July 4th at 6Y9.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
We will be there this weekend. Anyone who wants to stop by, feel free!

Possibly. I have friends coming up into the UP this weekend and we are gonna try to hook up. I know that they do not know where Sidnaw is as they told me as much. But I forget where they are gonna be. I have to call them on Saturday to find out.

Man, 4th of July in Sidnaw... I bet you can blow a LOT of stuff up and nobody would care up there.

Possibly. I have friends coming up into the UP this weekend and we are gonna try to hook up. I know that they do not know where Sidnaw is as they told me as much. But I forget where they are gonna be. I have to call them on Saturday to find out.

M28 halfway between US41 and US45. There's only 2 east west roads in the UP. :D

Looks a bit bumpy...

It's been rolled since. Is it putting green smooth? No. But we've had Barons, Senecas, And just about every version of the common singles in there with no issues.

I suspect that mostly has to do with the way the camera was mounted.

It's as good or better than any other grass strip I've been to, but you know that. :)

When is everybody gonna get there? I might fly or drive. Do I need to bring anything?

For the 4th of July Weekend, Mom is already up there, Dad will be arriving today, I'll be coming in tomorrow. Shoot me a text if you decide to come over because we may be out ATVing.

we may be out ATVing.

napoleon_lucky.jpg

You and Rachel should have bought Tommy's instead of moving to Georgia.

You and Rachel should have bought Tommy's instead of moving to Georgia.

Rachel would have lost her mind. Not enough people through the front door at Tommy's to keep her entertained. Believe it or not, I get kinda dull after a while.. Shocking, I know.

For the 4th of July Weekend, Mom is already up there, Dad will be arriving today, I'll be coming in tomorrow. Shoot me a text if you decide to come over because we may be out ATVing.
I'll text before dropping by. Since you are camping out in my backyard I thought it might be nice to stop by and say hello. I might even fly there depending on the conditions although it would probably be quicker to drive to 6Y9 than drive to my airport and remove the wheel fairings and fly there.

We have had plenty of plane with wheel pants come in without issue.

We have had plenty of plane with wheel pants come in without issue.
I just might try it. I am a little nervous about landing an a grass strip when I rarely use any runway under 4,000' let alone a grass strip. I did a landing and T/O from M61 just a few miles from 6Y9 in a 172 and remember how scary it was with the trees coming up so fast.

That's 180hp right?

Taking off on 28 you've got 2600' (400' more than Johnson) and another 300' that has no trees, and then the road. So you've probably got 3100'-3300' before anything taller than 3' starts growing.

We've had plenty of 180hp planes in there. Just you and some fuel, should be no issue.

That's 180hp right?

Taking off on 28 you've got 2600' (400' more than Johnson) and another 300' that has no trees, and then the road. So you've probably got 3100'-3300' before anything taller than 3' starts growing.

We've had plenty of 180hp planes in there. Just you and some fuel, should be no issue.
I took a 172 with 160 hp in there way back with no problems. In and out in less than 500 feet. That was before you extended it.

160 or 180 hp 172 reasonably loaded is a complete non-issue. Just don't come screaming in at 90 knots.

you also brought a DA-20 in there too didn't you? Gary would be coming in a DA-40.

you also brought a DA-20 in there too didn't you? Gary would be coming in a DA-40.

Yes. Also a non issue, the diamonds do well, just be careful with airspeed control.

Yes. Also a non issue, the diamonds do well, just be careful with airspeed control.
I'm not worried about landing as long as there is a good windsock. There is, isn't there? The 3 blade prop has good ground clearance and good climb performance so if I don't get bogged down on soft ground T/O should not be a problem either.

Windsock is easily findable. Mid-field and surrounded by white barrels cut in half lengthwise, and laid out in a circle around it. Probably the easiest windsock to ever find.

Well gang, I'm outta here. Maybe I catch ya at 6Y9 this weekend, maybe I don't.

I get to add 6Y9 to my logbook. This was the first time I have landed my DA40 on a turf strip. EdFred and his mom heard me fly overhead and rode their ATVs in to greet me. Ed's mom looks way to young to be his mom. The temp today was in the 80s which is very hot for the UP. I was only able to hang out for a few minutes. My departure was a little scary as I am not used to flying on a grass strip with trees on the far end but obviously I made it out OK. I am disappointed that I will not be able to attend labor day fly-in unless I can get one of my partners to swap call which is very unlikely. Maybe next time.

