Just had to go flying!

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
Well it was so beautiful in central Indiana on Saturday afternoon I just had to go flying. So I took the club 172 out for a couple of trips around the pattern and then down to OXD (Miami, OH) for the fun of it. On the way down, I went up to 5500 and got above the haze. I had a bizjet pass below and in front of me at 5000 - it sure caught me off guard but was cool to see one up close. As I got close to CVG's class B I went down to 3000 for the rest of the way in and landed. It's a nice airport and town was about 3 miles away - too far to walk I decided, so I emptied the water tank, stood around and talked to a Navajo owner for a little bit and then headed for home.

On the way back I only went up to 3500 ft and was in the haze the whole way home. Looking to the west (into the sun) visibility was only about 7-10 miles - looking anywhere else but into the sun it was 15-20 miles! There was some excitement as I got to New Castle (UWL) as I was listening in to their CTAF there was a plane on the ground doing a radio check and a plane in the pattern who thought the plane on the ground was also in the pattern. By the time they got done figuring out where each other was I was long past the airport.

When I got back to Anderson the sun was setting. It was a great flight - about 1.7 total down and back with the touch and go's and the lolligagging I did.

I stopped and talked with the lineman for about an hour and then decided that since it was dark I'd get my night currency again. I went back out and did a quick pre-flight and then three trips around the pattern w/ full stop landings. About .6 total time due to all of the taxiing. My landings were much better than the night I went up at night, that's for sure. It sure did help raise the confidence level - but also reinforces that I need a lot more night time before I decide to do any serious night cross countries.

Nice post. If you're like me, you just can't get enought of this stuff. It's some kind of a disease, a syndrome, should be written up in the DSM. Sadly, there's no known therapy - just further reinforcement and deterioration in condition, with a negative prognosis. Just reconcile youself to your fate, and hope for the sympathy of loved ones :D.

Nice write up :)

I just cancelled the plane for our planned flight this weekend, and tomorrow is going to be a GORGEOUS day here, if the forecasts hold true. Sadly, Sunday looks like garbage at our destination, so I'll be spending tomorrow making a 5 hr drive instead of a 1.5 hr flight, and same for return on Sunday. Rats!! But Cathy has promised good weather for next weekend so I can get in the air for the first time post-op. Can't wait!!

Back