Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Checkride: passed!

Now for the long version.....
Being the bookish academic sort (and having taken one other checkride with the same DE), I knew that I could get through the oral. The questions focused on preflight planning, choosing routes, choosing alternates, weather requirements for alternates, and departure procedures.

The only "stumper" on the oral was this one: What are the fuel requirements for IFR flight with an alternate. "Easy" I thought, and spouted out the regulation about flying to your destination, and then the alternate, and then flying some more for 45 minutes. "So what is considered 'flying to your destination'?" asked the DE. "Does that mean flying a complete approach and landing? Or just flying over it and then continuing on to your destination, or what?" I wasn't sure of the answer, but I was pretty sure it was not flying an entire approach; what I've done for planning was drawn basically a straight line between an enroute fix (preferably one which is also an IAF for the airport) assuming a VFR-style approach to landing and figuring that the details will work themselves out. According to the DE the answer is that you need enough fuel to "set up for an approach" but not actually fly one. I'm not clear on what exactly that means (and I didn't volunteer my ignorance by asking!).

Part two: the flight. I was so nervous! Due to weather cancellations, I hadn't flown at all in almost two weeks. Out to the practice area; one unusual attitude. No problem, and the DE seemed satified with just the one and didn't ask for another... straight to the first approach! GPS 32 at Fitchburg, with autopilot. I had this one pretty much in hand, except for the RAIM check with I almost forgot about but remembered just in time before getting to the FAF.

The DE was conducting the flight in a few ways differently from what I was used to, and these little differences were starting to throw off my groove. For one thing, he wanted me to make all radio calls (including the traffic related calls). So whenever ATC called traffic, I had to say "looking for traffic" and then relay the DE's observations to ATC. I found this a little awkward, and definately increased the workload. I'm used to my instructor handling traffic-related radio calls. Secondly, the DE was being "fake ATC" for the practice approaches at the nontowered airports, yet he wanted me to (also) call up Boston Approach so they'd know what we were doing. Approach gave us a squawk and treated us like I was used to for practice approaches. So I was getting two sets of vectors and clearances the whole time... one from my "fake ATC" (the DE) and one from the real ATC. This also, effectively, doubled the workload since I had to respond to and write down twice as much stuff, and made things really confusing. I got cleared twice for everything.

The next approach, VOR/DME 21 at Minuteman, was a total disaster. I'm not sure how many different ways one can screw up an approach, but it seemed like I hit all the major ones. :) I got way off my altitude while futzing over writing stuff down (plenty outside PTS--but it was bumpy and I guess I got some "bumpiness points"). Due perhaps to the ATC/fakeATC confusion, I lost track of who I was talking to, and once overwrote Boston Approach's frequency, and on a different occasion out of habit keyed the mic while responding to a vector from my "fake ATC" -- the DE actually reached over and removed my finger from the PTT button (not before broadcasting a garbled half fake clearance on Fitchburg's CTAF I think) :) I forgot to hit OBS mode on the GPS prior to the IAF/procedure turn. While trying to fix the GPS problem (it had auto-sequenced to the FAF in leg mode), I got the GPS stuck in some wack cursor-mode and has having trouble getting out of it. The DE "solved" the problem by turning the GPS off. Relieved at first, I continued flying the approach, and halfway down the final approach segment before realizing that without the GPS there is no way to identify the MAP. "Crap!" I yelled, and hit full throttle. "We can't do this approach!" I said. "Why not?" asked the DE. "There's no way to identify the MAP without this!" I said, tapping on the blank GPS screen. "It's VOR approach," said the DE. "No, it's a VOR/DME approach," I said. The DE muttered something almost under his breath, but it sounded like "You're right, I'm wrong." He then restored the GPS, and I got my DME functionality back... but the approach was already missed and we moved on. "You made the right decision," said the DE. I'm still not sure whether this was intentional on the DE's part (to test me) or a mistake. But it was an illustrative lesson, in any case, and probably the thing that I learned the most from during the ride.

