Just came back from the intro flight....Disappointing results.

Would you rather solve a quadratic equation or correct others' grammar on Internet forums?

I rather solve a quadratic equation, I would feel more accomplished. Correcting grammar on an internet forum IMO is just an ego play, everyone makes mistakes, just some don't admit it!

I rather solve a quadratic equation, I would feel more accomplished. Correcting grammar on an internet forum IMO is just an ego play, everyone makes mistakes, just some don't admit it!

you'll make a fine pilot! :thumbsup: ;)

Thanks for that!

I knew aircraft parts are expensive but I didn't know it was THAT bad...wow.

Couldn't you find a used part like that especially due to the fact it's only a casing?

I wish it worked like that.

That was not the best example. I fly an oddball plane and that was an oddball plane specific part required to go to the manufacturer to get.

Here is a good example. I want to add this to the plane. $1500
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/jpi-edm700-4c.html

3 quotes to install. So far the lowest is $6500

We are looking to get another plane with longer legs and more speed. Knowing what we know now Avionics installed in the plane are now a much bigger selling point.

I should have been an avionics guy. Then I would be able to afford this stuff.

$6,500 to install an engine monitor? Wow.

Even if it's $5,000 to install and $1,500 for the monitor...Wow.

I bought and installed a UBG-16 in my 182 right after I bought the plane back in 2004. I have 6 CHT, 6 EGT, Carb Temp, Oil Press, Oil Temp, & Voltage.

I installed everything in a weekend (2 long days, probably 18 to 20 hours total but that counts beer breaks). An A&P IA buddy oversaw, inspected and signed off on the work.

10 years later everything's still working well. The oil pressure sending unit was replaced once. The engine monitor itself was replaced in '08 due to a leaking display. EI replaced it under warranty even though it was two or three years out of warranty at the time (you can't beat EI's customer service, especially considering some of the horror stories I've heard about JPI's customer service).

Do those shops keep cases of Vaseline at the front desk?

Is there something I'm missing?

I wish it worked like that.

That was not the best example. I fly an oddball plane and that was an oddball plane specific part required to go to the manufacturer to get.

We are looking to get another plane with longer legs and more speed. Knowing what we know now Avionics installed in the plane are now a much bigger selling point.

I should have been an avionics guy. Then I would be able to afford this stuff.

Sorry for the thread drift here but...

Ouch!!

Bryan, I definitely agree that planes are expensive to own and operate but $6500 just to install a 4 cyl EDM700 or UBG16 (or Insight G3) is out of the ball park too high! Even if you figured 20 hrs of labor for the installation (which is probably on the high side) at $75/hr that's $1500 for the install. $6500 is just plain laughable (and it won't be the customer that's laughing!!)

So I let the cat out of the bag about my age. How old are you Matt?

Old enough to predict the weather with my knees. I'm still a pup in my mid-fifties.

Auny Peggy made a good point. It's common to take more hours the older you are. It's not a bad thing, older students tend to take their time and let things soak in, where younger students are typically more eager to move on to the next lesson.

I heard someone say "If you can learn to ride a bike, you can learn to fly a plane." But, just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Some people just don't have the ability to think their way out of a paper bag.

Old enough to predict the weather with my knees. I'm still a pup in my mid-fifties.

Auny Peggy made a good point. It's common to take more hours the older you are. It's not a bad thing, older students tend to take their time and let things soak in, where younger students are typically more eager to move on to the next lesson.

I heard someone say "If you can learn to ride a bike, you can learn to fly a plane." But, just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Some people just don't have the ability to think their way out of a paper bag.

But who gets to decide whether someone SHOULD be able to learn to fly? If they can pass the min requirements (3rd class physical, knowledge test, practical test, etc) then who or what is stopping them (except their wife, husband or bank account :D).

Seriously folks, learning to fly at the VFR Private Pilot level, flying 2 or 4 seat aircraft, is NOT that difficult to do. Yes it takes, for most folks, acquiring a whole lot of new skills and knowledge. But with time, dedication and discipline (and fair amount of play money) earning the PP certificate can be within reach of a lot of folks.

Hi Folks, I'm also in the Tampa Bay area and beginning to look again at finding a flight schools in the area. Has anybody had good or bad experiences with PCM in Plant city?

They seem to have the best rental rates that I've found so far... $75/Hr wet+fuel surcharge for their C152s. I was told that the fuel surcharge is aprx $10/hr. So that still makes the plane in the $85 to $90 per hour range plus I think their instruction is $40/hr.

