Just what I needed...

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
I got a freakin Navion at an auction the week before Christmas.
Never wanted one. Never flew one. Never even read about 'em much.
But I have a soft spot for old airplanes that just need TLC but are in danger of being hauled off to the scrap yard...and such was the case with my newest bird. Last annual/flight was in 2012. 80 hours SMOH on e225 and hartzell prop (non-AD model). All AD's up to date. Lots of desirable mods done to the airplane by a prior ap/ia owner!
I aired the tires up, drained the carb bowl and gascolator, changed the oil and filter cleaned bird nests and washed the engine and airplane. Added fuel, put in a battery and ran the boost pump while checking for leaks. As no leaks were seen I climbed aboard (and I do mean ClIMBED), walked forward to the pilot seat, sat down and proceeded to start the engine. 4 blades and couple of pops and she started up and settled into a smooth idle. I've since gotten the generator on line, avionics all working (ifr) and started going thru all the logs and paperwork...
I'll be going thru all the systems one by one inspected and replacing as needed but as a project I'm pleased with what I'm starting with.
My wife thinks I'm nuts for buying another project (I haven't finished my Champ yet...) but understands saving old planes is something I like doing.
Wish me luck...
Chris

<Snip>

My wife thinks I'm nuts for buying another project (I haven't finished my Champ yet...) but understands saving old planes is something I like doing.
Wish me luck...
Chris

It's a sickness. You married well to find someone who doesn't try to cure you.

I'm in sort of the same position with 3 Aeronca projects, a flying RV-6, and a soon-to-be-complete RV-10. My wife shakes her head and rationalizes that the projects keep me out of the local bars.

Is this the one that was on Barnstormers? I called about it and she said it was going to be auctioned. I told her to air up the tires and wash the damn thing and it may sell for more. I don't understand people.... I guess most are much lazier than I am.

Congrats!!

Don’t be a hoarder like @kyleb

Naw, man, it isn't hoarding unless you just store the stuff never to be seen again. I've actually built a new set of wings for the Champ, so it isn't like the Aeronca projects are abandoned.

Or, it could be hoarding.

I dunno.

Sez the guy who just spent 3.5 hours sanding RV-10 door openings...

Congrats and good luck,pictures would be nice.

image.jpeg Congratulations! The L-17 version is one of my favorite warbirds.

I thought a Navion was mounted from the step that hangs down forward of the wing? Next door neighbor had one where I grew up. Anyway, nice project!

If it wasn't flying, how did you move it? Most auctions want the stuff moved pronto. Or did they allow you some grace time to get it flying?

Never wanted one. Never flew one. Never even read about 'em much.
But I have a soft spot for old airplanes that just need TLC but are in danger of being hauled off to the scrap yard...and such was the case with my newest bird. Last annual/flight was in 2012. 80 hours SMOH on e225 and hartzell prop (non-AD model). All AD's up to date. Lots of desirable mods done to the airplane by a prior ap/ia owner!
I aired the tires up, drained the carb bowl and gascolator, changed the oil and filter cleaned bird nests and washed the engine and airplane. Added fuel, put in a battery and ran the boost pump while checking for leaks. As no leaks were seen I climbed aboard (and I do mean ClIMBED), walked forward to the pilot seat, sat down and proceeded to start the engine. 4 blades and couple of pops and she started up and settled into a smooth idle. I've since gotten the generator on line, avionics all working (ifr) and started going thru all the logs and paperwork...
I'll be going thru all the systems one by one inspected and replacing as needed but as a project I'm pleased with what I'm starting with.
Wish me luck...
Chris

Good score

navion 2.jpg Navion1.jpg Navion panel.jpg
Here are the requested pics...
Kyleb: I did marry well. She didn't...
455BU: It wouldn't be the first time I've been called a Whored...
Zeldman: Yes I cleaned and replaced the nests; I never turn down free lift...
GRG55: It was based at my home dome (DTN). No one else here wanted it and it wasn't flyable so the option of scrapping it was attractive to some.
I'm Epoxy Priming the Champ fuselage next week and will most likely work on the Navion while it's too cold to cover/paint. This is my plan.

Custer had a plan...

Chris

Well the Navion is flying again! I went a bit deeper into it than i intended but it was quite a bit of fun working on something that simple and easy to wrench on...
I still need to paint the top of the right wing and both flaps as well as the vertical fin and rudder. I also need to redo the interior (unless it gets sold first).
It's a riot to fly, big and stable. Around 135 -140 mph is all she ll do but climb is 8-900 fpm and the landings are ridiculously fun and easy. With all that plexi surrounding you it's like flying inside a goldfish bowl...
All in all it's been a fun learning experience.

Chris

View attachment 70353 View attachment 70354 View attachment 70355
Here are the requested pics...
Kyleb: I did marry well. She didn't...
455BU: It wouldn't be the first time I've been called a Whored...
Zeldman: Yes I cleaned and replaced the nests; I never turn down free lift...
GRG55: It was based at my home dome (DTN). No one else here wanted it and it wasn't flyable so the option of scrapping it was attractive to some.
I'm Epoxy Priming the Champ fuselage next week and will most likely work on the Navion while it's too cold to cover/paint. This is my plan.

Custer had a plan...

Chris

By God, that's a real aircraft panel. Round dials everywhere. I like it!

Back