At this point, it felt like the ride had been a total train wreck. Between the "double ATC's" and the confusion and the GPS problems and the missed approach and chasing my altitude all over the place, I felt barely on the edge of it all. It was like "franticness" was a liquid that was slowly filling up my body and would eventually reach my brain and end it all. But no one had said I'd failed yet...

Then we moved on to the ILS 29 back at Bedford the home drome. Vectors (thank god!) and from the real ATC this time (thank god!). The DE gave me a visual/autopilot break as we puttered on back, which I desperately needed to clear my head. I flew a pretty good ILS, which I was pretty proud of... and finished with a bouncy substandard landing.

All in all, I am amazed that I passed. If I were the DE, I don't think I would have passed me. The first and last approaches were good, but that VOR/DME 21 was just so out of control! So now I've got a shiny white piece of paper, but I don't feel terribly elated. I don't feel like celebrating. I feel like I "got away" with something. Maybe I just have a perspective twisted by overly high standards... I don't know. I'm just glad it's over, and I can start punching through wafer-thin stratus layers here and there. I'm going to go to sleep and let my brain ooze out of my ears now.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the wisdom and moral support! :blowkiss:

--Kath

Congratulations!!! Sounds like a good day, one in which you learned while proving what you know. That would be the ultimate checkride in my point

Congratulations! Sounds like you had quite a work-out!

kath said:
Maybe I just have a perspective twisted by overly high standards... I don't know.

Quite possible. :)

He must have seen what he needed to see through all of that. I hope you will be able to see how well you did after a good night's sleep. :)

To quote my CFI when I asked him about teaching perfectionists:

"Perfectionists are tough students, only because they can't meet their own expectations."

Kath -

Congrats again. You said this was the second ride with the DPE. Did you far and away impress him on the first ride? Maybe the dual ATC was a way to see how much cockpit workload you could handle. Was the altitude bust high or low? If it was high, no harm, no foul. If it was low...hmmm...that's the DPE's call...

Either way, you've got your ticket and that's all that matters.

"Crap!" I yelled, and hit full throttle. "We can't do this approach!" I said. "Why not?" asked the DE. "There's no way to identify the MAP without this!" I said, tapping on the blank GPS screen. "It's VOR approach," said the DE. "No, it's a VOR/DME approach," I said.

That is why you passed the ride. Overloaded, behind, you still made decisions well and discovered his error. DPEs like that, because you display good decisionmaking and awareness of the overall situation.

Congratulations! This is the hardest skill of all the ratings. Even ATP (after instrument) was easier.

kath said:
Thanks to everyone on this forum for the wisdom and moral support! :blowkiss:

--Kath

Congrats, Kath, sounds like you handled yourself well, and the DE was putting it to ya!

N2212R said:
Congrats again. You said this was the second ride with the DPE. Did you far and away impress him on the first ride? Maybe the dual ATC was a way to see how much cockpit workload you could handle. Was the altitude bust high or low? If it was high, no harm, no foul. If it was low...hmmm...that's the DPE's call...

My private ride with this DE a year ago was a really good experience. Not my best performace ever, but I felt like I'd done pretty good (my steep turn was awesome!), I learned a few things from the guy, and walked away feeling triumphant.

The altitude bust was high. They're always high, as I subconciously pull the yoke when I'm nervous. :eek:

I realized this morning that, as PIC for the flight, when the "double ATC" thing was messing me up, I should've just told Boston Approach to go away (or told the DE to!) :) Something like "Boston Approach, we don't need vectors for the approaches, just traffic alerts" or even "Boston Approach, request terminate radar services." Problem solved. Be the PIC dammit! Take charge! When will I learn not to obey the well-meaning suggestions of others just because they're more experienced than I? Too much respect for authority figures, that's it....

--Kath

Last edited:
Congrats Kath !

Going missed on the VOR/DME approach proves that you didn't "get away with it". That's exactly the kind of flying an IFR PIC does. I think the radio work is one of the most difficult parts of the checkride. Especially if you're working with TWO ATCs.

I'm like you in regards to nervousness and that yoke. I subconsciously try to "hold up" the plane with my left index finger. Especially true on new approaches. It's like as long as I feel the pressure in my hand then I'm in better control and we're not going to fall out of the sky.

