Just bought a S3...now Apple won?

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
I honestly didn't know much about the lawsuit going on. Well I needed a new phone because I have to turn my work BB in while I'm switching jobs. I got a Samsung S3 and now there is talk that the Android market might not work as well as they do now. I'm honestly having buyers remorse because I would have liked to see how this all played out before learning another phone. Any thoughts?

They will appeal, of course, but the downside is that Apples goal is not to license the technology, but rather to monopolize it. In many of these patent infringement cases the goal is to get a piece of the pie. In this case it is to own the whole pie. I like apples products, but I believe competition makes the products better.

My thought exactly. That sets a very bad precedent.

Reuters_Patent_Chart.jpg

Unless lawyers start making mobile devices... I'm not sure anyone is going to win.

Yeah, it's not really an Apple problem... more like an overall system problem.

Reuters_Patent_Chart.jpg

Unless lawyers start making mobile devices... I'm not sure anyone is going to win.

Actually the chart shows who will win, Microsoft, they are doing licensing deals, looking at the products that are contested in the licensing deals and building better. With the Win8 tablets that will actually be able to replace your laptop rather than just be another augmentation/entertainment device, they will take the market away from those devices.

Actually the chart shows who will win, Microsoft. They are not wasting money on litigation, they are just doing licensing deals, looking at the products that are contested in the licensing deals and building better. With the Win8 tablets that will actually be able to replace your laptop rather than just be another augmentation/entertainment device, they will take the market away from those devices.

Maybe, but as a Microsoft Gold partner, I have been hearing the mobile retoric for about 4 years with little progress. Win 8 certainly has an edge with business apps, though.

Maybe, but as a Microsoft Gold partner, I have been hearing the mobile retoric for about 4 years with little progress. Win 8 certainly has an edge with business apps, though.

I've been doing Windows Moblie/CE development for 9 years now, still waiting for it to pay off.

I sure wouldn't put my money on Microsoft. I'll try and remember to come back to this thread in about 5 years and we'll see if Henning's forecast was correct.

I've been doing Windows Moblie/CE development for 9 years now, still waiting for it to pay off.

I had MS CE on my first few 'smart phones', the Siemens Pocket PC phone editions and seriously, I preferred them software wise to the iPhone and Android. They did what I needed and let me work in Word and Excel right there on my phone and email in my reports and billing before I ever hit the dock so my check would be waiting in its spot even if I pulled in at 2am. Neither the iPhone nor Android give me that ability.

I honestly didn't know much about the lawsuit going on. Well I needed a new phone because I have to turn my work BB in while I'm switching jobs. I got a Samsung S3 and now there is talk that the Android market might not work as well as they do now. I'm honestly having buyers remorse because I would have liked to see how this all played out before learning another phone. Any thoughts?

I wouldnt worry about it. Enjoy your phone.

I had MS CE on my first few 'smart phones', the Siemens Pocket PC phone editions and seriously, I preferred them software wise to the iPhone and Android. They did what I needed and let me work in Word and Excel right there on my phone and email in my reports and billing before I ever hit the dock so my check would be waiting in its spot even if I pulled in at 2am. Neither the iPhone nor Android give me that ability.
Just kick out invoices using: http://www.freshbooks.com/ step out of 1995 Henning :)

Just kick out invoices using: http://www.freshbooks.com/ step out of 1995 Henning :)

Not when I'm required to use Excel and Word by the company... All the fluff is cool if you're independent, but for most of us shlubs that do work for big businesses, they still require the stuff in 1995 format because that's what they use and it's not changing soon.

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about it. Enjoy your phone.

Enjoying it will not be a problem. Having a smart phone saved my bacon more than on once. I am honestly not a teckie but I like using the technology to make my job easier (I sure like 99% of everyone else).

Only 4??! LOL... longer than that.

I heard they had to pull back completely their MSSQL Server 2012 for all the god-awful bugs it had in beta.

They're not doing so hot on releases that are functional at beta release, or even desirable.

No one's particularly impressed with the UI on Win8... mainly it's because the computer no longer helps the user maintain context... which is a huge mistake in a multi-tasking GUI environment...

http://news.yahoo.com/ui-expert-windows-users-hate-windows-8-experience-215556586.html

http://www.riagenic.com/archives/720

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/mar/05/windows-8-desktop-experience

Only 4??! LOL... longer than that.

I heard they had to pull back completely their MSSQL Server 2012 for all the god-awful bugs it had in beta.

They're not doing so hot on releases that are functional at beta release, or even desirable.

No one's particularly impressed with the UI on Win8... mainly it's because the computer no longer helps the user maintain context... which is a huge mistake in a multi-tasking GUI environment...

http://news.yahoo.com/ui-expert-windows-users-hate-windows-8-experience-215556586.html

http://www.riagenic.com/archives/720

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/mar/05/windows-8-desktop-experience

I am refering to, in particular, where mobile technology has been a major focus at the World Wide Partner Conference. There have been various mobile campaigns that we have been involved with over the years. And I have owned many CE devices.

