Just getting started

Slipstream

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jimmy c.
Hello All; Have read some of the posts here and I can see I'm still at the point where I don't even know what to ask yet... but here goes.

I have done several Discovery flights out of Addison Tx last month and a few year back did about an hour and half in a gyrocopter.. Whoo Hoo. Now I'm ready to go for my certification.

Does this sound like a plan??
I have a physical with my Doc next month. Can I take his results to an FAA Doc for him to review? Approve??
Ground School: Next spring with a club here in North Texas, and then flight lessons somewhere. Either Addison/Rockwall or maybe the club could provide that?? Will need to look into see what they offer.

I know it seems spread out but I was looking to defray some of the cost over time... Would it be best to go with some company that does the whole thing??

What other suggestion do you have?

Thanks;
jimmy c.

Personally I think it's easier to do the ground school during training.Sure you can cram the information into your head to take the test but you'd get more out of it if you learned about a topic and then used it in your flying.

Your doctor physical is a good idea to rule out any issues but odds are the AME will also do some of the stuff over again. If you find you have high blood pressure at your doc you'll have to show it's under control before the medical. You also don't need a medical until you want to solo. If it were me...I'd get a Private Pilot book (Rod Machados are good) read over it this winter and take a couple of your beginning flight instructions and when you are sure you enjoy flying (you dont' get airsick or any of the other issues that could come up) then do the AME - which gives you a chance to be sure any issues are under control. Then study for the written. I'm sure Cap'n Ron will be along to advise his course which I am not a fan of (even though I did look into it)

Don't waste time with your doctor (unless you have a condition) just look in the YP for a flight surgeon. The fees are often about $80-120.

This is not a cheap hobby.

Even if you own your own 150/172/Cherokee, could cost you $50 per hour to fly if you fly at least 100 hrs a year or more using mogas.

Best route is often the quickest and most direct route but not always.

You need time, money, motivation. Since you seem to have motivation and time I will focus on ways to cut the cost.

How often you fly to train effects total cost. Longer time between lessons takes more time, more total hours and more cfi time and more cost.
If you can only fly 1 hr a week or less then it might well take you 2 years or longer to get your ppl and cost you more total flight hours, money and delay your freedom of flight. Many of us have started this way and quit and often not come back to flying for a dozen years or more.

If you can fly 3 times a week then you can do it in 6-9 months and end up with less total hours/expense. The reason for this is that you will not have to spend the first half of every lesson relearning what you forgot or prooving to your instructor that you are ready to go forward to the next lesson (from 10 days ago as you will have flown vs 2 days ago in the faster option). Long times between flights will require the CFI to lose track of where you are at. It is written in your log but they will not have confidence that you are at the same level you were 7-10 days ago so you retrain or at least re-demonstrate. It is not uncommon to have 80-100 hrs and more than 2 years when trying to fly once a week. On the other hand you might expect 50 hours in a schedule under 12 month duration with a schedule of 3-4 flights a week. I would go so far as to say if you do not fly at least 2 times a week the odds of you getting your license are significantly reduced as live has its distractions.

How to begin? Find a flight surgeon in the yellow pages. Call them and ask their fees. If you do not have special medical issues or take prescription medication for a condition, go to the cheapest guy. With that medical in hand, find a plane and a CFI.

Since budget is an issue I would find the most reasonably priced airplane to rent in the area and a reasonable CFI. Most people go to an FBO or school to do this but that is not written in stone and it is likely the most expensive option. You can increase your pilot network by joining Civil Air partrol. You might learn some significant cost savings measure through your pilot network.

AP rental can be $79-110-140 per hour just for the aircraft and schools plus fbos tend to charge upwards of $45-60 per hr for CFI.

Save up to half the total cost....If you can find a partnership or club membership in one of the airports near your home with a training adequate airplane, that can reduce the hourly costs to something approaching $60 per flight hour. You have cut your total costs in half right from the gitgo. Most clubs have CFI's approved but you can often find your own through Craigslist or pilots wall in one of the local airports as well.

Not everyone lives near an available partnership share or flight club but if you do its a bonanza for you. With your own airplane source, you could well find an unemployed or independent CFI to work for $12-15 per hour paid cash directly. You could save half the total cost of a private license using these techniques. You could use that savings to get your instrument as well or just to get more personal flying when you are done.

Another way to save money on CFI time is to buy, borrow or get from local library some sportys, cleim or King private license ground school videos. Watch the videos as you go through your training. Training is in modules or lessons so it is very easy to match your ground school video training with what your instructor is doing in the airplane with you. This will reduce the hourly CFI time you require before and after each flight. You need not take a ground school if you use this method.

While I tend not to use credit for anything these days if you know that you want to be a pilot and have trouble putting together all the money and time at the same time, it could well serve you to borrow the money to get your PPL done fast. (assuming that you are doing it in the best economic fashion to begin with).

