K&N Air Filters

Fast n' Furious

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iJustLanded
Does anyone have any expereince (good or bad) with using K&N OEM replacement air filters in their airplane, especially a Mooney? My 252 uses a paper filter and it's okay but if the manufacturors claims are legit about power and efficiency increases, I'd like to give it a shot. Thank you.

Fast n' Furious said:
Does anyone have any expereince (good or bad) with using K&N OEM replacement air filters in their airplane, especially a Mooney? My 252 uses a paper filter and it's okay but if the manufacturors claims are legit about power and efficiency increases, I'd like to give it a shot. Thank you.

I just bought one for my 201. It'll get installed next week.

I have one on mine. I am happy with it. spring for the extra bucks.

TRhe K & N air filter helps will increase air flow to a normally aspirated engine. It won't help your 252 becasue the turbo system is controlling the airflow to the engine. It will improve airflow to the turbocharger but that won't help anything. Charlie Melot Zephyr Aircraft Engines

I had one installed in my C150, the only change I noticed was fuel burn went from 6 gph to 5.5 gph.

Ah, thanks to everyone for their replies and especially to Charlie Melot for talking the time to post. I was especially interested to see what you might have to say as your experience with the K&N filters is featured on the Magnalabs website. Maybe I'll go to the K&N when the filter is due replacement but it doesn't sound like I'm going to get any performance increase. Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Here I am, again, at the trailer of the thread; but I asked a similar question(Red Board) a couple years ago re my Skyhawk. Tom Downey posted that I should stay with the "stock" air filter. However, I don't remember the specific advice. Perhaps, N19143 will post here with the logic.

HR

Last edited:
I use a K&N on my 172. I think the K&N filters better (at least I have to clean it more than I did my foam filter). I could not tell a difference in performance.

I know they make a huge difference in automobiles, can't imagine they'd be any less effective in an airplane, but my opinion holds no value since I have absolutely NO experience in that kind of thing.

SkyHog said:
I know they make a huge difference in automobiles, can't imagine they'd be any less effective in an airplane, but my opinion holds no value since I have absolutely NO experience in that kind of thing.

I have one is the Warrior, can't tell that it made any difference, but it at least
looks like a real filter compared to that cheesy foam thing.
Don

From the Beech guys, rumor has it that the K&N does provide some benefits. However, I don't see everyone rushing to replace them. A dyno test would be cool, but thats not that feasible.

Seems like those stock filters are very coarse and no stop a lot of air flow to begin with. What does K&N claim they can do and why?

It would be interesting to note any power changes when runnign the engine without a filter. The air is pretty free of particulates once you leave the ground anyway. Probably would not hurt to try a little test to see if unimpeded airflow changes anything in the performance vs. the stock filter or K&N filter

Last edited:
Aircraft Spruce has the lowest prices on K&N air filters. About 30-40% less than everybody else on the Cessna 172.

Last edited:
Back