Well, duh... the Slate is basically them threatening their partners with "We'll build our own products, just like Apple does, if you slackers don't start making us tablets! (Please no one notice that the demo gear doesn't power up, none of the Press is allowed to hold or touch it, and it's pretty much just a dead plastic slab.)"

They will appeal, of course, but the downside is that Apples goal is not to license the technology, but rather to monopolize it. In many of these patent infringement cases the goal is to get a piece of the pie. In this case it is to own the whole pie. I like apples products, but I believe competition makes the products better.

If that were true, why did Apple license iPad patents to Microsoft for the Surface tablet?

This is really cut and dried. If you don't want to infringe on someone else's patent, invent your own stuff that doesn't look like and behave exactly like someone else's patented stuff, or license the patents you want to use.

Google has basically admitted that they ripped off some of Apple's features by trying to argue that some of those features are so ubiquitous now that the patents in essence shouldn't be enforceable. Threatening an inventor's business by ripping off his popular features and incorporating them into your own cheap knockoffs will result in a loss, not an increase, of innovation and consumer choice.

JKG

If that were true, why did Apple license iPad patents to Microsoft for the Surface tablet?

This is really cut and dried. If you don't want to infringe on someone else's patent, invent your own stuff that doesn't look like and behave exactly like someone else's patented stuff, or license the patents you want to use.

Google has basically admitted that they ripped off some of Apple's features by trying to argue that some of those features are so ubiquitous now that the patents in essence shouldn't be enforceable. Threatening an inventor's business by ripping off his popular features and incorporating them into your own cheap knockoffs will result in a loss, not an increase, of innovation and consumer choice.

JKG

Software patents should die a horrible death as soon as possible. There is no need for them at all in any scenario anywhere. Copyrighting code is enough protection for anyone.

Software patents should die a horrible death as soon as possible. There is no need for them at all in any scenario anywhere. Copyrighting code is enough protection for anyone.

Copyrighting does not protect design or behaviors. Just because someone invents a great new way (or better way) of doing something doesn't mean that everyone else should be able to copy it at will.

JKG

Copyrighting does not protect design or behaviors. Just because someone invents a great new way (or better way) of doing something doesn't mean that everyone else should be able to copy it at will.

JKG

So long as you don't copy/paste code or reverse engineer the binaries that I use to put food on the table, me and you don't have a problem. Copy my design and behaviors if you want, good luck, may the best man win.

> why did Apple license iPad patents to Microsoft for the Surface tablet?

It was a cross-licensing deal. Much bigger than iPhone -> Surface.

The smartphone builders had a choice:

1) Do nothing, until it is too late: RIM, Motorola, Nokia

2) Do something/innovate, takes years.
MS, 3 years late - Maybe longer.
Google, Arguable - succeed, years later.
Dell, fail.
HP fail.
Palm: Fail.

3) Copy/Steal: Samsung

Note: Steve Jobs said, "Good artists copy. Great artists steal"

Last edited:
Vapor ware is ALWAYS better than actual delivered products. Always has been and always will.

Cheers

Bad precedent?

What if you designed and invented something, copyrighted it. Then your neighbor starts making the same product and takes revenue from you?

But it is more competition, right?

That was Apples technology that they designed and invented.

My thought exactly. That sets a very bad precedent.

Bad precedent?

What if you designed and invented something, copyrighted it. Then your neighbor starts making the same product and takes revenue from you?

But it is more competition, right?

That was Apples technology that they designed and invented.

Apple can't complain about stealing because Job's stole the GUI lock stock and barrel.

This video is an interesting interview with the jury foreman. BTW, the patent he references and says he could see how it was defensible is a Samsung patent. Like a lot of lawsuits, there is often more than meets the eye of the casual observer. I found his comments on the Google email asking Samsung to make changes very telling.

Huh? Do you understand what rational means?

I am truly amazed. According to you, apples = zebras.

Apple can't complain about stealing because Job's stole the GUI lock stock and barrel.

Xerox could have sued. They didn't. Must have been a reason.

The weren't in competition, Xerox doesn't make computers, they were making a simpler copier interface? That would be my guess. They may have given it to him and the legends are false.:dunno:

Xerox was indeed in the computer business in that timeframe, competing in the office automation space.

In that timeframe, a lot of the innovation and inspiration was standing on the shoulders of those who got there before you. Today, it is fashionable to stand on their toes.

The weren't in competition, Xerox doesn't make computers, they were making a simpler copier interface? That would be my guess. They may have given it to him and the legends are false.:dunno:
Actually software patents didn't exist then....

Oh, and I'm of the opinion that many of Apples patents are absurdly obvious and should never have been granted. The video also suggest some of them were not developed by Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd-dqUuvLk4&feature=player_detailpage#t=307s

> many of Apples patents are absurdly obvious and should never have been granted.

+1

Ditto for most^H^H^H^Hall software patents.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember that Samsung (and to a lesser extent Apple, too) has a market that is much greater than the US. Even if Apple is ultimately successful after appeals I doubt it will put much of a glitch in to Samsung's overall sales and support of the device.

Back