If you save half the cost of CFI time, ground school and aircraft rental then you can well afford some interest to pay it off. I wish I had borrowed the $500-700 it might have taken to pay for my PPL back in 1975 even if I had to take 2 years to make payments after I completed training, rather than the $2-3k I spent 11-12 years ago or the $8k it takes today. On the other hand don't get carried away and sign up for some fancy school that will leave you with more than $8k debt.

Bad advice Tony - If he goes to the AME and they find he has high blood pressure or some other condition he fails the medical. Best to find out before he goes that he's routinely healthy. Unless the AME will do it "under the table" the first time through to see if he *would* pass.

Another way, if possible schedule/moneywise, is to take a few weeks off work and fly as much as you can. I did my PPL in 16 days. VERY hard work but it can be done.

I always go to my pcp before my flight physical .this gives you an out for lsa.set up a plan you can work with time wise ant financially.I also like to use home study for the written.

Thank for the tips. I do have HBP , its controlled. Yearly physical next month anyway. Does everyone have to have a physical or only if you know of a condition?? Books from Ebay is another good idea. In no hurry so I'll ask around and check out the local flying clubs. Luckly Dallas is a large place so I can shop around.

Did they actually test your blood pressure on your medical? I got mine recently but am not sure if they do?

Bad advice Tony - If he goes to the AME and they find he has high blood pressure or some other condition he fails the medical. Best to find out before he goes that he's routinely healthy. Unless the AME will do it "under the table" the first time through to see if he *would* pass.

I thought I qualified that "in less you have a condition."

Thank for the tips. I do have HBP , its controlled. Yearly physical next month anyway. Does everyone have to have a physical or only if you know of a condition?? Books from Ebay is another good idea. In no hurry so I'll ask around and check out the local flying clubs. Luckly Dallas is a large place so I can shop around.

Books are the cheap part. The ones you'll be tested on are free as PDF (faa.gov), and can be bought cheaply in printed form. No need to get out of date crap where shipping costs more than a new product off EBay.

Your flight physical will cost a lot more, as it isn't usually covered by insurance.

And it's been said already, a flight physical MUST be done by an AME.

Howdy from Denton!!

Slipstream said:
I have a physical with my Doc next month. Can I take his results to an FAA Doc for him to review? Approve??

Having an annual physical done is always a good idea. Better to find a treatable condition early on than to wait. Are you inferring with "Can I take his results..." that you have a condition that would be a red flag to the FAA?

Read the help file for the MedXpress form via by clicking this link. Pay extra attention to Questions 17 and 18.

Do your research via the AOPA medications database on any items that you're taking to ensure they are not items that are either prohibited or need additional documentation. Neither of these are show stoppers to start training, but you may need Dr. Bruce Chien's guidance to know how to present your information to the Aviation Medical Examiner (AME)

On Question 18, if you answered yes to any of these items, then additional documentation might be required. Again, no show stoppers, but seek Dr. Bruce's guidance on what is needed and how the Doctor's report should be worded to achieve success.

The big take away here is to educate yourself on what is needed so that when you do walk in to the AME's office, you know with 100% that you will get your medical certificate in office and not be stuffed into deferral hell, or worse, denied. If you have any questions about the medical certification process, seek out Dr. Bruce Chien.

I can recommend a good AME near to KADS, Dr. Gabriel Fried (pronounced "freed"). He does a good job and has helped me a few times.

[[edit to add]] I just read your reply about high blood pressure. This is a condition that will require some additional documentation. But this is simple to get. Just consult with Dr. Bruce on what is needed.

Slipstream said:
Ground School: Next spring with a club here in North Texas, and then flight lessons somewhere. Either Addison/Rockwall or maybe the club could provide that?? Will need to look into see what they offer.

I know it seems spread out but I was looking to defray some of the cost over time... Would it be best to go with some company that does the whole thing??

Formal ground school (aka in a classroom) doesn't happen as much as many would like anymore. So many students and pilots have moved to the home study programs that the folks interested in investing 13 weeks and up to 45 hours of their time don't come around often enough.

But there is a good instructor in your area who might do both the ground training and flight training, and do a top job of it. Go find Wayne Fink at the Dallas Air Park (identifier F69, http://goo.gl/maps/fqnzO). Wayne is a very well seasoned instructor who teaches both primary and instrument flying. He has a Beechcraft Sundowner he rents for $90 wet to non-partners and is looking for 2 or 3 equity partners (meaning the $$/hour could be a bit less). And his instructor rates are reasonable. The net result is you could be into a good instructor/aircraft combo for around $120-130/hr, which in the area you're residing in, is a really good deal.

At KADS, there are two PPL schools I know of (might be another one), Monarch and American Flyers. Both are good, just pricey.

At KADS, one of the areas better flying clubs is based there. RFC Dallas (www.rfcdallas.com) has some good aircraft and their structure and rates are good.

At KDTO in Denton, Denton Flying Club will be starting up around the holiday times. We are still in progress to getting our first aircraft (a Piper Cherokee) and hope to have that done soon. www.dentonflyingclub.com

We have some good folks in and around Dallas. If you'd like to meet up with one or some of us in person to ask questions like this, you're more than welcome to set something up and invite us.

Last edited:
Back