Kansas City Area tomorrow

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Im going to be sitting in Olathe, KS tomorrow from about 8:30 to about 1:30 PM. Anyone in the area?

And a direct routing takes me right through KC Bravo. KC has always been nice to me in the past but Im wondering if that would be asking too much. Seems like DSM-Napoleon VOR-Olathe would be a better bet? I may just file the direct and take the reroute when/if they give it to me.

Well, it ain't Chicago. I don't really see any reason why they won't let you overfly. You may get vectored for inbound MCI traffic, but I don't see a major issue.

Whenever I've gone to IXD or OJC, they've just radar vectored me slightly around International. I'd just file direct and see what you get.

Unfortunately, I will be in meetings most of the morning, or I would stop in and say hey. As for the KC Class B, although I have not flown through it, they let me in twice as a student. They were great and helpful, even let me do a stop and go on 1L. Are you going to OJC or IXD? You probably ought to go to K34, they have gliders!!

Im going to OJC. If I had the whole day I would consider wandering over to Gardner.

OJC is a good airport, either FBO has some great people. There are some good food choices close by as well. Have a good flight.

thanks! I think im going to Air Associates or something like that.

Air Associates is on the East side, that is where I trained. They usually have free popcorn and bottled water behind the counter!

I saw your note on the purple board - I can swing by at lunch time, there are a couple lunch places a few minutes away. Just let me know.

good flight today. Had some weather to deal with on the way down. A fair line of storms was moving between me and Olathe. Between the 396, stormscope, and ATC, I was able to pretty successfully pick my way through. Also managed to stay in the clear below cloudbase almost the entire time. heres the flight track:

attachment.php

As i approached the line I quizzed KC Center about what they were seeing and made sure that it was matching up with what I was seeing in the cockpit. At first I thought about trying to get out in front of the bad stuff by heading towards the Braymer VOR and going around the east side of KC. Center advised about some heavy to severe precip between me and there which I could see on the 396, so I decided to run west towards St Joe and work my way around the back. I didnt really want to go all the way to SE Nebraska to get around it but I figured its better to be behind the weather than ahead of it. I could see that break in the Red on the 396 so I checked with Center to make sure he saw the same thing. The stormscope was showing all of the activity was to my left, where it should be. he verified about a 20 mile gap between heavy precip echoes so I let him know that I was going to continue west and then cut south through that hole.

As i neared the gap on the radar I could see to the south that it wasnt raining and even saw a little sunlight out there. So I turned south and center dropped me down to 7000 which kept me out of IMC. It worked out brilliantly, like I had planned it all along or something. Rest of the flight was generally uneventful, although I did get stuck at 7000 until a mere 20ish miles from Johnson County which made for an energy management challenge on decent. Got it down though.

Flight home was in the clear with minimal turbulence. The guys in the back were thankful. so was I.

Attachments

• flight_track_map.gif
    flight_track_map.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 85
Great write up! I'm glad you got through okay.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

good flight today. Had some weather to deal with on the way down. A fair line of storms was moving between me and Olathe. Between the 396, stormscope, and ATC, I was able to pretty successfully pick my way through. Also managed to stay in the clear below cloudbase almost the entire time. heres the flight track:

attachment.php

As i approached the line I quizzed KC Center about what they were seeing and made sure that it was matching up with what I was seeing in the cockpit. At first I thought about trying to get out in front of the bad stuff by heading towards the Braymer VOR and going around the east side of KC. Center advised about some heavy to severe precip between me and there which I could see on the 396, so I decided to run west towards St Joe and work my way around the back. I didnt really want to go all the way to SE Nebraska to get around it but I figured its better to be behind the weather than ahead of it. I could see that break in the Red on the 396 so I checked with Center to make sure he saw the same thing. The stormscope was showing all of the activity was to my left, where it should be. he verified about a 20 mile gap between heavy precip echoes so I let him know that I was going to continue west and then cut south through that hole.

As i neared the gap on the radar I could see to the south that it wasnt raining and even saw a little sunlight out there. So I turned south and center dropped me down to 7000 which kept me out of IMC. It worked out brilliantly, like I had planned it all along or something. Rest of the flight was generally uneventful, although I did get stuck at 7000 until a mere 20ish miles from Johnson County which made for an energy management challenge on decent. Got it down though.

Flight home was in the clear with minimal turbulence. The guys in the back were thankful. so was I.

Sounds like fun Tony! I think you've been having too much of it lately. ;)

I imagine KCAC on the west side has goodies too.

It's a good FBO. Nice facility, very friendly staff, reasonable (not great, just reasonable) fuel prices, and they did send me a card with a coupon for something like 50 cents/gallon off on my next visit. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Tony, which FBO did you go to? I think if I'd have been stuck there, I would have tried to get a courtesy car and see if I could get a tour of Garmin headquarters which are nearby.

Sounds like fun Tony! I think you've been having too much of it lately. ;)

It's a good FBO. Nice facility, very friendly staff, reasonable (not great, just reasonable) fuel prices, and they did send me a card with a coupon for something like 50 cents/gallon off on my next visit. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Tony, which FBO did you go to? I think if I'd have been stuck there, I would have tried to get a courtesy car and see if I could get a tour of Garmin headquarters which are nearby.

no such thing as too much fun.

I went to Air Associates as thats what the customers told me to do. Their car was waiting for them on the ramp. They have really comfy recliners so I read some Harry Potter and took a short nap. Then Matthew showed up and we visited and then went and had some good BBQ with Kim. Drove past Garmin and then back to the airport where I waited for passengers to show up. Was a good layover.

Back