Just got off the phone with Congressman

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I just got off the phone with my Congressman's office. Lucky for me he sits on the Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure and on the aviation subcommitte. I called to talk to the person who deals with that in his office, and was told he was in a meeting, and would I like his voice mail. Sure, I can do that. So I leave a message for Matt Reifer stating that I am an airport manager, commercial pilot, flight instructor, and aircraft owner, and had some concerns over the proposal to change the FAA funding. I stated that maybe I would bring up some points that might not have been thought of, and even if they were, I think they need to be reinforced. I left my number, and expected a call in the next week or so. I was wrong. About thirty minutes later, I get a call back from Matt, and we had a great conversation. Serious, but light hearted with a couple laughs about the system and airlines.

(This is the second time I had to type this out, so I am not going into as much detail as I did the fist time typing it.)

1. Raising taxes or adding fees will not generate more revenue. I've talked to a lot of pilots, and they said they would just leave aviation and take up boating or something else. You can't collect taxes and fees if they aren't in the system.
  2. The proposal wants to make taxes on General Aviation fuel almost a dollar a gallon, while keeping the fuel for commercial craft at around five cents. If they want to talk about paying a fair share, I think we are already doing that with the current rates, especially since...
  3. GA is not as much of a burden on the system. As soon as I said that Matt jumped right in, and demonstrated some decent knowledge about the system, and the congestion, and times of day, and how we may only talk to 1 or 2 controllers, while a commercial operation may talk to 10 or 20. I chimed in and said that flying from Hastings, MI to Ludington was much different from flying from Chicago to St Louis, and made the joke that we aren't even allowed to talk to Chicago Approach right now because we don't have special transponders that identify us as a 767. He got a chuckle out of that.
  4. Raising taxes will have a trickle-down effect, if I can make a Reagonomics reference, that won't just affect pilots, but also the following:
    • Flight Schools. Using national averages and an airplane similar to mine, the increase in cost could be around $700 just to get your private certificate. Less people will be training.
    • Fuel wholesalers won't be selling as much fuel, because we won't be using as much
    • On airport business will get less customers because we will be flying less to get lunch or dinner.
    • Aircraft value will drop, and it will affect anyone in the business of selling planes, because no one is going to want to purchase one with all the additional taxes and fees.
    • Volunteer organization such as Angel Flight, Lifeline Pilots, and WIngs of Mercy will have less pilots or less hours to fly with the increased costs. With my flights last year, a quick calculation showed fees and taxes increasing my out of pocket costs by $500, for something I am already paying out of pocket for. A tax on volunteering is crazy.
    • Less airplanes flying means less work for mechanics. They will be out of business. Less people flying means less training, so not much need for instructors. Close those two professions down, and there's no need for FBOs.
    • Safety. We don't have an unlimited budget like the airlines want people to believe, and if you increase the costs too much, we just can't fly enough to stay safe. Sure, we might legally be able to fly, but proficiency could become an issue. Raise our costs 25%, and we'll reduce our flight time by 20%. That's not a good thing for safety.
  5. User Fees is only going to cause additional overhead, and reduced efficeiency. Another department will need to be created, and that's not going to help. Plus, no one is going to use services they don't NEED, and I hate to say it, but it could turn the skies into the Wild West. Not that if fees were implemented tomorrow, that on Saturday we'll have 1400 mid air collisions, but we aren't going to use the service and they will still not have the funding they want. Matt was right on board with that, and stated that most/everyone on the aviation subcommittee was a GA pilot, and were all opposed to the fees because of those two issues with the fees.
  6. I help run a company, and in 20 years we have never declared bankruptcy. If five companies, all of which have declared, or will declare bankrupcty, they are the last ones I will ask for an opinion for. He got a chuckle out of that, and totally agreed.
The conversation continued on, and he said that their is a lot of hearings going to be happening in the next couple weeks, and I said that I would love to come down there and state my opinion to Congress. We talked a little longer, retouching on some of the points, and he kept thanking me for calling. He talked about the relationship with AOPA, and that Mr. Ehlers was also a member of AOPA. I said that I've written in the past, but just really wanted to make sure *I* was heard. Not that my opinion counts for anymore than someone else, but after a few hundred letters they all probably sound the same. He said they've gotten a few hundred form letters, and I cracked wise that you probably only get through about one paragraph before it gets put on the read pile.

I said I understand the need for funding the system, and I realize that the Corporate Clog, or as USA Today says, Lear Lock can be an issue, but I just have a bad feeling that once an increase happens to Coporate part 91 flights, that it will extend to all of Part 91 flights. He seemed to agree with me, and a few more things were discussed about usage and operations and after the call I feel pretty confident that the President's funding proposal won't make it to the floor, and something with positive GA considerations will.

