July 4th

Garthur

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
retman
Something that every pilot should do is to go take a general aviation night flight and see the fireworks from the air. The view of the fireworks coming up towards you is something not to forget.

I've done that flight before with the husband in the right seat and am happy that I can say that I have seen them from a perspective not everyone gets to experience, but I've done it only once. I found that I much prefer sitting with Christopher on a blanket with a glass of wine for two looking up at them and listening to the patriotic music the local radio station plays during the show. It's just more relaxing to me and I definitely enjoy the show more than from the air. :D

I usually try to get close enough to watch the mortar crew. Much more interesting than the fireworks above. ;)

I did t a couple years ago. It was ok, nothing spectacular. I prefer to be very close to the fireworks. Very loud, and ash falling on you.

Not gonna happen in Colorado these days. Almost all the fireworks have been cancelled. Even many of the firework stands have admitted it's not a good idea and are closed. I'm planning on watching the NYC, DC & Boston shows on TV. That's about all the fireworks anyone will see on Colorado.

Unless, of course, you're interested in flying near (not over - TFRs you know) the many fires in the state. And Arizona. And New Mexico. And Wyoming.

We fly north to the outer areas from Disney World and watch the fireworks from there, a few times a year and other than dodging traffic, which gets a little tight, we have a great time.

You DON'T want to do it during Christmas, New Year's, or Forth of July weeks. That would be suicide.

The wife and I have done the fireworks flight 5 or more times. Never saw any traffic, but maybe that's because of where we live. One year we were over Omaha watching some very large commercial fireworks displays and a large fireworks display was coming from an area that no commercial fireworks scheduled. We flew over that way and it was coming from some guys back yard. It went on for 30 mins. Must of cost big money.

Some of the large displays can be seen from 50 miles away. We fly at 3000' MSL, that about 1800' AGL here and none of the largest rockets are even close to or altitude.

Seems folks will often try it once, usually the first 4th after they get their private. Usually they are underwhelmed, and it's a one and done flight. Fireworks are neat to see from the air, but much neater on the ground.

Seems folks will often try it once, usually the first 4th after they get their private. Usually they are underwhelmed, and it's a one and done flight. Fireworks are neat to see from the air, but much neater on the ground.
I've never done a flight with the express purpose of seeing fireworks, but they're not an uncommon sight. You're right about them being best from the ground. After all, that's where they're designed to be viewed from. Heck, I remember a couple of years ago watching them from the 40th floor of an office building downtown, and even that was underwhelming, because you were looking down on most of it.

Fireworks ON aircraft ("night airshows") does seem to be the "next big thing" these days, though.

I try and go every year. It is like a war zone around here. The entire city is engulfed in smoke and the rockets red glare. You have to launch at dark and stay up for a couple of hours to get the full effect. I would much rather be in the air watching fireworks.

ISZ notams closed for the fireworks here, they blast from the runup area for 24.

Back