Just to verify....

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I can take my commerical in 2 planes. Mine - in which I can show everything except the ability to show I know how to push the blue knob thingy back and forth, say "three in the green" and demonstrate an emergency gear extension - for which we can hop out, and do one circiut in the pattern for that in the rental?

N2212R said:
I can take my commerical in 2 planes. Mine - in which I can show everything except the ability to show I know how to push the blue knob thingy back and forth, say "three in the green" and demonstrate an emergency gear extension - for which we can hop out, and do one circiut in the pattern for that in the rental?

That is true, but it isn't necessarily that easy.

I guarantee the examiner will ask for a bit more than that.

FWIW, if you are going to do it in an Arrow, you might as well do it all in the arrow because it isn't that much different than your airplane. Besides, you will have to do 10 hours in it anyway unless you already have the complex time.

What Greg wrote without explicitly writing it is that the examiner has the right to ask for any (or all) maneuvers in the complex aircraft (Arrow). IOW, if you bring to aircraft you need to master every commercial maneuver in both aircraft, which can significantly add to your training costs. For that reason many people simply learn the maneuvers in the complex aircraft and bring one aircraft to the test.

N2212R said:
I can take my commerical in 2 planes.
I did that but in hindsight I think it was a bit of a PIA. You have to know about two different airplanes, preflight two different airplanes, taxi out and do the runup twice, etc. I only did it that way because the school recommended it. They claimed it was less expensive that way, and I accepted that without knowing any better at the time. I don't even quite remember which two airplanes I used. I think it was a Warrior and a C-182RG.

I think I was only asked to go around the pattern once in the Cessna and I don't remember being asked to do any maneuvers in it, but I see what Ed is saying.

Last edited:
I did the "take your COM in two planes" way. It wasn't that bad at all. I actaully flew to another airport to pick up the Arrow and flew it once around the pattern. This was through prior approval from a very easy going check airman.

I did the CFI ride "one airplane". Logistically speaking, one airplane is easier. Mine was a nightmare because I had time in an Arrow and not THE Arrow that I was going to use for the checkride. Couple that with being really nervous and you're in for a failed checkride. I only passed because I didn't break any regs, even though I flew like I was brain dead....

--Matt

I did the two plane comm...177B and 210M. The Cardinal was mine and the Centurion was my hangar partner's, who needed a younger comm pilot on his insurance to fly with him after he hit a certain age. The only thing I had to demonstrate in the Centurion was the emergency gear procedure as the Cardinal had a C/S prop and flaps. I had about 50 hrs in the 210 when I took the comm, which helped, too.

I just finished up the required time in the Sierra - which I HATE, HATE, HATE flying. Maybe it is this particular Beech, but it won't trim out, it won't hold airspeed or vertical speed in a climb or descent, and I just honestly do not like the feel of it. It is very heavy on the controls, and since it is such a PITA to trim out, once I get it set I am not touching it again. Which makes steep turns a pain. I can do em, but no need to go to the gym afterward. Anyhow, I've already got the 10 complex time, but still need to do maneuvers (clean up the 8's, and we haven't done pylons yet), and since my plane is a lot cheaper than a rental I am just going to get all the maneuvers down in my plane. The DE is pretty laid back around here, so I am sure I'm not going to do the ride "twice" on the same day.

Recommend contacting the DPE with whom you'll take the ride before doing this, and find out just how s/he likes to do the 2-plane Commercial trick, then decide which way you want to jump.

If you had bought that mooney last year ed, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Michael said:
If you had bought that mooney last year ed, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

OK, you just joined Dr Bruce on my "hit list" !!!!!!!!

I did the 2 plane com as well. Did all the required landings in the rental Arrow (except the 180 power loss). They also go through your knowledge of how the retract works on that plane and the emergency procedures.

I did the one plane comm all in a 172RG. When my isntructor told the DE that we were going to do it that way he looked at me and said "I should just pass you for that, I hate switching planes just to save a couple of bucks, wastes time and shows me that maybe you are not that comfortable in a complex aircraft".

Something to think about.

smigaldi said:
I did the one plane comm all in a 172RG. When my isntructor told the DE that we were going to do it that way he looked at me and said "I should just pass you for that, I hate switching planes just to save a couple of bucks, wastes time and shows me that maybe you are not that comfortable in a complex aircraft".

Something to think about.

Then I'd tell the DPE he can pick up the difference between using my plane for the training, and the complex plane, since it's "only a couple bucks." A couple a bucks a minute.

N2212R said:
Then I'd tell the DPE he can pick up the difference between using my plane for the training, and the complex plane, since it's "only a couple bucks." A couple a bucks a minute.

I don't know what your rates are but where I did my commercial the 172Rg rented for $99/hr and the 172Q rented for $89/hour with a check ride lasting about 2 hours that was only a $20 difference and with the change of planes it increased the ride time such that the DPE had to block out a lot of his time and do one less check ride a day which was about $350 less for him.

Fuel/oil for my plane $35/hr. Rental plane $110/hr (and they are raising the rates as of May 1). I still have training to do for manuevers, that cost difference will add up in a hurry. I can't imagine needing more than .3 in the complex for the ride.

N2212R said:
Fuel/oil for my plane $35/hr. Rental plane $110/hr (and they are raising the rates as of May 1). I still have training to do for manuevers, that cost difference will add up in a hurry. I can't imagine needing more than .3 in the complex for the ride.

That is exactly what complex time I logged during the comm in the complex.
1 turn in the pattern, emergency gear extension, simulated electrical failure, no flap landing.
Don

2 planes (C-150 and C-177RG) was way cheaper for me.
The Cardinal-half of the ride was more like a quick Cardinal checkout. Stalls, steep turns, and landings.

--Kath

smigaldi said:
I don't know what your rates are but where I did my commercial the 172Rg rented for $99/hr and the 172Q rented for $89/hour with a check ride lasting about 2 hours that was only a $20 difference and with the change of planes it increased the ride time such that the DPE had to block out a lot of his time and do one less check ride a day which was about $350 less for him.

Especially since I was out there to fly complex planes in the first place, I didn't think it was worth all the extra time for an additional plane either, so Cutlass and 182RGs all the way and if I were a DPE I'd sure charge for the extra time too.

Back