He thanked me for calling probably 15 or 20 times, and it almost seemed by the end of the conversation if I was the one that ended the call. I'd like to think it my was personality and demeanor that made him so appreciative, but he was probably sick of reading form letters.

Last edited:
Well done Ed. Now you make me feel like crap for not putting any effort into the fight.... Time to start.

Well done Ed. Now you make me feel like crap for not putting any effort into the fight.... Time to start.

It's ok, I understand you have been putting a lot of time and effort into keeping Tony happy.

Excellent job Ed!

Thanks. We actually discussed a few more things about short sightedness of the proposal, and how an immediate gain in taxes and fees will quickly diminish. Just like sending manufacturing jobs overseas. Sure the stuff is cheaper to make, but now no one here has a job to buy the stuff. Michigan has the worst state economy in the nation due to the short sightedness.

Good job, Ed.

When I called Hutchison and Cornyn (Senators from Texas) and Burgess (Rep from N. Texas), I told them that User Fees for general aviation would have the exact same effect as the Luxury Tax did.

Reminded them to call the president of Sea Ray, Meridian, Doral and some other yacht builders and ask them to relay how many jobs were lost "in an effort boost tax revenue" ala the Luxury Tax--because "user fees" ARE taxes. In my correspondences, I call them "a Luxury Tax in User Fees' clothing."

My wife and I have known Sen Kay Bailey Hutchison personally for almost twenty years and we're fortunate to be able to get a live, one-on-one conversation or meeting with her with little hassle.

I reminded her not to speak out of both sides of her backside/vertical smile--she utilizes the very system that she seemingly supported placing user fees upon.

That got her quiet for a minute.

But regardless of what I think of her personally, she's still a damn politician.

Regards.

-JD

P.S. In the time it took Ed or myself to type these posts, you could've typed a "no to user fees" e-mail to your own elected officials or picked up the phone and let your voice be heard.

Have you?

Good job, Ed.

When I called Hutchison and Cornyn (Senators from Texas) and Burgess (Rep from N. Texas), I told them that User Fees for general aviation would have the exact same effect as the Luxury Tax did.

Reminded them to call the president of Sea Ray, Meridian, Doral and some other yacht builders and ask them to relay how many jobs were lost "in an effort boost tax revenue" ala the Luxury Tax--because "user fees" ARE taxes. In my correspondences, I call them "a Luxury Tax in User Fees' clothing."

My wife and I have known Sen Kay Bailey Hutchison personally for almost twenty years and we're fortunate to be able to get a live, one-on-one conversation or meeting with her with little hassle.

I reminded her not to speak out of both sides of her backside/vertical smile--she utilizes the very system that she seemingly supported placing user fees upon.

That got her quiet for a minute.

But regardless of what I think of her personally, she's still a damn politician.

Regards.

-JD

P.S. In the time it took Ed or myself to type these posts, you could've typed a "no to user fees" e-mail to your own elected officials or picked up the phone and let your voice be heard.

Have you?

Well spoken Ed & JD.

Yeah, I do write short letters and even give money (like to the Recreational Aviation Foundation, *RAF*, AOPA, EAA, WSPA, SPA, APA, MPA, UPA, etc...) but consistently, I see little participation from pilots of any rank, just a whole lot of whinning if we lose something or have to pay a little more.

Hey - now that I live in Arizona I should try again. Last time I wrote a letter to my congressman (in New Mexico), 1 day later, he proposed a bill to include a monetary fine for violating the ADIZ.

I got a letter back talking about the dangers of GA and how he plans to help rid the skies of them :(

Need to check out the senators here.

An irony! I was composing an e-mail to Senator Susan Collins when I noticed that my caller ID listed a telephone call from Compartners, with a 202 area code. ???????????? So I listened to the voice mail. It was Susan Collins, making calls to Maine constituents to announce an upcoming "Conference Call" during which participants would be able to discuss issues of concern. "Sorry I missed you," she concluded the message.

My input re the User Fees has now gone to Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, and Congressmen Tom Allen and Michael Michaud.

HR

Need to check out the senators here.
Nick, You will probably get a favorable response from John Kyle but the other guy....

I admire John McCain something awful for having lost five years of his life in a POW camp. The story has it he turned down release, leaving others behind. I'm sure most don't even think about the thousand-pounders that fell from his A-4 on the Forestal. That happen just a few days before his being shot down and captured.

However, John McCain is now a RINO. I don't see him anywhere near supporting GA as it is today. He'll call for whatever it takes to support the corporations which have the greatest support of lobbyist in DC.

