Just Thinking..

The Old Man

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
The Old Man
For years, I have been aware on some level that there is a distinct difference between pain and discomfort. Being in pain is uncomfortable, but being uncomfortable (physically) is not necessarily painful. In the past few months, I have had ample time to examine this hypothosis and make judgements on its validity.

I use this method: The terms are analogue, not binary. There are a nearly infinite number of points between comfort and excruciating agony. At any time we all are somewhere on that continuum. Where discomfort becomes pain is a wide grey area defined by each individual's threshold of pain.

Also, the threshold is not a fixed point. For eaach of us, it moves some based on level and duration of discomfort. Long exposure to higher discomfort becomes pain more quickly in those circumstances.

But health care professionals have gotten used to the idea that most patients do not understand the difference. Their objective is pain management, and the patient thinks that discomfort should be alleviated by some pill. I now bristle when I am uncomfortable and the nurse/doc/etc. asks, "on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is the pain?". I have been laying in this hospital bed for 2 weeks and it is uncomfortable. But that is what I expect under those conditions. I don't need an Hydrocodone just because the muscles in my lower back are complaining a bit. I may need and Advil at bedtime to ease that so I sleep better, but no stout stuff.

I consider this phenomenon to be part of the overall simplification of our language. To the detriment of clear communication. Yesterday, The PA at the Oncologist took my BP 117/60. Perfect, she said. 2 hours later, the PA at the Radiation place took it for their record, 122/65. Perfect, she said. What? Which one is "perfect? Is there any such thing as "Perfect BP? I know there are ranges of blood pressure and both of those readings are well within the desired range. But "perfect"? Would she put that on the chart? Would she use that word for the doctor?

We have and use language for the precision that it gives in expression. Having 27 words for snow is probably overkill, but describing those readings as good or even excellent is much more meaningful to me.

Some things should be scaled, and others go/no-go. If I were to scale my comprehension of your point, it would be approximately 45%. Correspondingly, it would otherwise be "no."

As for your blood pressure there is no significanct difference between the two readings so both are perfectly adequate blood pressures. Perfect blood pressure does not exist. Blood pressure is sort of the same. There is a range of blood pressure that is considered good. However, the number is not a static number and may change from minute to minute and this is normal. Lots of things affect blood pressure; some will make it high, some will make it lower. Sometimes certain conditions may require physicians to artificially increase your blood pressure to higher than normal values, and sometimes to lower than normal values.

As for pain versus discomfort, that is a very subjective thing. Everyone experiences pain or discomfort differently and what may be a mild discomfort to you may be excruciating painful to someone else. Your PA has no objective way to tell how much pain or discomfort you are in and the only way they can tell is for you to tell them. Communication is a two way street, and as fustrating it is for you when your health professionals do not communicate, it is as fustrating for them when you do not either.

Best wishes of health.

Doug

I can explain the difference between pain and discomfort quite easily.

When my back aches a bit , that is discomfort.

When my wife's back aches a bit , she becomes a real pain for me.

Boy I am glad she does not have much discomfort.

And that she hates computers and will not see this :D

Pain makes me say, "ouch" (or something stronger, depending upon severity).

Extended discomfort dulls my thinking, and I do not care for it one little bit.

Get well, Bo. I like what you write.

Medicine and engineering are very different disciples with very different degrees of exactitude. That, and most of the communication the OP receives is intended to make him feel better.

Back