KAPA, KCFO hangar needed

Fastglas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GK
Hello! I have a Glasair (low wing) that needs a hangar and I am interested in finding something at APA or CFO.

We ended up moving from Dallas this summer and live south of Denver by about 20 miles. Anticipating this move, I put my name on the hangar wait list last year at Centennial only to find that my name advanced up the list by one slot. At this rate, I think I’d clear the list sometime in 2040.

So, I am now hunting around for anything. I have started recently searching for a lease at CFO. And, I’m also looking for even a shared hangar space lease as well.

This may be a long shot but if anyone here has any leads or knows of something that might be available, I’m all ears. I want to avoid hail shed parking if at all possible — new paint, new avionics completed last year. I guess the plane is going to need to stay in Dallas till I can figure out a decent situation here.

Thank you in advance!!

When I lived North of Denver, I hangared my plane in CYS (Cheyenne, WY). Hangars are impossible to come by in CO due to the rapid overcrowding :). You may have to look further away, or get creative, or be open to tiedowns.

Hello! I have a Glasair (low wing) that needs a hangar and I am interested in finding something at APA or CFO.

We ended up moving from Dallas this summer and live south of Denver by about 20 miles. Anticipating this move, I put my name on the hangar wait list last year at Centennial only to find that my name advanced up the list by one slot. At this rate, I think I’d clear the list sometime in 2040.

So, I am now hunting around for anything. I have started recently searching for a lease at CFO. And, I’m also looking for even a shared hangar space lease as well.

This may be a long shot but if anyone here has any leads or knows of something that might be available, I’m all ears. I want to avoid hail shed parking if at all possible — new paint, new avionics completed last year. I guess the plane is going to need to stay in Dallas till I can figure out a decent situation here.

Hi there,
It may be early for me say, but if you are still looking for space in the Denver area, I am under contract for a hangar and I could accommodate your plane if/when the sale goes through.

A year ago, rental in community hangar at KAPA was $750/mo and up. Front Range (KCFO) has private company building T hangars, call and get the contact info, the new website is crap. 303 261 4100. You may have more luck at KFLY meadowlake.

You can dramatically increase your chances of getting a Port-a-Port hangar at KAPA simply by cruising the hangar rows on a weekend morning looking for "For Sale" or "For Rent" signs. That's how I got two of them in a six-month stretch while I was based there. The Port-a-Ports are on the south ramp just east of the tower.

Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up over at CFO. I spent some time trying to understand the personality of KAPA and decided that CFO fit my expectations a bit better.

What I did at CFO was to print up about 200 letters and had my kids run around and slide them under the hangar doors. Within 48 to 72 hours, it turned out some great opportunities for shared space.

In the end, through all of this searching, I happened across an unadvertised deal to buy one of the large 55’ hangars from an owner who was moving to another city which I did pursue. In the meantime, I also did visit some of the other shared space hangars, and I now have some new friends at the airport. It all worked out in the end fortunately.

I agree with your post that if you are willing to put in the effort, something will turn up.

You can dramatically increase your chances of getting a Port-a-Port hangar at KAPA simply by cruising the hangar rows on a weekend morning looking for "For Sale" or "For Rent" signs. That's how I got two of them in a six-month stretch while I was based there. The Port-a-Ports are on the south ramp just east of the tower.

I was wondering where the hell CFO was so I looked it up... I didn't realize they renamed Front Range! You'll love it there. I would have based there but it was too far from my house.

Unfortunately at Meadow Lake (KFLY) there is also a lengthy list looking for hangars. A BIG problem is that there are MANY hangars full of old cars, storage stuff, etc. Each hangar is privately owned and the owner can do what they want with it.

I learned to fly (Airline pilot now) at FTG......pre tower, pre spaceport, pre rename! It's a great place. Or at least it was when I was there. Just the right mix of GA, airline and military pilots to mix things up and keep life interesting. There was always fun to be had at Front Range!

Agree with this. Great culture there. Lots of folks actually hanging out at the airport anytime the sun is shining, which seems to happen a lot in Denver. It doesn’t seem to matter whether it is a weekend or weekday. If the sun is shining, the place opens up.

The long timers there had originally given me advice to call the tower “Front Range” so that is what I did for quite some time. It was either last week or the week before, however, that they put their foot down and tower as well as overlying approach will now kindly advise you of the official name change. Having said that, they are all correcting themselves on the radio still as well.

I learned to fly (Airline pilot now) at FTG......pre tower, pre spaceport, pre rename! It's a great place. Or at least it was when I was there. Just the right mix of GA, airline and military pilots to mix things up and keep life interesting. There was always fun to be had at Front Range!

Agree with this. Great culture there. Lots of folks actually hanging out at the airport anytime the sun is shining, which seems to happen a lot in Denver. It doesn’t seem to matter whether it is a weekend or weekday. If the sun is shining, the place opens up.

The long timers there had originally given me advice to call the tower “Front Range” so that is what I did for quite some time. It was either last week or the week before, however, that they put their foot down and tower as well as overlying approach will now kindly advise you of the official name change. Having said that, they are all correcting themselves on the radio still as well.

it continues to this day from some of the (us) passive-aggressive types at "Jeff-uh-Metro"...

You learned what I did-wait lists are just that...a list that you’ll sit and wait on. I was on several. Second cold-call and I had an owner of a row of hangers say “if you can meet today, it’s yours”. I’m guessing that he just didn’t want to deal with 25 calls down the list of “you still interested? No? Thanks.” I was there with cash in hand and he walked away with a guaranteed renter.

As of 10 days ago I called “Spaceport” and got told, “ we’re still Front Range for now”.

When someone flies a spacecraft out there, then I’ll call it Spaceport. I’ve been based out there longer than anyone working there, longer than anyone on the Adams County board. Which, dissolved the airport advisory board last year with a flimsy excuse. So tenants have zero input/representation these days. Taxation without representation. Plus it’s impossible to find Adams County board minutes online.

I spent a bit of time looking for space at the "space port" and ran across wonderful folks, sitting by the open hangar doors, having a cookout, etc., chilling. I live at Propwash Airport (16X) south of Denton, TX, and also in the High Rockies, Lake Dillon area. I wanted to find space for my C-182 (Peterson Mod 260SE Kenai type) so I could drive home to the mountains in my Subaru--great plans, haven't materialized. Options to land closer to Summit county suck in winter (Kremmling, Leadville,Vail/Eagle...).Learned to fly at Arapahoe County back when it was just that a small county airport, now can't get the time of day there. I am looking to find a shared space or a hangar I can purchase or lease, keep my car...thinking I could also shuttle to DIA and take the mountain shuttles to my home in Summit--anyone know of any such opportunities please help! flyerp@gmail.com. Thanks!

I spent a bit of time looking for space at the "space port" and ran across wonderful folks, sitting by the open hangar doors, having a cookout, etc., chilling. I live at Propwash Airport (16X) south of Denton, TX, and also in the High Rockies, Lake Dillon area. I wanted to find space for my C-182 (Peterson Mod 260SE Kenai type) so I could drive home to the mountains in my Subaru--great plans, haven't materialized. Options to land closer to Summit county suck in winter (Kremmling, Leadville,Vail/Eagle...).Learned to fly at Arapahoe County back when it was just that a small county airport, now can't get the time of day there. I am looking to find a shared space or a hangar I can purchase or lease, keep my car...thinking I could also shuttle to DIA and take the mountain shuttles to my home in Summit--anyone know of any such opportunities please help! flyerp@gmail.com. Thanks!
Have you considered Longmont or Erie?

Hi Connor, any chance you still have space available in your hangar?

Back