JD, good point on the Luxury Tax analogy. I was picturing that as soon as I read the one line in Ed's write-up. This effort will do to GA what the non-achievers want to do to the privileged wealthy. Of course, many think a private pilot IS one of the privileged. :rolleyes:

However, John McCain is now a RINO. I don't see him anywhere near supporting GA as it is today. He'll call for whatever it takes to support the corporations which have the greatest support of lobbyist in DC.

Don't forget that AOPA done ****ed him off a while back...

I'm glad you got such a positive response. I faxed the following letter to both of my Senators, and my Congressman. Anyone who wants to use some of this go right ahead:

My name is <protected> and I am one of your constituents. I am writing to express my opposition to the FAA's plan to remove itself from congressional oversight and placing greater control of the national airspace into private interests. I am sending this letter to request your support by opposing any onerous user fees on the general aviation community thereby ensuring the FAA is accountable to Congress and the tried and true controls Congress implements.

Currently the general aviation community contributes to the Airport/Airways Trust Fund through a "fuel tax." Fuel taxes are the best way for the general aviation community to pay for its use of the national airspace system. The government can efficiently collect fuel taxes. Fuel taxes are directly remitted to the federal government, eliminating the need for a large bureaucracy to collect the taxes from hundreds of thousands of individual pilots and aircraft owners. Taxes are collected without the administrative costs required to support a large and expensive bureaucracy of collectors, administrators, auditors accountants and dispute resolution personal. Therefore funds collected through user fees would have administration costs associated which are no longer available to the FAA for services. Additionally Congress loses control of how the services are designed and implemented.

By contrast, the experience our industry has had with user fees in other countries demonstrates that there are serious drawbacks to those systems. In fact, the US enjoys the added economic benefit of student pilots electing to perform their training here, as opposed to their own soil due to exuberant costs associated with training in their home country.

Fees can also indirectly act as a deterrent to using some of the systems that have made flying in this country as safe as it is. As private pilots flying in clear weather, we are not required to speak with air traffic control, unless we are in designated airspace where it is required. Many pilots however choose to use services and navigation equipment, but may discontinue use if there were fees involved. This would likely decrease safety and increase resource costs dealing with emergencies that could be prevented by using tax based services.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter, and for your service to our state.

Good letter and good info ... seems kind of ironic that at first glance, we're against "less government" by more privatization per se, but in fact, in this case, less government actually equals more government, more waste and less efficient use of tax dollars.

I would, but it's a bit before my time so I don't have the greatest of info.

Mike? Anyone else?

In a nutshell, before McCain became "the new McCain" sorta like "the new Nixon" he was famous for never forgetting a grudge.

He was on the transportation committee and very vocally in the pockets of the airlines and very in favor of user fees. AOPA ran TV ads about that when he ran for re-election and he said, "They came to Arizona and told lies about about me!"

So now you gotta wonder if we'll get the new or old McCain.

It's funny that form letters are so lightly regarded; I spent probably half an hour writing three individualized letters to both of my Senators and my Congressman, and two of the three responded with non-descript form letters. One of the Senators has not responded yet at all, but I am looking forward to that form letter shortly.

Dear Constituent,

Thank you so much for writing to me regarding your important issue. I want you to know that I am well aware of the issue, and have been very active in pursuing remedies similar to those you proposed. Your insights on the issue are valuable to me as I continue to press the issue on Capitol Hill. Rest assured that I will continue to support legislation that addresses your vital issue, in order to ensure that my constituents' opinions are heard and acted upon by our nation's Government.

Yours very truly,

Senator Blowhard

C:\programs\msword\common directory\lowly intern\generic canned responses\response #13

It's funny that form letters are so lightly regarded; I spent probably half an hour writing three individualized letters to both of my Senators and my Congressman, and two of the three responded with non-descript form letters. One of the Senators has not responded yet at all, but I am looking forward to that form letter shortly.

He said they appreciate things that are different. I told him that when I've written in the past, I have read the form letter first, and then written mine so it sounds nothing like the form letter, just in case I was wording some things the same way. He said that was a good thing.

Different = good.

While you're writing/calling your congressperson, remind them that funding for the Airport Improvement Program (AIP) expires this fiscal year and there is no provision in the proposed FAA budget to re-instate it, something the FAA has done in past years.

If you're not familiar with the AIP, it's the (currently) $150,000/yr that airports with no scheduled airline services can apply for to be used for airport upgrades like runway/taxiway lighting, VASI's, signage, ramp extensions, security fences/gate, etc. Many small airports depend on this as their primary source of funding for projects, particularly rural airports with little local political/financial support.

I'm glad you got such a positive response. I faxed the following letter to both of my Senators, and my Congressman. Anyone who wants to use some of this go right ahead:

I used your basic letter with some changes. Thanks. I am not as articulate as I should be. Bill

Back