Just bought Brightline B10 Classic FLEX System Bag

That is an awesome bag... I'm glad I don't have one, I'd put my back out...:rofl:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085M17CA

Anyone else have one? Seems like an awesome bag.

Looks nice. But how much stuff do you really need to haul around?

Of late, I have a new found appreciation for older planes that have a Johnson bar to operate the flaps. No room for a big flight bag between the seats in those planes.

Like I said, it looks really nice, but I'm kind of into the less is more concept these days - a military surplus kneeboard, two pencils, a few sectionals, a couple of flashlights and an E-6B and I'm good to go.

That is an awesome bag... I'm glad I don't have one, I'd put my back out...:rofl:

lol, well I have a lot of crap in the POS that came with the Jeppesen kit, so it will be nice to have the pockets.

For those that don't know about this bag, here is a video on it (no, I don't work form them :D)

lol, well I have a lot of crap in the POS that came with the Jeppesen kit, so it will be nice to have the pockets.

For those that don't know about this bag, here is a video on it (no, I don't work form them :D)

Unless that one big compartment includes a parachute, I'll pass.

Less is more. Learn and believe.

But showing up at the rental desk with that bag and one of the Sporty's Goatskin WWII B-17 crew jackets would definitely turn heads.

Looks nice. But how much stuff do you really need to haul around?

Right now, I need my headset, iPad, Ram Mount for the iPad, Stratus ADS-B, and all the common stuff anyone else would have (phone, keys, wallet, charts, medical, yada yada yada).

If I owned a plane, a lot of that would stay in the plane, and I would not need so much bag.

Right now, I need my headset, iPad, Ram Mount for the iPad, Stratus ADS-B, and all the common stuff anyone else would have (phone, keys, wallet, charts, medical, yada yada yada).

If I owned a plane, a lot of that would stay in the plane, and I would not need so much bag.

Just so you know, up until the mid-1980s most people actually heard radio calls from the speaker in the top of the cabin. There used to be a microphone mounted somewhere toward the middle of the cabin, down low near the trim wheel, too. Yeah, it's pretty horrific having to think about picking up a microphone from the clip so you can announce your pattern calls, but you know, we all did it and lived...

Was it a hearing-health-friendly environment? No! But you don't need a $1,100 Bose headset, an I-Pad or any of that other effluvia to effectively pilot a light GA aircraft.

Edit -

Piper and Cessna built about a gazillion aircraft that had no electrical systems, and therefore had no radios or lights or Ipads or personal massagers. Some airplanes even required someone to spin the prop manually to start the engine!

Last edited:
Just so you know, up until the mid-1980s most people actually heard radio calls from the speaker in the top of the cabin. There used to be a microphone mounted somewhere toward the middle of the cabin, down low near the trim wheel, too. Yeah, it's pretty horrific having to think about picking up a microphone from the clip so you can announce your pattern calls, but you know, we all did it and lived...

Was it a hearing-health-friendly environment? No! But you don't need a $1,100 Bose headset, an I-Pad or any of that other effluvia to effectively pilot a light GA aircraft.

Thanks for the history lesson. :)

People also died a lot more back then.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/stats/safety.html

Do I NEED something that will give me in flight weather, and help me better predict fuel usage? No. But being I love tech, fly for fun, and adding the tech to flying actually helps make things safer, why the hell not? :)

Last edited:

Indeed, that is one of the great perks of having a plane, especially at the end of a 13hr flying day. I just hang my headset on the yoke, climb out and come back some time later to clean up.

Thanks for the history lesson. :)

People also died a lot more back then.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/stats/safety.html

Do I NEED something that will give me in flight weather, and help me better predict fuel usage? No. But being I love tech, fly for fun, and adding the tech to flying actually helps make things safer, why the hell not? :)

Because it's useful to know the airplane needs the pilot less than the pilot needs the bag full of goodies, that's why.

Before you spend a bunch of money on bag-filling stuff, how about buying a copy of "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche?

You're probably too young to know who he was, but the $20 you spend on his book would pay off much more than your horsey attitude about how you need a fancy-bag and your IPod to leave Mother Earth.

Just saying...

Edit -

Piper and Cessna built about a gazillion aircraft that had no electrical systems, and therefore had no radios or lights or Ipads or personal massagers. Some airplanes even required someone to spin the prop manually to start the engine!

