JYO new ADIZ procedures

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
Tried my first VFR flight out of Leesburg this morning under the new procedures. Really really wierd not talking to someone. The outbound adventure seemed relatively normal....minus the talking to ATC.....but inbound....

I came up from the south, I know my landmarks well. I entered under the Class B airspace that used to be ADIZ squawking 1200. I was waiting for the intercept.....yikes! As I cruised on in, I spooked myself several times as I looked at the transponder and saw the 1200. Of course I was monitoring 121.5 and possibly heard someone getting in trouble.

When I was ready to turn into the "manuevering" area, changed my squawk, announced on the CTAF, and went on in for an uneventful landing.....just the kind I like!

But it was just all really wierd after 4 plus years of the old ADIZ.

Kaye

I agree! It's easier yet it's easier to bust too. I turn it to 1227 farther out than I need to but not a huge deal I don't think.

Any little bit helps, I'm sure. All those procedures make me nervous, so I just file anytime I head down there.

In case anyone is confused, you can now squawk 1200 a lot closer to JYO than you used to be able to do so legally, but you still have to switch to the special JYO entry code before entering the JYO ADIZ cutout at the DCA 30 DME ring. Read the NOTAM carefully, and if you need help, ask before you enter.

In case anyone is confused, you can now squawk 1200 a lot closer to JYO than you used to be able to do so legally, but you still have to switch to the special JYO entry code before entering the JYO ADIZ cutout at the DCA 30 DME ring. Read the NOTAM carefully, and if you need help, ask before you enter.

Caution to anyone looking for this NOTAM. You will not find it if you look for NOTAMs at JYO or in the state of Virginia. NOTAM 7/0206 is listed under the District of Columbia.

Back