KASG Springdale, AR

Ain't that sumthin.....

I've been to KASG a couple times and always wondered if they even have enough traffic there to justify being class D with a control tower. IMHO, that airport would do just fine as a towerless class E or G airport.

ETA: Fayetteville/Drake KFYV too.

Last edited:
Actually, there is a lot of high dollar traffic into Springdale and Drake. Especially during football season. Good test when I took my checkride at Drake during football season on home game day. For all you close flyers, Drake KFYV is having "airport days" this Saturday 7/18. Price of admission to Arkansas Air/Military Museum gets you a pancake breakfast or dogs n burgers for lunch. Don't know what is planned or how fun it is as this will be my first.

I've been to KASG a couple times and always wondered if they even have enough traffic there to justify being class D with a control tower.

There's a lot of traffic total at those six other airports in the immediate vicinity of XNA. And more traffic yet in the air coming/going/transitioning. It's an extremely busy area...by Midwest/Midsouth standards. The tower may be as much about coordinating traffic with Razorback Approach as they are about the airport itself.

Or maybe not...

:dunno:

Apparently he was a little too Woo Pig Sueweeeeee !!!

There's a lot of traffic total at those six other airports in the immediate vicinity of XNA. And more traffic yet in the air coming/going/transitioning. It's an extremely busy area...by Midwest/Midsouth standards. The tower may be as much about coordinating traffic with Razorback Approach as they are about the airport itself.

Or maybe not...

:dunno:

I had a memorable stop at KASG back in '98 in my Mooney. (Long story) I waived to it again yesterday as I passed it while on a visual into KXNA for the first time flying the CRJ.

HAHAHA

He said a maintenance employee found Philip Maschek, 50, shirtless and unconscious on the floor. When officers arrived on scene and entered the tower, they noticed Maschek swaying back and forth.

Walmart, Hunt, Tyson. But I think they use KXNA, as I did in my C-150. The line attendant said it was the first time he had pumped 100LL.

Lots of alcoholics in the world. He will suffer the consequences, which should include never controlling aircraft again, and hopefully get sober (permanently) as a result.

Walmart, Hunt, Tyson. But I think they use KXNA, as I did in my C-150. The line attendant said it was the first time he had pumped 100LL.

WalMart is at Rogers, not XNA. I think that's where Tyson is too...but not sure.

I thought JB Hunt went bankrupt...but can't swear to that one either.

Of course, people coming in for business might land at any of the area airports...

Wal-Mart basically paid for XNA to be built.

I thought JB Hunt went bankrupt...but can't swear to that one either.

Nope, I was wrong on that one. But they're over in Lowell which is sandwiched between Springdale and Rogers so I doubt they have much of a need for XNA.

When I was over there, there really wasn't any GA to speak of at XNA, even corporate, only commercial. It's in the sticks compared to FAY, ASG and ROG.

Last edited:
Wal-Mart basically paid for XNA to be built.

Walmart was definitely the reason it was built (along with the fact that FAY is on the river and frequently fogs in all morning...not conducive for commercial service) but I seriously doubt they paid for or financed anything.

I don't think they paid for anything with cash, but they might have had to call in a few markers. :)

Back