Just curious, is flight medicine as demanding in the exams?

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
I have been slogging through, though I also enjoy it, many subjects here in Norway, in Norwegian to study for my exam. Just made it through the online portion of "laws and regulations" (lov og bestemmelser in Norwegian) and was looking forward to "flymedisin" which I am only guessing is "flight medicine".

I don't know what's on the actual exam from the Norwegian version of the FAA exam, but man..I thought that part would be easy, but it is learning about how the lungs, heart, blood, arteries and capillaries, how hemoglobin transfers (if I get it) oxygen into the blood and to the cells, co2 and partial pressure at different heights for each type of element (oxygen, co2, etc.) as well as symptoms of hypoxia vs. hyperventilation vs. Carbon monoxide poisoning, and all different types of oxygen supplemental systems, etc.

Two questions come to mind.

1) do they actually go into this in the US PPL exam as deeply and
2) anyone know of a good book in English that I could use to supplement the Norwegian one?

Actually a third, is it called "flight medicine" in English?

"Flight physiology" is how I know it.

1. When is any part of the US education system considered thorough, or deep?

Mostly it''s understanding the symptoms of O2 & CO problems. balance (inner ear - such as steep turns), affect of drugs and alcohol, etc.

It's just there are test questions that I don't know if they really reflect the exam I will be taking in Norway, but the book is going pretty deep into how lungs work, transfer oxygen to the cells via capillaries, etc.

On top of this we have flight psychology which is a separate book/subject. I think then it is just flight lessons. How to do maneuvers, etc. which I jumped the gun on and had some flying time which i am glad for.

But now it's taken so long I have to go back to the beginning books again as I fear I've forgotten a bit there.
Kinda like painting the Golden Gate Bridge with all this new learning, they get done painting it and have to start already again at the beginning.

I was checking and here in Norway as far as I can see the exam lets you bring a "non programmable" calculator (naming a few acceptable models) and an E6B (but no instructions booklet that comes with it) or equivalent. Also a protractor and ruler. I think there were some rules even on those simple items.

That seems to be all.

Back