Just curious

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
I was thinking........(probably a bad thing, haha)
A Cessna Citationo on the field at KPTS is a single pilot jet with the autopilot operating. So during a type checkride is the pilot allowed to use the autopilot as much as they would like or do you have to manually fly the whole time?

The PTS says, "at least one (one of precision, and one of non-precision) must be flown manually".
So you end up doing both. The examiner wants to see that you can fly without it, and can use it to reduce your workload as well.

Rudy;

A very good question. I sense the term "Operational" or working auto pilot is the key. The airplane was certified to allow it to be flown by a single pilot with the auto pilot in working or "operational order" If the auto pilot is not working then the plane is not certified for single pilot Ops.

The real question comes is about use of the auto pilot. This is where someoneon POA who had flown these planes can help out. I have not. I would feel you could hand fly it during the Check ride if you choose to. The examiner will want to see how you use all the equipment including the auto pilot available to you to conduct a safe flight.

Rudy; I remember as a kid I wanted to fly and own a Grumman Gulf Stream I the old turbo Prop. I would dream and dream. One of my mentors said if you dream and work at it you might get there. I did get about 15 minutes of stick
time in a Citation 40 years later and it was terrific. That 15 minutes aswered a dream I had for many years.

Have fun and follow your dreams

John

Last edited:
From that ATP/Type Rating PTS:

"Two precision approaches, utilizing airplane NAVAID equipment for centerline and glideslope guidance, must be accomplished in simulated or actual instrument conditions to DA/DH. At least one approach must be flown manually. The second approach may be flown via the autopilot, if appropriate, and if the DA/DH altitude does not violate the authorized minimum altitude for autopilot operation. Manually flown precision approaches may use raw data displays or may be flight director assisted, at the discretion of the examiner."

If the autopilot and all other single-pilot (SP) equipment are working and the applicant wants an SP rating, the applicant can take a "single-pilot" ride including at least one manual precision approach (the FAA wants to know that he won't crash and burn if the a/p goes t/u) and be SP rated in type. If the autopilot or other required SP equipment isn't working (but the airplane is still OK to fly with 2 pilots under its MEL) or the applicant simply chooses not to go for the SP rating, the examiner can act as SIC (or an SIC can occupy the right seat and perform the SIC duties) and the rating will be issued with a "SIC required" restriction.

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone, was thinking about that the other day and I figured one of you guys would know for sure!

Back