Just getting a work out

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
I decided a few weeks ago that I wasn't getting enough "hands on" attitude flying under the hood. Toys that fly the plane are GREAT!!!, and you need to totally understand your toys. But the degradation to hand-flying skills is enormous, as I know y'all know. Since I have the week off, I scheduled some quality time with my CFI.

Today was a great flight....a nice big old High sitting on us with bumpy conditions to challenge any attitude flying. I was dreading this flight as I hated to let my CFI know how crappy my skills were. And I didn't disappoint for the first 15 min or so. Finally, the neurons engaged, and I started to act like an instrument pilot again. What a relief it was that I did know how to hand fly on the gauges, and the rest of the flight was a lot of fun, tho a touch tiring.

My goal is to be check-ride qualified again without the toys, so there's more flying to do. But now I'm really looking forward to the flights as it's so much fun watching those hard-earned skills quickly come back. And one of my permanent New Year's resolutions is to keep that skill set sharp! :yes:

As a side note, the trim test on the autopilot failed at start up. And what did I do...stare at it....it's not suppose to do that, right? :frown2: Well, I didn't stare at it that long. After attempts to reset, checking the POH, we had to pull the CB for the flight....wasn't going to use it anyway. But talk about a timely reminder as to why I was doing this in the first place.

Kaye

Last edited:
Good work Kaye! I find the same thing, if I don't hand fly for a couple weeks, it takes some getting used to again. On trips, I try to hand fly for some period on each leg to try to stay proficient, but I never feel more proficient than after leaving SIMCOM training or after a good IPC.

Best,

Dave

Good for you Kaye. I always fly my practice approaches with my hands so that when I am in IMC for real I am proficient and then just use the gizmos to lessen my work load.

I cannot express enough how important to me having a good PC "that will run it properly" is and a current verious of Flight sim X w/ SP 2 and or a slightly older version. Clearly you need the yokes, pedals etc to make it realistic but talk about making you stay sharp. I have about 15-20 different sets of approach plates and try to average at least 4-5 hours per week on the sim doing approaches in or below min weather to help keep me focused. I switch it up between steam and the G1000 and even do partial panel stuff. Since I've moved up to Indy area and left the warm Orlando, I have weeks...sometimes months now where we can't fly due to icing. ANytime that I'm going to fly IFR I do the approaches 10 times in the sim before the real deal and it helps 3000% IMO.

If you don't have a sim....get one...it keeps you sharp sharp if you truly spend the time on it and keep track on a notepad what you've done...and grade yourself. I logged 23 hours of IFR time last week during the break and holidays. It's just like the real deal...makes you tired, stressed and grumpy...but it keeps the scan going and teachs you from the dive and climbs...and from chasing needles vs letting them "come to you".

Take care,
Mike

I agree that a properly set up flight sim, even if not a training device recognized by the FAA, can be a big help on maintaining your instrument scan and interpretation, which is the foundation for proficiency. It can also help in practicing procedures at unfamiliar airports, etc.

Tim I seen you don some work on it as well on your web site. I run dual 22" LCD monitors and have 3 computers networked together to run it. I run mine set up with the CH PRO Yoke, Pedals and have the multi throttle quad for the Baron 58 while I track "when working with other pilots" on the other systems in ATC mode to monitor and do comms between the systems. We do this to help even add more realism to the set up by one pilot acting as ATC changing codes, altitudes, headings etc. We work at the basics and then add to it until we get over load failure and then switch whos in the seat. I love my set up ...although it's about time to make some changes to mine since it is now 1 year old and "old school" compared to the new parts that are out there. I run it on a gigabit network set up and so far it seems to run decent.

I always fly the approaches to my Dest and ALTs before any trip when I know I'm going to be in the soup. It's amazing when you really don't even need to look at the plates and know the freqs etc when you get there. Talk about reduced stress in the critical moments when you can fly almost anywhere and be at least knowledgable on the procedures!!

m

Although...for the record....I can't pass the IR checkride on the game. I'm not sure it's possible to be quite frank. I've tried at least 4 times and after you go missed the VOR and the ADF don't agree and it fails you on the missed w/ hold...grrr. I am a private pilot on the game LOL.

M

Tim I seen you don some work on it as well on your web site. I run dual 22" LCD monitors and have 3 computers networked together to run it. I run mine set up with the CH PRO Yoke, Pedals and have the multi throttle quad for the Baron 58 while I track "when working with other pilots" on the other systems in ATC mode to monitor and do comms between the systems. We do this to help even add more realism to the set up by one pilot acting as ATC changing codes, altitudes, headings etc. We work at the basics and then add to it until we get over load failure and then switch whos in the seat. I love my set up ...although it's about time to make some changes to mine since it is now 1 year old and "old school" compared to the new parts that are out there. I run it on a gigabit network set up and so far it seems to run decent.

I always fly the approaches to my Dest and ALTs before any trip when I know I'm going to be in the soup. It's amazing when you really don't even need to look at the plates and know the freqs etc when you get there. Talk about reduced stress in the critical moments when you can fly almost anywhere and be at least knowledgable on the procedures!!

m

I'm already planning on how to incorporate it (and other stuff like the G1000 sims) into ground training. No, it's not loggable as flight sim or training device time, but it still has some value. I'm gonna get the book "Using flight sim as training aid" as a starting point. I really think that it can be used for some good ADM scenarios - "let's see what would happen if we tried a trip in this weather" and wind up on top of an overcast layer, or in really crappy visibility, low on fuel, etc.

Yeah...that's what I do...although I'm not an instructor, it certainly helps anyone when you get help from someone that is not charing by the hour!! Flight sim has came a long way...it's just a shame that it takes $2500-$3000 computer to run it well enough you can maintain really good frame rates to make it smooth. I spent $700 just on the Video card alone...let alone the 10,000 raptor drives etc etc.

I also like how it keeps a log book for you to help keep track of time spent on your own personal training. I wish the G1000 was just a bit more functional but...what do you expect for a $50 game right??

Take care,
M

Back