Just How Does Your Name Sound?

It doesn't help that some people will de-frenchify their names so the rest of us get even more confused. I went to high school with a kid with a last name of DuBois. Pronounced it "do-bwah" right? Nope. "Do-boys"

And if one lives in a French community -- of which there are many in the State of Maine -- please, do research before you introduce to a friend your new acquaintance, Robert Berube. It's highly unlikely it'll be Ba-rooby; most likely you'll score when you introduce Mr. Berrabee, perhaps even preceded by "Ro-bare," emphasis on the 2nd syllable.

HR

One of my nurses at Childrens' Medical Center(Boston)(and in the mid 1950s) was Inza Mary Nurse. Her required name tag identified her as I. M. Nurse. She took, initially, so much heat(ribbing) from well-meaning parents in the elevators she stopped wearing her name tag. It took a special ruling from the top brass for her to get around the procedural dress code.

HR

Some of my "friends" like to call me by my first initial and last name. It produces a correct French pronunciation of the name of a piece of French bathroom equipment for women (B. Day). I guess its preferable to being called a commode.

Last edited:
Some of my "friends" like to call me by my first initial and last name. It produces a correct French pronunciation of the name of a piece of French bathroom equipment for women. I guess its preferable to being called a commode.
In that case, you would strenuously correct them... "Sir, I said 'Command Mode'!" :)

Back in college days, I was stopped by a Michigan State Trooper, whose badge said "John Law". How appropriate.
My last name: Sdunek, is often confused. My Mother always wants to make it easy and says pronounce it as Stunek. You can imagine what I was called in grade school.
My Grandfather from Germany prounounced sort of: 'Zhdunek' which I prefer. Not sure of the origin. He came from Germany, proviousely from Prussa. My Wife, a linguist, thinks it has Check roots. My Great Grandfather, who was the town black smith was named Wilhelm, but according to my Father-in-Law, was called 'Old Bill Donack.

Back