Also, if I recall correctly, their discovery flights are only $50.00

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, about 10 years ago now, I was training out of KJOT, in Joliet, IL... with about 12 hours logged when I had to quit. The plane I was borrowing for my instruction was determined to need a new engine during it's annual.... of course Murphy came to town and my wifes car also needed to be repaired... money had to come from my training fund efectively wiping it out :mad2: So here I am years later, after a move to FL looking to getting back in the air again. :D Effectively starting over again... I hope that my previous experience will revive itself and make the learning curve a bit shallower this time around.

Hi Folks, I'm also in the Tampa Bay area and beginning to look again at finding a flight schools in the area. Has anybody had good or bad experiences with PCM in Plant city?

They seem to have the best rental rates that I've found so far... $75/Hr wet+fuel surcharge for their C152s. I was told that the fuel surcharge is aprx $10/hr. So that still makes the plane in the $85 to $90 per hour range plus I think their instruction is $40/hr.

Have you looked into Clearwater air park?

Hi Ron, No I have not.... yet. I presume you have had good experience there?

Since I live in Tampa, I've kinda strayed from that side of the bay for a few reasons... 1) just so I don't have to drive across the bay as often and 2) quite frankly I'm VERY nervous to fly over Pinellas county... it is so densely packed that there are very few places to put down in an emergency... not something that I really want to deal with (yet) as a low time pilot.

Threadjack:

All the avionics shops are quoting me 40+ hours to install.
Would love tips on how to get this done cheaper.

:lol:Just curious, Who is Threadjack? Can't find any such name in the member logs? hahaha lol

Threadjack:

All the avionics shops are quoting me 40+ hours to install.
Would love tips on how to get this done cheaper.

Bryan, 40 hrs is nuts unless there is something peculiar about your plane that requires much more time than normal (and that's probably not the case). You will have 4 CHT probes, 4 EGT probes at a minimum. If you add fuel monitoring (assuming you purchased the fuel transducer from JPI) they will need to install the fuel transducer, which will probably mean you buying a new fuel line. Even if you add oil pressure, temp, carb temp and voltage it shouldn't take much more than 20 hrs to install. But even at 40 hrs if they charged $100/hr for labor (which is on the high end) that's still only $4k for an install...along way from $6500. Something just doesn't add up with that quote!

Maybe keep searching for a shop that will do it for less (and it doesn't have to be an avionics shop). If that doesn't work then your best bet might be to find and IA that will help you install it in your hangar and sign it off for you. If you did that you should be able to do it for maybe $1500.

In any case, a digital engine monitor and fuel flow are two of the best investments a guy (or gal) can make in their plane!

End of threadjack :D

That is EXACTLY How I am. I like to understand things fully before moving on. Training will probably be more expensive then average but hey, I knew flying was going to be expensive. I know for sure it's rewarding.

Mid 50's

Hopefully, I will get there and have lots of flying stories to tell....Most pilots do!

Also, if I recall correctly, their discovery flights are only $50.00

That is not a bad price, a bit far from where I live, (1 Hour away) but something to consider.

Pinellas County is pretty much an island with the Gulf on one side and the Bay on the other why would you be afraid to fly there? Worst case you can ditch in the water and there are quite a few airports you can land, (KPIE, KSPG and KCLW). I'm considering on trying out Atlas aviation on Davis island.

To get started, the ONLY gauges you care about are the airspeed indicator and the altimeter.

Hell flying VFR those are the only two I use now even after passing the checkride:)

Ok ok, the DG too.

That is not a bad price, a bit far from where I live, (1 Hour away) but something to consider.

Pinellas County is pretty much an island with the Gulf on one side and the Bay on the other why would you be afraid to fly there? Worst case you can ditch in the water and there are quite a few airports you can land, (KPIE, KSPG and KCLW). I'm considering on trying out Atlas aviation on Davis island.

It's about 45 Minutes from where I live... works for me. Maybe it's the midwest in me (I'm a transplant from the Chicago suburbs) so I think I'd be more comfortable learning over an area with plenty of open land where I could put down a plane without wrecking it... yeah, water landings present their own challenge and that pretty much hoses the plane too... I wouldn't intend to never fly over congested areas (not feasable or realistic), but it does play a part of my risk mitigation strategies.... don't want to put myself in that situation without first getting some good flying time under my belt.

Back