Just issued. Here is the timeline

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
Here is my timeline from first AME contact until being issued on on 10/25/22. My case moved at lightening speed after they received my last packet of information. Hope this helps someone.

Condition triggering deferral was closed head injury in 2012
Pre exam meeting with AME 8/9/21
gathered all medical files about 1300 pages. Actual AME exam completed 11/21/21

Letter requesting more information about head injury, sleep apnea received 11/19/21 requested files sent 11/30/21

3/17/22 letter received requesting pulmonologist exam for smoke inhalation in 2014. Results from exam sent 4/14/22

7/7/22 letter received requesting full Neuro cognitive exam, brain MRI with contrast, full neurological evaluation. Neurocognitive exam faxed to OKC by Dr 9/22/22 Results of neurological evaluation and MRI received in OKC 10/6/22 scanned in the next day

class 3 issued 10/24/22 18 days after last file was received
I did a lot of driving to find quick Dr appointments. Neuro cog exam was $3800. AME exams were $125 each.
If your case is complicated spend the money on a pre exam mtg.

You would have shortened it significantly if you had your cog testing, MRI and neurological exam complete when you first applied. These are always asked for in TBI cases.

Congrats on getting it. That’s awesome!

Last edited:
There are two schools of thought on that. Both schools are represented on this forum by a couple of famous doctors. One thought is just what you said, the other is wait and see what they want. Looking back I wish I had done it all ahead of time but I’m done now and happy with the outcome.

Congratulations!!!!

I know the feeling well. Glad to see some cases do move faster. I still have to pinch myself every time I go up flying now.

It does look like things may be speeding up a little. And we all know it’s about time. But I am glad it’s over. My AME told me from day one I would be issued but there was no way to put a clock on it. It’s been a slow clock!

I feel like your swift and adept navigation of the hoops and obstacles placed before you could have replaced the cogscreen in toto. :D

Enjoy Basic Med.

I agree. Lots of thought and planning went into satisfying the old FAA. Even one cross country, of course it was in my duramax diesel but it was over 60 miles away!!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back