Good show ! Stay current & proficient... welcome to the club.

Congratulations, and welcome to the IR club! Sounds like you learned a lot and came away from the experience a better pilot. That matters more than anything else.

Now, get yourself a safety pilot and go up and hammer some approaches, make yourself feel better about them. Venture into some light actual, or some hard actual with a CFI, and spend some time on instruments without foggles.

Use your new ticket. It just gets better :)

Jim G

Congrats. Who was the DE? I am a perfectionist, too, and was disappointed on both of my rides even though I passed - weird, huh?

Great story, Kath, and good judgement. The DE's looking to see if you are in control of the plane and the situation. Sounds like you did well.

The instrument ride is the hard one, it will wring you out.

Congratulation!!! now the real learning begins.

Yeah, same guy I used (twice). He presents as a bit gruff, but he's the nicest guy. My IR ride a couple years ago got weathered out and I ended up grabbing lunch with him at Hanscom. Then it got rescheduled down at N. Central (near where he lives) and he showed up in his captain's uniform 'cause he had to go right to work after the ride (I think he flew MD-80's for Continental back then, although he learned to fly in the same 150's I used at Marlboro Airport). I tried to bag out of my IR ride due to high winds but he wouldn't let me, and he was right. I remember on my private ride making a simply horrible landing and thinking "OK, NEXT one I'm going to nail it" but I never got the chance. He just said "OK, pull up to the pumps - you're a pilot." I also remember feeling comfortable enough with him on the private ride to ask some questions - his checkrides almost felt like just another couple hours of dual instruction. Congrats again...

Kath: WAY 2 GO Congrats on the IR. I think Bruce is right. You made a good call on the VOR/DME approach. I recall on my PP check ride I botched the first thing the DPE asked me to do! I was so nervous I used the wrong scale on my plotter. I plotted a course of 100 degrees to get from Philly to Providence. @#$% I was headed to Bermuda not Rhode Island. As soon as I got airborne and stabilized I realized my mistake announced it to the DPE and corrected it ( pretty well I might add) on the fly. I even told her how I made the mistake. She actually praised me for catching the error. She said every single pilot will make a mistake in his or her flying career, the bigger problem comes in not recognize and correcting you mistakes.

Congratulations Kath.

Both the instructor who signed you off for the ride and DE felt you demonstrated the right skills - you're like I was on my checkride, much harder on yourself. Enjoy the accomplishment!

Congratulations, Kath! Well done :dance:

bbchien said:
That is why you passed the ride. Overloaded, behind, you still made decisions well and discovered his error. DPEs like that, because you display good decisionmaking and awareness of the overall situation.

I was going to say the same thing Bruce. Kath, the DE is far more concerned that you don't continue with an approach gone bad than how perfectly you fly one that works out. Whether or not he intended to make you miss, I'm certain you impressed him with the abort, which was clearly the right thing to do and something that a lot of IR pilots wouldn't have done as decisively.

So a hearty Congratulations on a job well done!

BTW I agree with your suspicion that the DE's "mistake" was inintentional. After all it sounds like he didn't even require you to complete the three required approaches!

Last edited:
Hey Kath,

Big Congratulations :dance:

Stop on by & I'll buy ya a couple of Hurricanes :)

Congratulations, KAth! No DME arc? How about partial panel? (Can you tell I'm worried about my ride?)

Ben,
PP wasn't a big deal, even for my average skill level. We did the VOR/DME-22 at KRWI partial panel, circling to 04, missed and then out to the hold. The technical stuff I didn't sweat it was all the PIC-stuff (aka ADM) that I was worried about.

Ben, you're over-prepared as usual. Go take the ride already, will ya ?!! :)

kath said:
Checkride: passed!

Now for the long version.....

Congratulations Kath! :dance:

Great story.

It sounds like your DE loaded you up and you did good making the right calls. Knowing what to do when things are stacking up against you is a very important skill.

You've come a long way in the last couple years. I recall you having a tough time with landings way back when...now you don't even need to see where you're going. You're doing good.

Safe flying. Keep learning one small step at a time.

Frank.

Back