Just commented on MOSAIC, have you?

I don’t disagree with this either tbh. I have a sport pilot but still go up with an instructor for IFR basics, keeping my head out of the cockpit, and other things that are perishable skills after the so called 30-40 hrs for sport pilot

Or, we could start actually teaching VFR skills.
Agreed.

When I take a step back and look at it objectively, I think IFR is beyond the intended scope of the Sport Pilot certificate.
But if someday IFR becomes a reality for Sport Pilots (and Private-or-higher exercising Sport Pilot privileges), I wouldn't be mad about it. :cool:

Agreed.

When I take a step back and look at it objectively, I think IFR is beyond the intended scope of the Sport Pilot certificate.
But if someday IFR becomes a reality for Sport Pilots (and Private-or-higher exercising Sport Pilot privileges), I wouldn't be mad about it. :cool:
Is it??

let's look at this two ways
1. A person comes in and gets a sport pilot from the start. In this scenario I agree but ....
2. how many private pilots choose the sport pilot route due to the drives license medical or other issues?

Now every sport pilot is a low time low trained pilot, not do they want to be. I personally would feel safer flying in the system wth the proper training, maybe I'm the exception because I like to constantly train and upskill and use tools like flight following on every flight and use my place for cross country trips not just local 20NM sight-seeing flights

Is it??

let's look at this two ways
1. A person comes in and gets a sport pilot from the start. In this scenario I agree but ....
2. how many private pilots choose the sport pilot route due to the drives license medical or other issues?
Seems as soon as you get into IFR, it's "useful", not "sport" flying, and the added requirements for a PP are a reasonable prerequisite for an instrument rating. You need the hours for the IR anyway so getting a PP along the way is no burden, and the FAA allows you to concurrently apply for a PP and IR at the same time, presumably with a single checkride. But I don't see a problem with an IFR PP operating IFR under the SP rules with no medical.

I'm a PP, no IR, flew without a medical as a SP for some years because the plane I owned qualified as a LSA, so why bother with a medical? No issues, when I bought a heavier plane I went and got one medical (and then went basicmed, because again why bother?).

With regard to the Sport Pilot certificate proper, yes, IFR is beyond the intended scope the certificate.
The Sport Pilot certificate was intended for flying as a leisure activity, a hobby if you will, in good weather, ie: VFR conditions.

Those are not Sport Pilots. They are higher certificated pilots "exercising Sport Pilot privileges". Splitting hairs perhaps.

Now every sport pilot is a low time low trained pilot, not do they want to be. I personally would feel safer flying in the system wth the proper training, maybe I'm the exception because I like to constantly train and upskill and use tools like flight following on every flight and use my place for cross country trips not just local 20NM sight-seeing flights

I'm not saying that at all... I'm a Sport Pilot myself.

My position is that instead of attempting to pile-on additional privileges to the Sport Pilot certificate endlessly, I'd rather see "DL in lieu of medical" applicable to the Private Pilot certificate. To me, this seems like a more elegant solution.

But should that never come to pass, like I said before: "if someday IFR becomes a reality for Sport Pilots (and Private-or-higher exercising Sport Pilot privileges), I wouldn't be mad about it."

Last edited:
New here, many of you seem very excited about this rule. Trying to understand it. What are the differences between a Sport pilot and private license or aircraft other than medical? Also, if I understand correctly this only applies to license holders with medical before 2006. After that a 3rd class is required.

What are the differences between a Sport pilot and private license or aircraft other than medical?

An excellent answer to your question at the EAA link below.

Also, if I understand correctly this only applies to license holders with medical before 2006. After that a 3rd class is required.

I think you're getting confused between different (albeit inter-related) topics. The reference to 2006 implies that you're talking about BasicMed, rather than MOSAIC overall.

To be eligible for BasicMed, you must have held a valid medical certificate on-or-after July 14, 2006. For Private Pilot, it's simply a slightly-relaxed alternative to a medical certificate. BasicMed is basically irrelevant to Sport Pilots at present, as if you're eligible for BasicMed, you're likely to already have a Private Pilot certificate.

Last edited:
Your right it is confusing. Right now, I am in the information gathering stage for pilot training. Some here suggested not attempting a 3rd class in case I fail, then a sport license isn't an option. Will any of this apply to me?

Your right it is confusing. Right now, I am in the information gathering stage for pilot training. Some here suggested not attempting a 3rd class in case I fail, then a sport license isn't an option. Will any of this apply to me?
If you attempt and fail then you are locked out of the sport pilot option.
Mosaic (as it is proposed) significantly expands the range of aircraft that can be flown under the sport pilot rules - without a third class or basic med.

If you elect the sport pilot route, you will be able to fly stuff up to about a 172 (model dependant) but only carry one passenger, not at night, and a few more details.

thankyou, have a meeting set up Monday with a CFI and flight. Will probably get many questions answered then.

Adding a new resource to help digest the 300+ page MOSAIC from Flying mag.

Flying Mag MOSAIC article

And to repeat a comment in the article:
  • Keep your remarks to a purpose; ask for something.
  • Make specific requests.
  • Reference language when changes are needed.
  • Be constructive; no ranting.
  • Be original; use your own words.
To see MOSAIC comments already made, use this link.

Back