Just acquired an iPad

rundogdave

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
So, I just acquired an iPd mini 3, 64gig, no cell capability. We bought it last year for my son to use for school, but he has not been using it, so now it is mine. Is 64 gig big enough to be useful with Foreflight? And what will I be missing by not having cell capability? I'm just flying VFR now, trying to build time towards a future instrument and commercial rating. I've just become current after a short 20 year hiatus, and trying to get up to speed with the new technology.

Yes. 64g is more than enough.

And what will I be missing by not having cell capability?

Most importantly, you'll miss the internal GPS that is included in models with cell capability. You can make that up with an external GPS receiver. A Dual XGPS150 will get the job done for about $90. Spend ten times that much for a Stratus and then you'll get weather and traffic in addition to the GPS data.

Foreflight has a 30 day free trial I believe if you wanna play with it.

I agree to get the max benefits outta it in the cockpit, having an external GPS receiver would be highly recommended....ESPECIALLY once you move into IFR training. Geo-refrenced approach plates are AMAZING...(for situational awareness...bla bla bla...still need to train paper...bla bla bla...children of magenta line...bla bla bla...only fly VOR's...bla bla bla...did I miss anything?...bla bla bla...)

Last edited:
Abandon hope, ye who enter here . . . All is lost . . .

Remember to occasionally tear your eyes away from the wonder box and peek briefly out the window. :p

Send it back. Get a Samsung tablet. Install AVARE (free, but donate) and MyFlightBook (free, but donate, because @EricBe is awesome). The Galaxy tabs that are wifi enabled all have stand alone GPS capability. Then you can go get a flightbox for ADS-B weather and traffic, or source/build the box yourself (and save about 50 bucks).

You're welcome. ;)

Send it back. Get a Samsung tablet. Install AVARE (free, but donate) and MyFlightBook (free, but donate, because @EricBe is awesome). The Galaxy tabs that are wifi enabled all have stand alone GPS capability. Then you can go get a flightbox for ADS-B weather and traffic, or source/build the box yourself (and save about 50 bucks).

Sending it back is not an option. We bought it last fall. I will look in to the external GPS receiver.

Most importantly, you'll miss the internal GPS that is included in models with cell capability. You can make that up with an external GPS receiver. A Dual XGPS150 will get the job done for about $90. Spend ten times that much for a Stratus and then you'll get weather and traffic in addition to the GPS data.
Have a XPS150 for sale if interested.

So, is the Sporty's Foreflight tutorial worth the $30, or would it be better just to look on YouTube?

Howdy - the documentation with FF is pretty good, and the app is intuitive. I didn't feel the need for a tutorial, once I had hands on. Your box has plenty of memory, for sure, no worries.

I use an older iPad, wi-fi only, and an external bluetooth (Dual) GPS. I tethered my iPad to my cell, but honestly, the cell connectivity isn't all that important most of the time.

You're welcome. ;)

Meh, I'd stick with foreflight, it's really the top dog by a large margin.

Save the money, and read the pilots guide as you follow along with FF running on the iPad.

Then go out with an instructor or safety pilot,to out what you learned to use.

For private messages, or conversations as this forum software calls them, tap the envelope icon in the upper right and follow the prompts.

Meh, I'd stick with foreflight, it's really the top dog by a large margin.
In user quantity yes. But arguments can be made for the others based on need and preference. I use both FF and WingX because there are certain things one will do better than the other based on my needs at that moment.

I run an iPad Air 2 at 64GB, plenty of room for ForeFlight and plenty more.
I have the wifi only version, run Bad Elf Pro on Bluetooth for GPS data and STRAUX ($120 Raspberry Pi setup) on UAT frequency for ADS-B in data, it connects via wifi.

Stratux.me, or google it on Reddit. The latest STRATUX versions are starting to add both adsb Freqs and AHRS data.

Foreflight has a 30 day free trial I believe if you wanna play with it.

I agree to get the max benefits outta it in the cockpit, having an external GPS receiver would be highly recommended....ESPECIALLY once you move into IFR training. Geo-refrenced approach plates are AMAZING...(for situational awareness...bla bla bla...still need to train paper...bla bla bla...children of magenta line...bla bla bla...only fly VOR's...bla bla bla...did I miss anything?...bla bla bla...)

