Just how expensive is flying?

Goes to show that flying is a force to be reckoned with in relationships, and cannot be trivialized. :yesnod:
You've got me wondering if you won't be taking an intro flight lesson one of these days. You're obviously capable of taking on a challenge.

You've got me wondering if you won't be taking an intro flight lesson one of these days. You're obviously capable of taking on a challenge.

Come on.... get real..... She's a GIRL.... and everybody knows.. Girls can't fly..:no::)

Come on.... get real..... She's a GIRL.... and everybody knows.. Girls can't fly..:no::)

:lol::rofl::lol: I still remember "Powder Puff" rounds at the end of the night when all of us would put our girlfriends in our cars and bet on them while we partied in the stands. My girl could drive... Between her dad and me, she was doomed to it.:rofl: My first aerobatics instructor was a girl, she could fly hardcore, too bad she died in a C-130 doing fire bombing when the wings came off.:(

Lance, you may remember in the other thread that Becky has done some flight training already.

And yes, Girls Can Fly! :) :yes:

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: Hope you've got a heavy duty flame suit handy! :D

Yeah, but he's joking, with his history he's met a few BABs (Bad Assed Babes) in his life. They are rare, but they're out there and make great catches if you can wrangle one. The only problem is they need the same budgets or even worse because you don't want to cut costs on their safety. I bet John Force spends more on Courtney's equipment than his his own.;)

I bet John Force spends more on Courtney's equipment than his his own.;)

he is gonna be spending ALOT more money on the daughters now....

Ashley is raising the kid,,, Courtney is driving a funny and now Brittney gets her own top fuel car......'

That family has nitro instead of blood in their veins..

http://www.racintoday.com/archives/39588

he is gonna be spending ALOT more money on the daughters now....

Ashley is raising the kid,,, Courtney is driving a funny and now Brittney gets her own top fuel car......'

That family has nitro instead of blood in their veins..

http://www.racintoday.com/archives/39588

My buddy used to pit for him, I asked him if he'd like to adopt a son.:D nothing like the smell of nitro to clear the sinuses.:yes: I used to tune by the crackle and didn't wear muffs, amazingly when I go in the hearing test box I test fine.:dunno:

Last edited:
Unfortunately my co-worker just informed me that he is giving up on getting his pilot's license (he's already soloed), since it is too expensive now that he and his wife are considering having a child.

The kicker here is that I was letting this person use my airplane at no cost, all he had to do was to pay for fuel and for his instructor fees...this should be an eye-opener to just how expensive flying is for most people, and if you, as a potential pilot, don't have a complete and unwavering passion for it, it's just not worth it.
Q. How much money does it take to fly?
A. Why all of it, of course.

He didn't know that? :lol:

I think many start to realize after being in it for a while, that traveling around the country in a personal airliner isn't really practical for them and quit before they waste anymore money. There isn't an inherent flying gene built into us all. For many it's just a curiosity and little more.

This times a million!!! It's easy to dream about flying away to far flung places and having your own aircraft to be free as a bird.. Flight training is a big way to bring this down to earth or kill that dream all together..

Actually, if we are to use reason and logic, quitting flying makes a hell of a lot more sense than continuing for most of us. Some just come to this conclusion quicker than others.

Very true as well. A lot of people are quick to realize it would be nice to have your own plane but for the price paid, especially if you want to get to places - commercial air is faster/cheaper and you get to sleep.

Those that do finish their PPL and keep on flying either have aspirations to be a commercial pilot, have the cash flow to keep the above two instances from happening or have a passion for flying and like the flying community.. (or those who could really care less about how much money it costs.. hehe)

Perhaps we should have CMIs (Certified Marriage Instructors) and a 40+ hour "training" requirement for a marriage license?

Nowhere near enough time to prepare one for all the contingencies! :no:

When we got married, our church at the time required a certain number of hours of marriage counseling or they wouldn't do it. It was also requested of us since we were very good friends with the pastor who was going to marry us, that we do this with a pastor we didn't know as well. Someone with no vested interest in our relationship, so to speak.

In people's heads, the term "marriage counseling" brings up all sorts of wrong TV-based images. What this really was, was a serious discussion about the realities of married life, and made you ask yourself and your partner about their reasons for marrying each other. "Puppy love" didn't cut it. There were some decent scenarios and possibilities brought up. Even some written questionnaires to get the brain thinking. A qualified clergyman guiding the discussion, did a good job keeping things positive and interesting.

I wonder what percentage decide to bag it after counseling? Probably not a high enough percentage since the divorce rate is still around 50%.

With respect to the cost of flying (the original topic here), as one old codger put it:

"Flying is no more expensive today than it was fifty years ago when I learned to fly. It only takes every dollar you have."

I wonder what percentage decide to bag it after counseling? Probably not a high enough percentage since the divorce rate is still around 50%.

Before I marry a couple while we're still at the dock I take the couple aside and ask "Are you really sure you want to do this? You can still run and I'll give you a 15 minute head start." Never had one smart enough to take the hint.:rofl:

Before I marry a couple while we're still at the dock I take the couple aside and ask "Are you really sure you want to do this? You can still run and I'll give you a 15 minute head start." Never had one smart enough to take the hint.:rofl:

You're giving them the chance....but you haven't painted the scary picture of reality!

Yuh. My son has already decided he wants his license, and my daughter is "thinking about it"... maybe I should become a CFI so I can formally teach them :wink2:

As a teacher and professor (they're different), I can honestly say that teaching your own family can be more difficult than teaching a stranger.

As a teacher and professor (they're different), I can honestly say that teaching your own family can be more difficult than teaching a stranger.

I can attest to that....but the rewards if you pull it off are beyond description.

Taught my son summer of 2011 but with college hasn't had time or opportunity to fly but once since then. This evening, out of the blue, I get a txt message:

"I miss flying"

Warmed my heart. I'm tempted to fly up to his college and let him log some time!

I can attest to that....but the rewards if you pull it off are beyond description.

Taught my son summer of 2011 but with college hasn't had time or opportunity to fly but once since then. This evening, out of the blue, I get a txt message:

"I miss flying"

Warmed my heart. I'm tempted to fly up to his college and let him log some time!

Sounds like a good idea!

Back