from there, I headed toward Florida. Big thanks to @JOhnH, not only for putting me up for the night in Ormond Beach, but for arranging for an impromptu tiedown space at the airport, where all the FBO's tiedowns were occupied. (Serves me right for not realizing that it was the weekend of the Daytona 500!)

I was trying to flex my IFR muscles a little more, now that I was someplace where the freezing level wasn't too low. Got some nice IMC time on the way to Ormond, and a whole lot more (uncomfortable) time going from Ormond to Stuart through big puffy things full of bumps and uplift. Then on to Key West... for no particular reason other than to try to get as far as one can go, and see what that's like!

Key West (EYW) is pretty amazing, although not for the feint-of-wallet. My Airbnb was "boat camping" on a 22-foot sailboat anchored in Cow Channel, that you can only get to by kayak. But it does come with unlimited use of a kayak, which you can also use to explore mangrove mazes hidden amongst the townhomes and boat channels.

I was melting and easily dehydrated in the >80-degree heat, but spent a day playing tourist at the Southernmost Point in the contiguous U.S. and the Hemingway House. It was a real blessing to have brought along the folding bike on this trip; biking is hands-down the best way to explore the 5-mile-across island, whose attraction-packed "old town" is thronged with tourists and snowbirds.

I hadn't made any particular plans after Key West, other than to get to West Virginia by the first week in March. EYW represented an important emotional milestone on this trip: the literal half-way point, an achievement, after which all other flights would be part of the return trip home. As a result of this, I needed some time to decompress and rest. Fortunately, a former IceCuber who lives in Everglades City offered me a guest room respite for a few days, and it turns out that its airport (X01) is an absolutely lovely place, right on the water by a section of Everglades Park called the "Ten Thousand Islands", and also an easy folding-bike ride around the small town.

I tried to eat nothing but seafood during my time in South Florida... blue crab, stone crab, snapper, conch chowder, shrimp, fried oysters, raw oysters... Mmmmmm!

Moving northward, I based the airport stops on the advice of people I met along the way: the recommendation of @JOhnH (as well as others) led me to Arcadia (X06) for the airport-camping... where I stayed up way too late drinking around the campfire with an RV-10 pilot who recommended Jekyll Island (09J)... where I got taken out to lunch by some of the RedBug/FBO guys who recommended Charleston SC (LRO)... where I spent a few days being a history-tourist. As a Californian (or worse: an Alaskan), I don't get to see very many hundreds-of-years-old things that you can still touch and walk amongst.

I encountered lots of wind and turbulence flying north from there towards West Virginia, and ended up trapped on the wrong side of the Appalachians for several days, finding the way blocked by clouds or snow or strong winds or a combination thereof. Ended up spending one night at a very friendly B&B just up the road from the Blue Ridge Airport, and two nights in a sleeping bag spread on the floor of the pilot snooze room at Shenandoah Valley Airport, waiting for the weather to improve. But finally made it.

Now I'm back to University life for a while, at WVU (Morgantown / MGW), hijacking the office of a friend and trying to get some work done. Yesterday, it was a beautiful day to fly and so we grabbed another astronomy faculty member, put her aviation-obsessed 12-year-old in the co-pilot's seat, and flew to Arnold Palmer Airport for Sunday brunch at their very good Rat-Pack-themed airport restaurant. I'll be here in WV probably for another week.

Next stops: UNV, U of Delaware, and somewhere in the D.C. area probably near Annapolis....

tripmap_morgantown.png

P.S. tried to upload some pictures here, but they are all "too large for the server to process"... Will have to go through and do some size-reductions... in the meantime, there are lots of pictures on the blog (http://beetlejuiceadventure.wordpress.com).

P.P.S. My physics experiment, IceCube, wrote up a nice little piece about my trip for their news feed, which can be found here: [https://icecube.wisc.edu/news/], if you then scroll down a bit to Feb. 11th. (The same news feed has some nice pictures of a Basler BT-67 landing at the South Pole Station... if you like pretty airplanes...)

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed Florida! Hope you got to sample some authentic Key lime pie. Nowhere better than Key West to get the real stuff.

Did you visit Mallory Dock for a sunset?

I might suggest as a wrap-up to your amazing sabbatical a small airplane gathering that occurs in Wisconsin in July...

Big thanks to @JOhnH, not only for putting me up for the night in Ormond Beach, but for arranging for an impromptu tiedown space at the airport, where all the FBO's tiedowns were occupied. (Serves me right for not realizing that it was the weekend of the Daytona 500!)
Leslie and I always enjoy following your exploits. You are an inspiration, not only to young women, but to everyone.

As for the Daytona 500, you are lucky you didn't come to town THIS week. We have slightly over half a million Harley Davidsons in town for Bike Week. One of the big gathering points is near the intersection of US1 and Airport Road. It can make it tricky getting to the airport (KOMN) at times. And an unbelievable number of people have their bikes shipped in and have them waiting for them to fly in.

Glad you had a good time in Key West (Southernmost Point) and also at Arcadia and Everglades City. You seem to have done Florida right.

Just read your blog. Are you still stuck in Virginia or did you manage to get back home?

Excellent blog! When the "stay in place" lifts, and you're out near Delaware Airpark (KGED) or fly the eastern shore (Ocean City MD KOXB) post in advance. Maybe a POA meet up??

Awesome! I picked up my 210 at the Shenandoah Valley Airport when I bought her!

@Sinistar: I'm still in Morgantown WV, since March 1st. Decided to just stay here until things quiet down -- got a monthly tiedown rate at the airport. I don't need to be back in Alaska until August when Fall classes start back up, so we'll just have to see how things shake out.

@GMascelli: Yeah, Delaware was supposed to be next on the list, and I'm still hopeful I'll be able to visit at some point, if the university reopens... if so, yes, POA meetup!

@cgrab: I wanted to go to First Flight (and Okracoke, and other places around there on the coast), but had a "hard date" colloquium talk in West Virginia and didn't want to push the weather getting there... there are many destinations now piling up on the "next time" list. Long list.

Glad you enjoyed Key West. It's an interesting place. Grew up there, now live in Charlottesville (KCHO) across the mountains from your KSHD stop. Stay safe in WV. BTW, your sailboat was in "Cow KEY Channel", the reference to which brought back many pleasant memories from my childhood boating days.

Back