KACT - Texas Aero

aggie06

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aggie
Had my first truly stranded-because-of-weather day yesterday. Low ceilings forced me to land in Waco, and when I finally had ceilings to get back to Dallas, I ran into an unreported thick haze and -5 on the OAT gauge. I ended up turning around and landing back at KACT.

The folks at Texas Aero were great. The FBO is comfortable, even has a pool table in the pilot lounge. The manager told me to wait it out as long as I wanted, but offered to let me use the crew car for the night to get dinner and to a hotel. He even put the Arrow I was flying in the hangar overnight so I wouldn't have to deal with frost in the morning. I recommend Texas Aero if traveling through Waco.

Related - anyone want to be a safety pilot in Dallas for 20 hours or so in the next couple months?

I had the same situation at KBRL (Burlington, IA). They didn't have a pool table, though. I've found most non-chain FBOs to be very accommodating!

Had my first truly stranded-because-of-weather day yesterday. Low ceilings forced me to land in Waco, and when I finally had ceilings to get back to Dallas, I ran into an unreported thick haze and -5 on the OAT gauge. I ended up turning around and landing back at KACT.

The folks at Texas Aero were great. The FBO is comfortable, even has a pool table in the pilot lounge. The manager told me to wait it out as long as I wanted, but offered to let me use the crew car for the night to get dinner and to a hotel. He even put the Arrow I was flying in the hangar overnight so I wouldn't have to deal with frost in the morning. I recommend Texas Aero if traveling through Waco.

Related - anyone want to be a safety pilot in Dallas for 20 hours or so in the next couple months?

Sounds like a great FBO, getting stuck sucks, but it sucks a lot less when you're stuck some where with a good FBO and good folks.

Glad you made the safe decision.

A "10-top tips for IFR Flying" included a recommendation about selecting alternates that are Class Charly airports such as KACT.

• They have just about any approach you need
  • Are near a mid-sized or larger town with nice hotels and eating places
  • Will have top level FBO's that treat you well like the one in the OP
  • Are served by scheduled 121 carriers, allowing you to get home that way if life schedule was pressuring you.

Thanks for the report on Texas Aero. I'll make sure to patronize them if/when I find myself in Waco.

Sent you a PM. I think I have someone that could help you as a safety pilot.

Been there a couple times, and they are indeed top notch. Did they have warm cookies for you?

Back