Juvenile Epilepsy In Airline Pilotint

AmericanaCrystal

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Crystal
Hey there! Was curious if I could still become an airline pilot even though I have had a history of epilepsy. I have read the FAA regulations on aviation medicals, however I have seen some loopholes in them. I am currently 16, I have been seizure free on medications for 3 years. My last seizure (Grand Mal) was October 2020. I was diagnosed with juvenile Epilepsy, and I plan on getting off my meds next summer. I know that under certain circumstances that I will be able to fly, but I want to know if I can reach my goal of being an airline pilot with a class 1 medical. I have had an MRI and and EEG. MRI (3-years ago) EEG (1-year ago). Please and thank you for all the help.

Unsolicited advice incoming. Given what I know, how that condition has touched my household, my resultant (some forced) career pivots, and everyone impacted outside of the patient, I don't take pleasure in telling a 16 year old kid (who could be my very own mind you) any of this.

My sincere advice to you would be to not to stake your livelihood in adult life on the premise of keeping a class 1 medical. You're only 3 into a 10 year freeze anyways, and you're not even off meds yet. You're not even eligible for a class I attempt until 2030, so the current airline environment and hiring wave is 100% moot for you.

Epilepsy is still little understood even in 2023 (from a cure pov), and the only consistent remedies so far involve little more than symptom suppression. That threshold is good enough for most pedestrian occupations, but not medical dependent ones like pilot. Some studies clock in the relapse rate (as defined by getting off meds) for epilepsy at more than 70%. That's bad enough odds if it were to betray you while in training, but halfway through an airline career? That's a terrible bet to make with your ability to put food on the table. Hope's not a plan.

Fly recreationally, thrive vocationally by keeping your ability to feed yourself better insulated. That means occupations that will not take exception to living your best life under the insurance of right-sized dosage medication as needed. I wish you much luck and health to going forward in this life, sincerely.

Unsolicited advice incoming. Given what I know, how that condition has touched my household, my resultant (some forced) career pivots, and everyone impacted outside of the patient, I don't take pleasure in telling a 16 year old kid (who could be my very own mind you) any of this.

My sincere advice to you would be to not to stake your livelihood in adult life on the premise of keeping a class 1 medical. You're only 3 into a 10 year freeze anyways, and you're not even off meds yet. You're not even eligible for a class I attempt until 2030, so the current airline environment and hiring wave is 100% moot for you.

Epilepsy is still little understood even in 2023 (from a cure pov), and the only consistent remedies so far involve little more than symptom suppression. That threshold is good enough for most pedestrian occupations, but not medical dependent ones like pilot. Some studies clock in the relapse rate (as defined by getting off meds) for epilepsy at more than 70%. That's bad enough odds if it were to betray you while in training, but halfway through an airline career? That's a terrible bet to make with your ability to put food on the table. Hope's not a plan.

Fly recreationally, thrive vocationally by keeping your ability to feed yourself better insulated. That means occupations that will not take exception to living your best life under the insurance of right-sized dosage medication as needed. I wish you much luck and health to going forward in this life, sincerely.
Thank you for the advice! I have looked into the odds and I know they aren't good, however I still can't give up. Ignorant as it sounds, I still have a small chance of becoming a pilot. Any chance for me is better than no chance at all, and I will work hard and do what I can to make this dream a reality. My epilepsy is genetic, which I don't know if that makes a difference. My aunt had it and she grew out of it. (she is now in her 50's) so I believe that I will too. And as for being able to support myself, due to these circumstances I plan on making piloting my plan B. I will most likely go to college and major in something of my interest and minor in aerospace. By the time I get out of college, I will be at the 10 year mark with hopefully a few years without medication. I know that becoming a pilot is expensive on top of college, but I still think that I can do this. Again, thank you for the advice, I will think more realistically about this in the future. After all, I am only 16.

The std is
10 yrs no seizures, and the last three have to be off all meds.

You need reliable testimony to cover nighttime (when one might not be aware of a seizure) , current neurologist report, new EEG, new Brain MRI.

Thanks! How would I have a reliable testimony? My parents are with me and I have a camera installed in my room, is that good enough?

A letter from your parents, provided they demonstrate that they know how they'd recognize one, and the PCP records usually suffices.

Hello! I was curious if anybody knew what GOOD documentation of seizures would be. My last seizure was 3 years ago and it was a grand mal. I am aiming to get a class 1 medical so I would like to be prepared. I have a video camera in my room that records while I sleep, and both of my parents can confirm that my last seizure was 3 years ago. I am still taking medication (Will get off next summer) and I have had an EEG and MRI done (non sleep deprived). I am also about to see a neurologist which should help me. Any advice?

Thank you for the advice! I have looked into the odds and I know they aren't good, however I still can't give up. Ignorant as it sounds, I still have a small chance of becoming a pilot. Any chance for me is better than no chance at all, and I will work hard and do what I can to make this dream a reality. My epilepsy is genetic, which I don't know if that makes a difference. My aunt had it and she grew out of it. (she is now in her 50's) so I believe that I will too. And as for being able to support myself, due to these circumstances I plan on making piloting my plan B. I will most likely go to college and major in something of my interest and minor in aerospace. By the time I get out of college, I will be at the 10 year mark with hopefully a few years without medication. I know that becoming a pilot is expensive on top of college, but I still think that I can do this. Again, thank you for the advice, I will think more realistically about this in the future. After all, I am only 16.
It sounds like you've got a solid plan. In the meantime, you could explore flying options that don't require a medical, but keep in mind that even those are off limits as PIC if you're on disqualifying medication or have a condition that makes it unsafe for you to operate an aircraft.

Back