Just another pilot

...he sure would enjoy Gaston's...

Enjoyed the video! Thanks. Ford seems to be someone you could sit down and talk to without being constantly reminded that he is a "movie star". In other words, just another nice person at the airport.

Enjoyed the video! Thanks. Ford seems to be someone you could sit down and talk to without being constantly reminded that he is a "movie star". In other words, just another nice person at the airport.
Depends on how you meet him. When I worked for EAA a few years ago he was at AirVenture and was a total jerk to the staff, although admittedly part of that impression was driven by his "people" and Calista. Then he went on a backwoods trip organized by Husky and a colleague who went as well reported he was a good joe -- away from the crowds. Any celebrity has to be standoffish in crowds, someone of his fame even more so, which I hope excuses his AirVenture behavior.

I didn't hear about the Airventure stuff, but I did read several reports on the backwoods trip. Unless you actually know someone, you can only go on the reports of others. I certainly don't know him. It is easy to see how celeb's can go off the deep end the way the media and general public worship them.

I didn't hear about the Airventure stuff, but I did read several reports on the backwoods trip. Unless you actually know someone, you can only go on the reports of others. I certainly don't know him. It is easy to see how celeb's can go off the deep end the way the media and general public worship them.

I can personally vouge for Ted Dansen (and his wife). He's kind of a schmuck to the other passengers when they try to take his picture, but I had him on one of my flights to or from La Guardia/Martha's Vineyard seven or eight times this summer. After the third flight he remembered me by name and would stand outside the plane with me while we were boarding and deplaneing and ask questions about the various planes on the ramp or various parts of our plane. Super cool guy, as long as you treat him like any other person in the airport.

yea an invite to Gastons would be pretty nice.

yea an invite to Gastons would be pretty nice.
So draft a letter we can then send around for everyone to sign and mail it to his agent:

United Talent Agency
9560 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 500
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Also it could probably be sent to him care of Young Eagles at EAA. Or even to the address where he registers his Beaver:

GBH AVIATION
C/O MURPHY & KRESS INC
2401 MAIN ST
Los Angeles, CA 90405-3515

It would eventually get to him. So start today!!

So draft a letter we can then send around for everyone to sign and mail it to his agent:

United Talent Agency
9560 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 500
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Also it could probably be sent to him care of Young Eagles at EAA. Or even to the address where he registers his Beaver:

GBH AVIATION
C/O MURPHY & KRESS INC
2401 MAIN ST
Los Angeles, CA 90405-3515

It would eventually get to him. So start today!!
May want to invite him to join POA too...

I could never figure out why some folks act like total stupendous asses when they are around celeb's. Seems like a down to earth joe but then again a movie is a movie. I'd be just as happy ... no proably happier to sit and chew the fat with the likes of Spike,Anthony, Ed etc.

I could never figure out why some folks act like total stupendous asses when they are around celeb's. Seems like a down to earth joe but then again a movie is a movie. I'd be just as happy ... no proably happier to sit and chew the fat with the likes of Spike,Anthony, Ed etc.

Yabut... I bet that, if you could ask him in a quiet moment, Mr. Ford would probably like to sit and chew the fat with a bunch of pilot folks, too... and i bet he'd like an IAR ride, and maybe a spin in the 195... all this, so long as he was able to do so without a raft of ass-kissing hero-worship movie-star stuff. I certainly cannot imagine what a drag it must be to have to endure being "on" all the time, based purely upon having been recognized as a public person.

He as much as says that in the video, and I think it's a sincere sentiment.

Hey, there is a huge diversity of people showing up at our fly-ins, diversity of every kind, but as long as you are not a jerk, every conversation is for every person present... and enjoyably so.

Hey, there is a huge diversity of people showing up at our fly-ins, diversity of every kind, but as long as you are not a jerk, every conversation is for every person present... and enjoyably so.
GASP! You mean ...

doctors socializing with lawyers?
Democrats and Republicans?
Cats and dogs?

Oh, the horror!!!!!!

plus theres high wings and low wings!
Tail draggers and tricycle gear - round engine, flat engine and glider pilots - men and girls - beer drinkers, wine drinkers and teatotalers

How can that be?

Will dogs be lovin' cats next?

Tail draggers and tricycle gear - round engine, flat engine and glider pilots - men and girls - beer drinkers, wine drinkers and teatotalers...
?

...elephants making love to a pig.

Leave it to Ed to come up with a mental picture that will leave one emotionally scarred for years...

Pete

Back in 1987, I lived in Jackson Hole for that year. I worked at the Valley Shop office supply store. Harrison Ford came in on occasion to get items he used in woodworking. I never got the chance to meet him but others said he was always very kind but quiet. I never knew where he lived while there but I'm sure it would have been fun to hang around him and an airplane.

I saw a few faces around there but the only person I got to talk with any amount was former Interior Secretary, James Watt. While many thought he was off his rocker, he and wife were very kind and humble folks. I repaired an IBM Selectric for him. With his resources, you'd think he'd have used more even at that time in technology.

May want to invite him to join POA too...
How do you know he isn't on this board? If I were him, I doubt I'd use my real name on a public forum like this. Pretty sure, though, that he hasn't shown up to any of our get-togethers!

His last line says it all, though: "I'm just darned lucky"

Actually, one of the CEO of the Cockpit stories that I've been catching up on talks about a late-night bull session at Sun N Fun with several people, including an unnamed actor. He ended the article by saying that it was time to go see the movie that night, one that starred the actor from their bull session - something about some terrorists hijacking Air Force One. :)

I'd love to be able to meet him. There's a signed picture of him up at the restaurant at a local airport.

Now that I'm home with high speed access, I finally got to see the film. That's awesome. Sure, he's a famous actor. But, the guy is more pilot than he'll ever be actor.

As he began telling the story about his first solo, he cracks a smile. He does it again when he thinks about how badly he must have scared his instructor.

Later, he cracks another at the "overchallenge" remark. We all remember some particular moment like that. Ya think to yourself, "Damn, I need to work on that one."

You can tell his heart is really in the memories of learning and the love for all he's experienced in flying. Harrison Ford is definitely an aviator.

Back