Just started...

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
I just started the Sport's Instrument Rating Course yesterday and am just getting into the approach/approach plates segment. Is it as complicated as they are making it out to be? Good lord. I remember times during my private training when I was overwhelmed, but I haven't even taken my first IR training flight yet and i'm already pulling my hair out. I'm sure it will make more sense as I go along, but so many questions pop into my head that its driving me insane.

Now, my first of many questions...During training, will the instructor let me use the gps as a primary means of navigation while enroute? I realize I won't be able to just load an ILS approach in the gps and follow the line but during cruise, will I be expected to continually plug in VOR's and intersections into the NAV 1 and NAV 2 instrument's?

I just started the Sport's Instrument Rating Course yesterday and am just getting into the approach/approach plates segment. Is it as complicated as they are making it out to be? Good lord. I remember times during my private training when I was overwhelmed, but I haven't even taken my first IR training flight yet and i'm already pulling my hair out. I'm sure it will make more sense as I go along, but so many questions pop into my head that its driving me insane.

Now, my first of many questions...During training, will the instructor let me use the gps as a primary means of navigation while enroute? I realize I won't be able to just load an ILS approach in the gps and follow the line but during cruise, will I be expected to continually plug in VOR's and intersections into the NAV 1 and NAV 2 instrument's?

I'm sure the CFII types will be along with more comprehensive answers for you. Yes it is confusing right now, but will make sense over time. If not then Sportys isn't doing its job ;)

If you have an IFR certified GPS then I suspect your instructor is going to teach you how to use it for approaches. As far as navigation I don't see why not. He/she should work on all types of approaches you have the equipment on board for.

Have fun and enjoy the training, I did.

P.S. Wouldn't hurt to go out in the meantime and work at holding altitude and heading. ;)

As a IFR student I can tell you I was overwhelmed in the early stages, after flying it came a bit easier. My CFII had me using only my VORs in my plane as I don't have a certified GPS. I have flown a few flights in a borrowed plane with a 530w and loved it. I do feel with most of my training I am very comfortable with just using my VORs and DME.

Last edited:
I am about 1/2 way thru my training, and we are doing all the enroute nav with the GPS. My version of your question is "will the DPE allow me to do all the enroute navigation via GPS." If not, I'm going to need to practice that.

The best advice I've gotten, and I don't remember if I read it here or heard it on a podcast, is to always ask yourself 2 questions: what do I need to do next, and when do I need to do it? Since I've started doing that I finally feel like I am getting ahead of the plane, and my instructor is much quieter, which I've heard is a good sign.

My version of your question is "will the DPE allow me to do all the enroute navigation via GPS." If not, I'm going to need to practice that.

In my case the answer was yes, but there wasn't really any enroute part so to speak. We had to file to start my check ride and as soon as were handed off to approach we were being vectored for the first approach.

I have found it very helpful to get the plane slowed down and stabilized as early as possible.

In my case the answer was yes, but there wasn't really any enroute part so to speak. We had to file to start my check ride and as soon as were handed off to approach we were being vectored for the first approach.

I have found it very helpful to get the plane slowed down and stabilized as early as possible.

And in my case the answer was "heck no". My DPE was old school and wanted to see me navigate by VOR's, even having me identify the KTPL MOODY IF on the ILS 15 by cross referencing the 2nd VOR. He said if I had a ADF then we would be doing some of that as well. As he got settled in the plane he reached over to the GPS and turned it off with the comment "we won't be needing that 'till later". We did on VOR, one ILS and one GPS approach during the checkride....

You were probably overwhelmed on your first couple of training for your private pilot. IFR procedures will become just as easy with practice. Watch the videos again after 20 hours or so and they won't seem quite so complex.

Back