KASG Springdale, AR Pirep

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
http://www.flaps-down.com/
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KASG

I flew here yesterday for lunch. Inbound, Razorback approach was friendly and once over to tower, the controller sounded gruff. Traffic was light.

I taxied to self serve and found the grounding cable in poor repair, kinked and no handle to coil it back on the spindle. After poking my hand twice on frayed wires, I taxied over tot the ramp and went inside the FBO. Pretty nice inside and flight training was going on. You could hear the restaurant from the lobby pretty loud.

Upstairs, FlapsDown grill was open. A short bar is avail for those non-PIC types. The lunch menu is heavy on Cajun fare. I had a cup of seafood gumbo and bowl of red beans and rice. I had initially tried to order three other entrees but was told they were out. May have been do to a party of about 20 people though.

The food was pretty darn good and arrived fast. I made the mistake of having 4 glasses of Pepsi, which haunted me on the flight home:eek:

The FBO has the usual amenities, but only one computer for weather briefings. Popcorn was popping while I asked the desk if there was a ramp fee. He asked if I needed gas and I told him I bought 15 gallons at self serve before coming in. He said no problem and have a great flight.

When leaving, I contacted ground and was asked if I wanted flight following. I had a squawk before taxiing. There is a compass rose for VOR checks on the 18 end of the west Taxiway.

Departure was uneventful land at 1000 AGL I was handed off to Razorback Approach.

Other than the sold out status of my favorite Cajun options at Flaps Down Grill, I think I will fly the family up in the future.

Cool pirep!

I've flown past Springdale countless times but never stopped in... Might have to change that...

I've always liked Springdale and that restaurant. That's a new name though and a new menu. Didn't have Cajun last time I was there...I LIKE Cajun, might have to make it over there sometime in the near future.

I was going to warn about the compass rose being on the runway but I looked at Google Earth and see they moved it!

attachment.php

It used to be up at the far north end of the taxiway and you can still faintly see the outline of it there. Then they moved the "hold short" line at the same time they displaced the threshold. This put the rose on the active side of the hold short line. It was that way for a few years. :eek:

Now I see that they added a new "pull off" area farther south and relocated the compass rose to that location.

WHY they moved the hold short line to the south so that some of "the parallel taxiway" is now part of "the runway" I don't know...someone here might be able to edumacate me. It used to be at the throat of the "connector" just like it is on the first "connector" to the south.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
No idea why the hold short is there. Woulda made since to have the old rose as a run up area.

It may be that the ILS critical area required the funny hold short. You don't want airplanes in the area during IMC weather.

It may be that the ILS critical area required the funny hold short. You don't want airplanes in the area during IMC weather.

Those markings are a standard runway hold short line, not ILS critical area.

The ILS critical area hold short consists of yellow boxes versus the standard runway hold short of 4 rows of lines, 2 solid, 2 dashed.

My wife and I stopped there en route from MN to San Antonio for the Mooney convention the first year we had our M20C. Great service with great humor made for a memorable lunch stop she still talks about 17 years later.

No idea why the hold short is there. Woulda made since to have the old rose as a run up area.

It's lined up with the threshold. It cost me an ASRS report last time I went there. Tower said it happened all the time.

Pay attention.

Food was good though.

I can see that happening. Just an odd place for the hold short.

Back