KADS departure to the south

sucio

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
Hi guys, I'm new on here. Did a little searching but didn't quite find an exact answer to my specific question. I've had my PPL since late 2011....currently working on instrument(struggling with the holding patterns although my instructor thinks I'm doing fine for having only done a few so far) and I have 60 something hours(don't recall exactly off the top of my head).

Anyways, my question is...I plan on making a VFR flight from KADS to KCXO(addison to Conroe). I've only departed KADS to the south once during my private training and don't recall the exact procedure for doing that. Addison is a class D under the class B. I should call clearance(I think it's ground for addison if I recall) and....say what exactly to get the clearance to head south? I believe they will give me a squawk and then when I contact tower do I need to tell them that?

Basically, what's the step by step from requesting clearance prior to taxi/takeoff to once I'm in the air and in contact with departure?

Call for clearance...ADS Gnd, Experimental 123XX at Millionaire, vfr to CXO at 5,500' with xray.

Write down clearance. Probably telling you to fly runway heading, maintain at or below 2000', contact regional app 124.3., sq xxxx. Read back.

Notify Gnd when ready to taxi for instructions. Read back.

After taxi and runup switch to tower. Exp 123XX at rwy 15 and A ready for takeoff.

Either they will tell you to hold short, line up and wait or cleared for takeoff. Fly rwy hdg. Remain at or below 2000'. Contact reg app on 124.3.

Xpdr on and takeoff.

Contact app...124.3 telling them your departing rwy 15, 1,200' climbing to 2,000'. Follow their instructions.

This works for me anyway, but may not be the best way. Take care and have a good trip.

Awesome, much appreciated!

Like RV10 explains, just ask for flight following from ground control, and get your radios ready to switch to Approach when Tower advises you can. Oh, and be ready to tell approach about your desired cruise altitude.

DFW Approach controllers are pretty good about granting Bravo clearance without your asking if they can.

After you're on with Approach, and have traveled a bit south of downtown and the arrival corridors for KDAL and KDFW, they will start giving you increasing "climb and maintain..." clearances, until you are far enough south to be out of everyone's way and you're cleared to your cruise altitude.

A trip like this using FF will be good practice for your IFR! Enjoy it!!

Going to CXO, anticipate in all likelihood that they will turn you east first (somewhere between 040 and 080), then after you've transitioned east for a few miles, then south (a few miles west of Mesquite). If it is a north flow, you'll be taken a little further east to keep you clear of DAL arrivals landing on the 31 parallels.

Also, Clearance is sometimes on Ground, sometimes on Clearance Delivery (119.55); they tell you on the ATIS message on which frequency they expect you to call. More often Ground than not, but be ready for either.

---

If you're departing south and more west (say, Austin, San Antonio, Llano, Fredericksburg, Kerrville, etc.), *and* they think from the sound of you that you're not going to be trouble (and your aircraft can climb quickly enough to comply with their expectations), then they will often give you a Runway Heading, 2000 departure, and as soon as you hand off to Departure on 124.3, you'll be turned right to pass over the top of Love Field at 2500; then, climb 3500, and turn south, over the Cedar Hill antennas (don't freak out at all the radio noise), then on course and climb to cruise.

As Mike says, we have great controllers here, as long as they feel they can rely on you to work well, they'll help you a lot.

Great info guys, thanks. Yeah I had considered just skirting around out towards mesquite, but figured it'd be good practice to request the direct route south, but sounds like they may have me go that way anyways. I remember those antennas from the one trip I went south to Waco!

I should be good radio wise, fortunately I did my private out of addison so I'm used to dealing with all the radio traffic on regional.

Looking to do this trip around Mother's Day, planning on picking up my mom and fly her around a bit and then come back. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Last edited:
Well, I was planning on making this trip tomorrow(although the weather at KCXO isn't looking good), but I just realized I'm due for a BFR! that sucks. So I'm gonna have to knock that out first….fml

Well, I was planning on making this trip tomorrow(although the weather at KCXO isn't looking good), but I just realized I'm due for a BFR! that sucks. So I'm gonna have to knock that out first….fml

Probably too late, but get your CFII to fly it with you IFR and get your BFR at the same time! :D is that too many acronyms?:dunno:

Back