just got home

GAZOO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GAZOO
from a first day of Emergency Maneuvers/Acrobatic Training. Never had so much fun in my life. Did about 20 spins in a row. Learn rolls and loops tomorrow. Two words come to mind when describing the experience...

BAD ASS!!!

If you survived 20 consecutive spins without barfing then you are a badass. I have a strong stomach and after two spins I was about ready to lose it.

Kudos for doing some really valuable training that should pay important safety dividends in the future.

I have never taken any aerobatic training. What I thought I would share is this. I remember the first time I did a power on stall during my primary training and how it scared the crap out of me when it seemed like a wing just dropped out from under me. However, later on in training, my instructor introduced me to spin training and after doing a few I found it to be a lot of fun. Amazing how your prospective changes!

I hope you have a lot of fun with your aerobatic training. :)

Jean

I have never taken any aerobatic training. What I thought I would share is this. I remember the first time I did a power on stall during my primary training and how it scared the crap out of me when it seemed like a wing just dropped out from under me. However, later on in training, my instructor introduced me to spin training and after doing a few I found it to be a lot of fun. Amazing how your prospective changes!

I hope you have a lot of fun with your aerobatic training. :)

Jean

Whoa! Blast from the past ... nice to see you again, Jean!

just got home from day 2. Did a bunch more spins in all kinds of different configurations. Spins are AWESOME!!! Did a spin recovery where instructor did a dive then pulled up into a loop, before coming over, stalled the plane which turned into a spin. I DID NOT LIKE THIS!!! I found myself hanging from the shoulder belts. Asked instructor to do it one more time, nope don't like it....move on. That particular maneuver was just too much for my head to handle. I am doing this course to better understand the airplanes actions and how to recover from major pilot error. I'm not trying to be a aerobatic pilot. That maneuver made it clear I can't handle the crazy stuff:nono:

Got four more lessons to do, then I made a deal with the instructor to fly in my airplane and do some maneuvers. I want to know what my plane can do and how it reacts, but I want an experienced pilot with me while I find out :)

I highly recommend this course to anyone who pilots an airplane. Its a real eye opener and has built my confidence big time

i would love to go up in a areobatic plane for 1 hr. However, areobatic schools are hard to find here in NC. Florida is a different story though, they are everywhere. :dunno:

Where in CA is this spin training? I've always wanted to try....

In Sonoma (wine country) there was a brand new school offering aerobatic rides for $99 including parachute. They also did spins / unusual attitude recovery / etc. I even took an intro taildragger lesson there.

But then their student ground looped the Citabria on his first solo and now they have no plane. Until they buy a new one aerobatics are off.

If all you're looking for is a Citabria, there are several spots. Sundance has a 7ECA, and there are several down at KRHV. If you're looking for real aerobatics (like an Extra), I don't think anyone has anything north of King City. If money were no object, I'd camp down there....

I seem to recall seeing a Stearman at Sonoma last time I was there. That would be a fun one.

King City is Sean Tucker's school. There also appears to be a hardcore outfit at Santa Paula.

I've always been curious about doing some of this training. Sounds fun and definitely a way to increase confidence. Wish there was something closer to me.

There are a few aerobatic airplanes at LVK. There are Pitts, Marchetti, and some other exotics along with Citabria at Attitude Aviation. Also my flight school Red Sky Aviation has Extra for those who can stomach +5 / -2G. Tailwheels are PITA to taxi, but pretty fun to fly.

I call it "drunken taxi'ing". Just realized I got to do it for the very first time on Saturday (modified RV6)

But then their student ground looped the Citabria on his first solo and now they have no plane. Until they buy a new one aerobatics are off.

I can relate. Did an aerobatic intro, got checked out in a Citabria, the it was ground-looped a week later. It's still sitting in parts spread across two different hangars more than 12 years later. :sad:

I called it tap dancing especially right after three point landing, but drunk taxing fits the bill also.

Where in CA is this spin training? I've always wanted to try....

In Sonoma (wine country) there was a brand new school offering aerobatic rides for $99 including parachute. They also did spins / unusual attitude recovery / etc. I even took an intro taildragger lesson there.

Did my course at Santa Paula airport. its between camarillo and ventura. CP aviation. They have a web site. I did mine in a decathlon. They have several different planes. If you end up going there, ask for Charlotte Alexander. She was my instructor and was AWESOME!!! Best money I ever spent, I have 4 more lessons 2 weeks from now:)

Back