I get to add 6Y9 to my logbook. This was the first time I have landed my DA40 on a turf strip. EdFred and his mom heard me fly overhead and rode their ATVs in to greet me. Ed's mom looks way to young to be his mom. The temp today was in the 80s which is very hot for the UP. I was only able to hang out for a few minutes. My departure was a little scary as I am not used to flying on a grass strip with trees on the far end but obviously I made it out OK. I am disappointed that I will not be able to attend labor day fly-in unless I can get one of my partners to swap call which is very unlikely. Maybe next time.

Dude, Ed is 18, it's all the smoking, booze and STDs that make him look old....

I thought Ed was 7?

BTW I am not making it up north. My friends got an emergency call and are actually driving to Chicago to catch a plane. Their daughter in AZ was found this morning to have metastasized cancer in her lungs, liver, pancreas and brain. :-(

Last edited:
Dude, Ed is 18, it's all the smoking, booze and STDs that make him look old....
Only 18 eh? That explains a lot. The other factor is that I'm getting old. The new interns at our hospital don't look old enough to buy beer.

So what's the runway like? Any bad bumps or mole holes? I am seriously thinking about flying up there tomorrow afternoon since the wx is so smashingly gorgeous (and who knows what Labor Day weekend will be like?)... and I fly a small wheeled retract (Cardinal RG).

I suppose I should give the "contact number" for 6Y9 a call. Especially since I somehow lost Ed's cell number. :(

So what's the runway like? Any bad bumps or mole holes? I am seriously thinking about flying up there tomorrow afternoon since the wx is so smashingly gorgeous (and who knows what Labor Day weekend will be like?)... and I fly a small wheeled retract (Cardinal RG).

I suppose I should give the "contact number" for 6Y9 a call. Especially since I somehow lost Ed's cell number. :(
It was my first turf runway experience in about 12 years so I can't give a good comparison. Obviously a lot bumpier than a paved runway. I was surprised how much more distance it takes to get up to speed and I bounced a good bit on T/O and landing. At least it's dry.

The contact number is a Mini Mart. I called before I launched and asked about the runway conditions and got a lady who told me" I think it's OK there are several planes parked out there".

Come on up Liz .. no holes in the runway

Well, my camping gear and bicycle are all packed and the plane is preflighted. My plan is to go bicycling in and around Bellaire, but I have a hike to lead tomorrow morning and can't leave before about 1330 at the very earliest. Right now the weather looks so good I could do that either tomorrow or Monday. So I can either head up to 6Y9, stay the night and head back to KACB on Monday, or just stop at KACB tomorrow and turn around... or I could leave Monday morning and just do Bellaire.

It was my first turf runway experience in about 12 years so I can't give a good comparison. Obviously a lot bumpier than a paved runway. I was surprised how much more distance it takes to get up to speed and I bounced a good bit on T/O and landing. At least it's dry.
Dry is good. :) I did a T/O in a Cardinal RG on a hard turf surface about 8 years ago and yes you do bounce a little. You just keep lots of back pressure on the rollout and if it's real bad, you do a soft field takeoff and accelerate in ground effect. As long as it's not so rough that I'd worry about a prop strike or a wheel falling in a hole (I hear ya Ed, no holes!), it should be fine.

The contact number is a Mini Mart. I called before I launched and asked about the runway conditions and got a lady who told me" I think it's OK there are several planes parked out there".
Well that's about as useful as wheel pants on a retract... wonder where they got that number from? I guess I'll try calling (or texting) Ed's number from the Michigan Airport Directory... just to let them know if I'm coming up.

Well that's about as useful as wheel pants on a retract... wonder where they got that number from? I guess I'll try calling (or texting) Ed's number from the Michigan Airport Directory... just to let them know if I'm coming up.

That mini mart is also the FBO. That's where Tony got fuel for his tail dragged a few years ago. Just pull down a sign on the trail, and you can pull the plane up to the gas pumps. That picture made the front page of the local papers.

Back