Just compleated my first (solo) engine teardown

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
Spent the past few days with my favorite H2AD Lyc changing the cam, and for the first time in a few years no leaks! Even better just got back from flying it and she's performing to spec. Sometimes it's nice to confirm you actually do have an idea about what you're doing:rofl:

I know the feeling. I finally got my Mitsubishi back together (significantly more complicated than any Lycoming) after changing the turbos, timing belt, oil pump, etc. It started first time I turned the key...

Of course, I'm still working through a few other issues with the upgrades... :mad2:

It'd be cool to do a tear down and rebuild. Last time was long ago, on a Toyota. :)

Did you upgrade the oil system to the cam? The H2AD is a real problem without it, down the road. Most guys sell those engines and install a 180 HP.

Did you upgrade the oil system to the cam? The H2AD is a real problem without it, down the road. Most guys sell those engines and install a 180 HP.

I always wondered who came up with the brilliant idea to have the letters "AD" in an engine designator.

I always wondered who came up with the brilliant idea to have the letters "AD" in an engine designator.

Not one of their better engines, and not a very smart idea.

RV guys like to use them after they have been rebuilt with a modified oiling system. Cheap.

Reduced printing cost down the line, just re-use the letters.

Just inspected my cam H2AD. 800 SMOH in 1997 with T Mod. Lifters and Cam look like new.
I was dreading what I'd find but no worries. Apparently the T Mod fixed the problem. I do change oil 25 hours or 4 months w/cam guard and elite 20/50 -since '07 when I acquired her. Used to run Aeroshell since break in. Plane lives in hangar, and generally fly's right on the Atlantic Ocean at KOXB. Fly < 75 hrs year. At Lycoming school I attended in Williamsport, they assert the bulk of the H2AD engines coming in are in the best shape of all. Stigma stays with these engines but the hybrid engines are the only ones you can inspect the lifters/cam without splitting case.

BTW, Lycoming uses 'Food Grade' anti-seize on ALL cylinder 3/8" and 1/2" hold down studs on this engine (and others) before torquing -SB 1029, to get proper torque. Also new nuts because of 'thread stretch'. FWIW.

At Lycoming school I attended in Williamsport, they assert the bulk of the H2AD engines coming in are in the best shape of all. Stigma stays with these engines but the hybrid engines are the only ones you can inspect the lifters/cam without splitting case.

That is the claim, yes. Although that's frequently true of the 4-cylinders in general as they're lower power. The H2AD's problems initially caused it to have a number of changes made.

I somewhat wonder if it's much different than the other engines that have evolved over time in that manner. The H2AD was problematic, as were the TIO-541 series. But I never saw what the data were on the early O-435s, from which the present-day 540s evolved.

No, as our planes are operated as trainers we fly them so much that the cams usually aren't an issue. This particular engine was salvaged off a wreck (not engine related, nor damaged:wink2: ) and sat unused for over a year before installation.

We are confident that with our usage of the plane the Tmod isn't worth the expence.

At Lycoming school I attended in Williamsport, they assert the bulk of the H2AD engines coming in are in the best shape of all. Stigma stays with these engines but the hybrid engines are the only ones you can inspect the lifters/cam without splitting case.

T-mod helps normal operators but I'd be willing to bet that a good portion of the non modded engines are school planes and with frequent use the problem becomes much less prevelent.

"Dear Lycoming,

Please make us a cheap engine, 160hp will suffice.

Love,
Cessna"
:rolleyes2:

As I understand it, that was effectively the conversation.

As I understand it, that was effectively the conversation.

More or less, not a fan of features like the stamped rockers, cam requires snake oil...

Oh well works well for us, and now that it spins the 2340 static that's speced it's even better.

More or less, not a fan of features like the stamped rockers, cam requires snake oil...

Stamped rockers are common in lots of American V8s, and they go a long time without issue.

The attempt with the H2AD was to make a less expensive aircraft engine. A valiant attempt, for sure. The issues it had were pretty well par for the course with any development program. Cessna stuck with it, and although it's still not my favorite engine (not by a long shot), its development issues got sorted out as a result. The TI(G)O-541s were similar - I suspect that if they'd stuck around longer, their issues would've been sorted out better.

Oh well works well for us, and now that it spins the 2340 static that's speced it's even better.

Read the AD, stamped rockers has nothing to do with the need for snake oil..

"Dear Lycoming,

Please make us a cheap engine, 160hp will suffice.

Love,
Cessna"
:rolleyes2:
Dear Lycoming We made the C-172Xp using the C-IO360 and it runs as smooth as silk, but Continental wants too much money for us to place them on all of our 172's So what cha got for cheap.?

Love Cessna.

Read the AD, stamped rockers has nothing to do with the need for snake oil..

I know, two different gripes. And the dislike of the rockers is kind of a gut thing, I just like the heavier attachments of the more normal aircraft rockers.

Back