If you did, Ed will be in shortly:)

There is a tutorial? Had mine for 5 years. Ipad2, 32gB, no cell data, internal gps only, Foreflight.
The whole thing is amazing and works without problem.
I would just sit in the living room one night and punch buttons. Helpful to have a knowledgeable person handy to answer questions. Or have POA open on your laptop and we will guide you.

There's an online manual from foreflight available, and lots of stuff on youtube.

It's pretty intuitive, and not hard to figure out many of the functions just by fiddling with it.

I run FF on a 64 gB Air 2 with no cell/GPS. Bought it specifically for use in the airplane, but now also use it for email when travelling and don't take my laptop any more. I use a $100 Garmin GLO for the GPS source, but there's others like Bad Elf & Dual to choose from.

I did more or less what Dave Taylor posted above to get started; downloaded the free FF software, downloaded the FF manual, turned on the iPad while sitting in my easy chair and "punched buttons". Easy to learn the basics, and I've found other pilots around the flying club, or camping next to me during airshow season last summer, among the best sources for the more advanced stuff.

Can't bring myself to spend $900 on a Stratus, so the STRATUX info here on POA is getting my attention, although FF seems to be doing their best to drive you to the high $$ solution.

So, I just acquired an iPd mini 3, 64gig, no cell capability. We bought it last year for my son to use for school, but he has not been using it, so now it is mine. Is 64 gig big enough to be useful with Foreflight? And what will I be missing by not having cell capability? I'm just flying VFR now, trying to build time towards a future instrument and commercial rating. I've just become current after a short 20 year hiatus, and trying to get up to speed with the new technology.

Plenty. You'll have even more space with WingX as they compress the maps more. Which means you can zoom in more on the FF maps. Even a 32 GB iPad is enough with either. I have an old iPad 2 with 32 GB, WingX and a bunch of photos and still more space. Ordered a new iPad Pro 9.7 and wish they had a 64 GB model, but nope, had to go with the 128 GB. I want to store more photos and such on it.

For about $250 (or less), I'd get a PiFly (thepifly.com) or a FlightBox (openflightsolutions.com) and use the EFB software of your choice (some free) for a great setup with GPS, weax, metars, notams, and traffic. Or build a Stratux, if you are so inclined (http://stratux.me ).

So, I just acquired an iPad ...
My condolences.
But since you already have it and it is paid for *sigh*, it might do some good with FF. As other have said, 64GB is plenty to store a lot of VFR, IFR and even TA charts. I wonder if it would be enough to store ALL 48 states. (c'mon, forget Alaska, that one will require another 64GB :D and who would fly a little airplane to HI - remember the last guy who tried in his Cirrus? :) )
Definitely pick up an external GPS accessory, it helps a lot to overlay your position on an approach chart.
Also, even with FF installed, drop FltPlan Go on it anyway, they overlay approach charts for free. And it is a good thing to have a backup chart app (redundancy is key).

And ForeFlight, while the most popular, is not the only EFB/Nav app for iPad. I used Fore Flight for 1 year and then switched to WingX Pro (at the time it was the only solution with split screen). There are others. Before you commit to Fore Flight, use the free trials and see which you like best.

I used an iPad 1 with 32GB and an external GPS for a couple of years and it worked great with both ForeFlight and WingX. The only issue I had was forgetting to turn the GPS off when on the ground so the battery was dead when I went back to the airplane.

John

20 years out of action. Remember VOR is no longer your friend. That sectional chart you have been clinging too toss it into the dump.
Well maybe have a sectional just in case all electronics fail.

Before you commit to Fore Flight, use the free trials and see which you like best
I agree with this. For a time, FF was top of the features heap. Then WingX got really good and an "arms race" started between the two.

Now FlyQ, Garmin Pilot, and FltPlanGo are in the mix.

So we have 5 really good apps accomplishing the same end and it's coming down to "less filling/great taste, DrPepper/Coca-Cola/Pepsi" style choices.

Wow!! My head is spinning. Thanks for all the responses, and suggestions. Apparently, I have some research to do. Heck, the electronic E6B was the hot new thing when I went on hiatus! Thanks again.

Now we have stand alone E6B apps, and some of the EFB's have the functionality.

When Mr. Jobs was whipping the design team into a frenzy, I know he was thinking hard about both the home and business users. But I don't think he had fully grasped how much his product would impact the aviation sector.

Back