My great Uncle flew in WWII, he got to take home his P-51 for a pittance, he also gave me my first ride and stick time in a 206 on floats when I was 4. When I told him I had started flying his first words to me were "Good, get the best head set you can and always wear them." He's got hearing aids in both ears and you still have to shout at him to have a conversation.:( The only thing I've flown where I was comfortable taking off my headset was a 421. I agree you don't need $1100 Bose, any good ANR set will do as will any in ear such as Clarity Aloft (which I really like but my mic boom broke, super comfy though), Halo or Lightspeed Mach 1s. I have the LS Zulus I use and a set of Sierras for the right seat as well as 3 cheaper pairs for the back. I don't recommend passive sets because the clamping pressures required to make them work well are painful after a while, at least to me.

My great Uncle flew in WWII, he got to take home his P-51 for a pittance, he also gave me my first ride and stick time in a 206 on floats when I was 4. When I told him I had started flying his first words to me were "Good, get the best head set you can and always wear them." He's got hearing aids in both ears and you still have to shout at him to have a conversation.:( The only thing I've flown where I was comfortable taking off my headset was a 421. I agree you don't need $1100 Bose, any good ANR set will do as will any in ear such as Clarity Aloft (which I really like but my mic boom broke, super comfy though), Halo or Lightspeed Mach 1s. I have the LS Zulus I use and a set of Sierras for the right seat as well as 3 cheaper pairs for the back. I don't recommend passive sets because the clamping pressures required to make them work well are painful after a while, at least to me.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think headsets are a great thing. I guess I let Mrs. Mafoo chap my backside when I didn't automatically endorse her mega pilot bag as the mostest usefulnest pilot thing ever and she got all smacky.

My bad.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think headsets are a great thing. I guess I let Mrs. Mafoo chap my backside when I didn't automatically endorse her mega pilot bag as the mostest usefulnest pilot thing ever and she got all smacky.

My bad.

My flight bag is half the size of my sisters purse.;) The grocery sack I take with me however...:eek::lol:

Because it's useful to know the airplane needs the pilot less than the pilot needs the bag full of goodies, that's why.

Before you spend a bunch of money on bag-filling stuff, how about buying a copy of "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche?

You're probably too young to know who he was, but the $20 you spend on his book would pay off much more than your horsey attitude about how you need a fancy-bag and your IPod to leave Mother Earth.

Just saying...

What a tired argument. Because I don't do it like they did in the old days, I must be someone who could care less about understanding how to fly a plane. You came in here with the atitude. I was just excited about buying some luggage.

I drive a car with airbags, antilock breaks, power assisted seat belts, and bluetooth. I must not care to learn how to drive ether.

I have spent countless hours studying, training in simulators, talking to people here on this forum, talking to mechanics at the flight school, asking my CFI a thousand questions, and following his instruction intently.

Today was my first solo. One I was able to do confidently with only 10.4 hours of flight time. It would have been 9 if the weather was better yesterday. I have done well, because of the hundreds of hours I dedicated to it before I climbed into a plane, and the seriousness I have committed to my education.

I reward myself by purchasing a bag, and one of the last people I hear from before I head off to bed on this day that I should remember forever, is someone telling me I am a just a kid who cares more about what he owns as opposed to what he knows.

You might want to take the time to learn more about who you're talking to, and what they are all about, before you make blanket statements about them.

Just saying...

P.S. I was born in the 60's.

The attitude is pretty goofy. I know a lot of deaf pilots who can't hear **** who flew without a simple headset. And yes, I've flown with only a speaker and a mic. It's fine. Just noisy.

I have the original Brightline. I'm slightly miffed that their new stuff isn't compatible with the old. Typical. Abandon the original customer base that made you successful.

But that said, the smaller bag is great. Holds two headsets, the usual flashlights, and the iPad along with some local charts. Very light if you don't stuff every dang open spot full.

Enjoy your bag. I suspect you'll downsize it a bit eventually.

One CFI friend carries that much stuff but only in a wheelie bag to do ground work. His flight gear is a tiny headset bag. Heh.

Whatever floats your boat. Just go fly and post photos, videos, and stories. :)

The attitude is pretty goofy. I know a lot of deaf pilots who can't hear **** who flew without a simple headset. And yes, I've flown with only a speaker and a mic. It's fine. Just noisy.

Yea. I am sure Mr. Langewiesche would have used every piece of safety equipment we have today, if we had it available to him.

He would have used in flight weather, and promoted it, as opposed to telling people they just aren't man enough to fly because people before them didn't have it.

But all of us here aren't as wise as Wolfgang Langewiesche, it seems.

What a tired argument. Because I don't do it like they did in the old days, I must be someone who could care less about understanding how to fly a plane. You came in here with the atitude. I was just excited about buying some luggage.

Your luggage doesn't fly the plane. I really don't care what you do. I tried to point out that airplanes fly the same as they have since about 1910. If you want to get all boofooed about that, fine with me.

