Just my luck - no flight today

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I haven't flown in 6 weeks. My daughter is home from college, and so I wanted to take her up flying. The rentals were busy all day, and I couldn't get it until 3:30pm.

After preflighting the airplane, and getting buckled in, I thought I would check the tach, as I noticed it was up for its 100 hour inspection next week. Sure enough, the tach was 1.7 hours past the 100 hour mark. :mad: Must have happened on the flight before mine.

No need to violate an FAR, so ... no flight today. :(

Man, I'd love to have my own plane.

Bummer. It was beautiful day to fly to.Very smooth, good vis. I was only up for 1.1 hours today to head to JVL and back but it was nice. Better luck next time.

Yes, bummer! It was nice out.

Too bad you weren't closer to the Fox Cities area because for some reason when I flew at around 4 p.m. it was dead quiet everywhere... I think I woke up the OSH controller when I came in... seems you could have rented just about any plane up here! We had a really nice sunny morning and I think everyone must have done their flying earlier in the day.

I hear ya on the no flying in 6 weeks thing. I feel the same even though I have flown.

Based on the regs, no.
§ 91.409 Inspections.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire, and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can be done. The excess time used to reach a place where the inspection can be done must be included in computing the next 100 hours of time in service.

was he carrying someone for compensation or hire or was he giving flight instruction?
He was taking his daughter up for a fun ride, so no. Hence my answer, he would not have been busting the regs.

Now, if the insurance on the airplane is only valid if it has had an inspection in the last 100 hours, there may be some potential coverage issues, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

oh der grant, i can't read (so much for English Proficient:))

and Stan-

Im not trying to say what you did was wrong. In fact there are a lot of good reasons not to fly a rental unless its within 100 Hr. For one thing they just get the crap beat out of them by students and having an inspection is a good thing. But there are a lot of people who assume that just because its a rental it has to have 100 Hrs and thats not the case. I realized after I posted that my reply may come off in the wrong tone, so I hope it doesn't.

and Stan-

Im not trying to say what you did was wrong. In fact there are a lot of good reasons not to fly a rental unless its within 100 Hr. For one thing they just get the crap beat out of them by students and having an inspection is a good thing. But there are a lot of people who assume that just because its a rental it has to have 100 Hrs and thats not the case. I realized after I posted that my reply may come off in the wrong tone, so I hope it doesn't.

No problem at all, Tony, though I'm a little red-faced for misreading the Reg. :redface:

In fact when I went home I pulled the FAR just to confirm to my daughter that we did the right thing, but I couldn't find what I thought I would find.

But it does seem illogical that I as a renter could knowingly fly a plane in excess of its 100 hour requirement, especially given the focus of the last two sentences of the regulation. Could there be a violation by the owner (i.e. flight school) for renting it out above the 100 hour limit?

Anyway, Tony and Grant, thanks for the clarification!

No problem at all, Tony, though I'm a little red-faced for misreading the Reg. :redface:

In fact when I went home I pulled the FAR just to confirm to my daughter that we did the right thing, but I couldn't find what I thought I would find.

But it does seem illogical that I as a renter could knowingly fly a plane in excess of its 100 hour requirement, especially given the focus of the last two sentences of the regulation. Could there be a violation by the owner (i.e. flight school) for renting it out above the 100 hour limit?

Anyway, Tony and Grant, thanks for the clarification!
Hey, before I looked it up, I'd have said "yes" and Tony's ding would have been correct!:yes: I misremembered it too!

i think the last two sentences would only apply if the the time after 100 hrs was taking place during flight with passengers for hire or flight instruction.

i think the last two sentences would only apply if the the time after 100 hrs was taking place during flight with passengers for hire or flight instruction.

§ 91.409 Inspections.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire, and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can be done. The excess time used to reach a place where the inspection can be done must be included in computing the next 100 hours of time in service.
Emphasis added. Would this mean the 100 hour only applies for flight instruction in an aircraft provided by the instructor or does the emphasized text just imply an aircraft provided by an FBO or flight school (where the instructor is employed)?

We have a progressive maintenance program at Panorama, so all of the aircraft get pulled in for one of the first four ops. inspections every 50 hours or so.

Jason - My understanding is that it means any time the aircraft is provided by someone other than the student.

Jason, go read section § 91.409(c). I think it deals with progressive inspections.

Jason, go read section § 91.409(c). I think it deals with progressive inspections.

The intent of my last sentence was to point out that I'm more familiar with the progressive maintenance program than the normal program/inspections used by most flight schools, but I appreciate the reference in any event. :) It has its benefits and drawbacks for sure. Surprisingly, the DPE never asked me any questions about required inspections on my private oral except for the ELT battery.

Jason - My understanding is that it means any time the aircraft is provided by someone other than the student.

I remember someone on this board, perhaps Ron Levy, once offered clarification on the issue of "flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides" but can't seem to find it at the moment. I seem to remember the FAA interpretation being different than I had originally thought, but that could be incorrect.

Here's my questions: Why the heck did the FBO let you get in the plane in the first place? They should have known!!

Here's my questions: Why the heck did the FBO let you get in the plane in the first place? They should have known!!

Good question. I can only guess that since my reservation was immediately after another one, they may not have had time to input the ticket from the previous flight.

The flight school was kind enough to call me this morning, explain that I misread the FAR, but nevertheless gave me a 10% discount on my next flight and apologized for my (apparently self-imposed:redface:) inconvenience.

Very nice people at Lake Country Aviation. :yes:

The flight school was kind enough to call me this morning, explain that I misread the FAR, but nevertheless gave me a 10% discount on my next flight and apologized for my (apparently self-imposed:redface:) inconvenience.

Very nice people at Lake Country Aviation. :yes:
So make it a long flight! :yes:

and Stan-

Ya trainers/rentals can be on the hurting side of things after 100hours

??? Nothing regulatory about oil changes at 100 hours.

-Skip

No, but most places want it changed every 50. Some may not care as much. Our 182 has an AD due every 100 hours and another due every oil change, so we're pretty much stuck when we get there. Of course, we also do a modified 100-hour even though we don't have to - Gotta keep a close eye on these old birds when you're flying them 250+ hours/year! :yes:

Back