Just took first flight lesson...is it normal to feel overhwhelmed?

Yes, I’m beginning to see that now as things are starting to become second nature. I’m just over 60 hours of training, and just did my first cross country solo a couple months ago. Seems like I’m just now starting to relax into it a bit. Parts of it are certainly becoming automatic. Get me in the pattern, and I’m good to go. Got all the speeds and altitudes dialed in, and talking with the tower doesn’t scare me like it used to. Some may be thinking “oh my god, 60 hours, and you still haven’t completed the check ride and got your license?” Well, I’ve taken a couple breaks of 2 months long along the way, and I just feel I need time to ease into it all. If I had stayed with my original instructor, I may very well have “graduated” by now. But, oh well, it is what it is.

Enjoy the thrill of learning! Learning is the most exciting part of flying... so wben you are feeling overwhelmed think about the satisfaction you will have once youve pegged it!

Dont give up, i didnt have anyone telling me this was normal and as i approached hour 20 and didnt feel close to solo i wondered if i just wasnt cut out to be a pilot. Bigger the challenge bigger the reward.

No. Anyone who can't fly naturally with The Force should quit.

Last edited:
....Some may be thinking “oh my god, 60 hours, and you still haven’t completed the check ride and got your license?” Well, I’ve taken a couple breaks of 2 months long along the way, and I just feel I need time to ease into it all. If I had stayed with my original instructor, I may very well have “graduated” by now. But, oh well, it is what it is.

Only dbags are thinking that. It takes you what it takes you and that’s that, don’t feel any pressure to meet someone else’s hourly number. Just keep working at it, sounds like you’re getting there (I didn’t read the entire thread) and when you’re done it’ll be friggin awesome!

Back