I drive a car with airbags, antilock breaks, power assisted seat belts, and bluetooth. I must not care to learn how to drive ether.
Reversion to the mean isn't really something to brag about, either. If you can't fly a contemporary aircraft without a big suitcase, an Ipad, a fancy headset, and so on, you're missing the point. One more time: The aircraft you're flying doesn't care what you take on board. Any fleshbag can start the engine, set a little nose-up trim and advance the throttle. Once you do that, the airplane doesn't really need you to fly.

I reward myself by purchasing a bag, and one of the last people I hear from before I head off to bed on this day that I should remember forever, is someone telling me I am a just a kid who cares more about what he owns as opposed to what he knows.
I've never really been into personal validation by luggage, but do what you need to do.

Jeez Burt. Just say, "Nice bag. Go fly."

Cranky much? ;)

Cranky a lot!

But I'll bet my tube of Preparation-H weighs a lot less than that bag! Or an I-pad, even!

Whatever happened to students actually learning to fly? Or calling FSS with a dial phone, dammit?

How about walking into the FSS grabbing a cup of their coffee and sitting down with the briefer live? There are few of the 'old ways' that were actually better, that was one of them and I miss it because you got to talk to a meteorologist familiar with the region. Speakers overhead sucked balls and not in a friendly cuddly 'oo thats nice' way. I do still have a carbon mic in the pouch on the side. I fly pilotage with nothing but a chart just fine, but damned GPS sure can save a bunch of gas if it never saves your life. The reality is except for some arcane simple electronics, a student has more to learn now than ever. Just learning the 430 radio and how to use it takes twice as long as learning pilotage and ded reckoning combined, and you still have to learn VOR tricks. There are more failure modes to deal with and like any piece of technology that is designed to save you, the add three ways to kill you. You think there is no reason that 50 years ago the mean time to solo was 5hrs and now it's 15? Nothing has gotten simpler, it has all become more complex.

Last edited:
How about walking into the FSS grabbing a cup of their coffee and sitting down with the briefer live?

Yes that was nice. Miss that.

Automation and tech was definitely not the right solution for this human job function.

Now I usually talk to a briefer in Phoenix. They're nice and can read weather maps as well as I, but are utterly clueless about mountains and mountain weather.

Try using RCOs to check in with FSS for letting them know where you've made it to on a long mountain cross-country too. Clueless. "Did you need anything else?" No asshat, I want you to note that if someone has to come looking for me, I'm past Hagerman Pass!

Useless. Probably buy a Spot.

Denver FSS used to have a frigging log for folks running around in the rocks. And briefers who knew how to use it, and why you were calling.

Mine is the classic with the IMC CLUB logo. It does make me wonder why Brightline didn't make the new line compatible. I might have bought a couple of the add-ins. And when this dies, I probably won't replace it with another Brightline because of that.
The basic carry includes two headsets, maps, logbook, and a couple of flashlights. There's also a few sick sacks. Still, I have a number of empty pockets, one gets the car keys.
I carry a duffle with the GPS, yoke mount, a couple of additional headsets, kneepad, and AFD. More crap than I use on each flight but you have to carry the stuff you might use plus all the stuff you do use.

They found the zippers needed some attention to detail. If you look at the new vs old , you will see the difference.

Sent from my iPhone
using Tapatalk

How about walking into the FSS grabbing a cup of their coffee and sitting down with the briefer live? There are few of the 'old ways' that were actually better, that was one of them and I miss it because you got to talk to a meteorologist familiar with the region. Speakers overhead sucked balls and not in a friendly cuddly 'oo thats nice' way. I do still have a carbon mic in the pouch on the side. I fly pilotage with nothing but a chart just fine, but damned GPS sure can save a bunch of gas if it never saves your life. The reality is except for some arcane simple electronics, a student has more to learn now than ever. Just learning the 430 radio and how to use it takes twice as long as learning pilotage and ded reckoning combined, and you still have to learn VOR tricks. There are more failure modes to deal with and like any piece of technology that is designed to save you, the add three ways to kill you. You think there is no reason that 50 years ago the mean time to solo was 5hrs and now it's 15? Nothing has gotten simpler, it has all become more complex.

Thanks for this.

Also, I have yet to fly with my iPad in the plane. Not because I am not allowed, but because I wish to learn how to fly without it.

That being said, you're an idiot if you think less situational awareness while in an aircraft makes you a better pilot.

Thankfully we only have one of those in this thread, and that's why the death rate in aircraft is as low as it's ever been.

That, and people seem to keep learning how to fly planes just as well as they used to.

Back