Just park it in the shade!

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
And you thought the arrival canopy at Austin Executive (KEDC) was big!

(copied from here: http://www.ultimatekaty.com/stories...rt-adds-aviation-s-largest-fbo-arrival-canopy)

Houston Executive Airport (KTME) adds aviation's largest FBO arrival canopy

Ron Henriksen, a Houston aviation enthusiast and businessman, has announced the construction of the world's largest fixed-based operator arrival canopy.

The 32,800-square-foot canopy is part of the current construction at Henriksen Jet Center at Houston Executive Airport, according to a press release issued Tuesday, Dec. 18.

The 22,500-square-foot FBO terminal building and canopy are scheduled for completion in February 2013 when the whole facility will be open for public and business use. Weir Enterprises is constructing the canopy.

"Texas continues to be a leader in the nation for aviation expansion and opportunities," said Henriksen in the release. "We've seen robust growth in both Houston and Austin, and it's exciting to be involved in an industry that provides jobs, creates and retains new businesses, and has such a positive impact on the community."

The new terminal building is expected to draw new business for the Houston economy and increase traffic at the airport, according to Andrew Perry, executive director for Houston Executive Airport and Austin Executive Airport.

"Investing in the world's largest arrival canopy provides another level of comfort for our customers, regardless of the weather," said Perry in the release. "It's among key amenities that set Houston Executive apart from other airports. With the dedication and vision of Ron Henriksen, we're at the forefront of making Houston a leader in general aviation facilities nationwide."

Houston Executive Airport is located at 1900 Cardiff Road, Brookshire.

For more information, call 281-247-7678 or visit www.houstonexecutiveairport.com.​

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 127
It looks fairly impressive from the air. I fly out of IWS West Houston.

When are flying this way again?:thumbsup:

When am I? Possibly end of January

I happened to be in the vacinity Thursday evening so I took a side road and went out to this facility. Wow, it's impressive. the way it is siutated it will be blocked from wind on the west (260 to about 330) mostly. They are insulating it now.
The terminal area is going to be very nice.
i am not an engineer but I think the way the canopy is situated, the wind will have to be hurricane or tornado strength to do possible damage.

Hey Aggie:
PM when you are coming down, I would like to meet up with you.

There are STOL planes that could land and then take off while still under that canopy, aren't there? Just think of the possibilities for indoor flying!

Last edited:
There are STOL planes that could land and then take off while still under that canopy, aren't there? Just think of the possibilities for indoor flying!

Don't bait me into trying it...:no::goofy:;)

Just wow.

This HenriksEn guy is a real hoss- has built two new GA airports in Texas in five years, and the service they give is truly world-class.

Summertime, called them headed back to the field at Austin, they pulled my plane into the shade, put a ground cooling cart to work to chill the cabin, and brought out ice for the icebox AC.

And cookies. And fresh fruit. And a theatre room (!) for pilots. And really pretty counter girls.

And really pretty counter girls.

Now the real reason surfaces about why you're doing more work in the Austin area...

After Mr. Henrickson completes KTME, I wonder where his next project might be?

This HenriksEn guy is a real hoss- has built two new GA airports in Texas in five years, and the service they give is truly world-class.

...... And really pretty counter girls.

Fuel sales will go through the roof...:yes::D:wink2:

Haven't met the guy, but he reminds me of the old-time cattle/oil barons of yesteryear. There's a Concorde engine in the lobby of the Austin Executive FBO, with a laminated booklet hanging on a lanyard. Open it up, and it's a chapter from (I think) his autobiography.

Gist of the section is, "I heard some Concorde engines were coming up for auction. I thought about it for a minute and realized there was no reason I shouldn't have one, so I bid to make sure I got one, and here it is. One heck of an expensive centerpiece, and why is it here? Because I have more money than God and wanted it there."

Not sure I'd like him in person, but I sure like his nice airports.

Everything is bigger in Texas.

We used the conference room just off the lobby for an acquisition planning meeting last summer. The facilities were first class, the staff was very accommodating.

Summertime, called them headed back to the field at Austin, they pulled my plane into the shade, put a ground cooling cart to work to chill the cabin, and brought out ice for the icebox AC.

And cookies. And fresh fruit. And a theatre room (!) for pilots. And really pretty counter girls.

Back