July 4, 2012 - O69 Petaluma CA fly-in

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
I have posted this to my "meetup" group:

http://meetu.ps/fbH34

There are a few planes (right now, only two) flying from Palo Alto on the Fourth of July.

I will drive to the airport about an hour early to snag all of us a table. The restaurant will NOT be open, so I'm currently figuring out the food thing.

Regardless of weather, I will be there, and the pilots should arrive at 1pm. Once I get to the airport (I'm going tomorrow, for example) I will survey the scene and figure out what we can do. I think there are some picnic tables and maybe a BBQ pit.

Stay tuned, but I wanted to post this as soon as I knew it was final. We will be there for sure. Feel free to join us.

Edit: pilots will arrive by 1pm. They should land between 12-1 and find us. I heard that one pilot said the Airnav site recently reported gas prices below $5 at Petaluma but now it says over $5. I don't buy my own avgas so this is not something I can confirm.... however, for some of you, Petaluma will be cheaper (such as those of you flying from KPAO).

Last edited:
I went to the store and bought charcoal and lighter fluid. So far we are expecting 3-4 planes from KPAO. I will be grilling burgers and some of the people will bring the sides. Please join us.

Update:

Due to reasons beyond my control, and the last minute nature of everything (with more and more people signing up on several websites), I cannot host a BBQ. It is too complicated to coordinate all the dishes and I can't afford to feed 15 people including drinks all by myself.

We are calling the two niner diner AGAIN tomorrow to be sure they are closed, since one person was told that they are open.

I drove by the airport tonight, just in case some of you are coming, and I devised another plan. I personally drove to the nearby Safeway and found 5-9 restaurants, including a Peet's coffee, which will all be open on the day of July 4. I took each of their menus with pricing and I plan to scan them all tomorrow.

Once we confirm the 29er is INDEED closed, I will then send out the menus to those of you who have posted in this thread that you are coming. I will also have them at the picnic tables.

There are 2-4 sandwich places, 2 Chinese places, Safeway, and a Ohana Hawaiian BBQ all open that day. I will have my car and the restaurants are less than 5 minutes from the airport. Not walking distance, though, but close.

Sorry for the last minute change.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Wednesday, and I'll update you about the food tomorrow as soon as I know more.

Kimberly

Right now, we have 2 planes coming from meetup.

One with 2-3 people

One solo pilot

In addition, there are 2 locals driving in.

The KPAO group is unconfirmed, but I think we have 3 planes, with 4 people total.

If you include myself and my BF, there should be around 12 people. The fog on Sunday didn't clear before lunch at Petaluma so that could be an issue for Wednesday. However, Petaluma does have instrument approaches.

Forgot to post my phone number in case anyone can't find us or is running late / early / etc: 7 0 7 - 7 9 9 - 6 3 1 4

I have an unconfirmed report that E40 might show up.

OK so several people have called today and the diner is closed.

Several people have also suggested that what I am trying to do might be too complicated. Therefore, I should just ask everyone to bring their own lunch and we will leave it at that. My offer still stands if you need me to go to town to get food. I'll bring a cooler filled with ice and bottles of water for everyone. I'll also have the menus.

You could do a BBQ and make it bring your own meat or even a potluck. That usually works pretty well.

You could do a BBQ and make it bring your own meat or even a potluck. That usually works pretty well.

John, thank you, but it is too late for that. I don't know anyone coming and I tried to organize it but that didn't work.

Are you joining us?

John, thank you, but it is too late for that. I don't know anyone coming and I tried to organize it but that didn't work.

Are you joining us?

I might be able to. I need to go look at a car in Vacaville at 10:00, but it is right next to the Nut Tree airport, so I might make it a flying adventure and could continue down to Petaluma.

I might be able to. I need to go look at a car in Vacaville at 10:00, but it is right next to the Nut Tree airport, so I might make it a flying adventure and could continue down to Petaluma.

Cool, if you do, then we can talk about our Shelter Cove adventure. I'll bring a sectional and iPad so we can look at other airports.

If you don't make it, I understand. Anyhow, my cell is listed above. Call me if you are coming so I can look out for you.

That would be cool. The more, the merrier.

Cool, if you do, then we can talk about our Shelter Cove adventure. I'll bring a sectional and iPad so we can look at other airports.

If you don't make it, I understand. Anyhow, my cell is listed above. Call me if you are coming so I can look out for you.

It is looking good. I moved the car appointment to 9:30 and he is meeting me at the airport (pretty nice of him :)). The challenge will be how to get the car home, if I buy it :confused:. I will cross that bridge when I get to it, though.

It is looking good. I moved the car appointment to 9:30 and he is meeting me at the airport (pretty nice of him :)). The challenge will be how to get the car home, if I buy it :confused:. I will cross that bridge when I get to it, though.

Cool. Please PM me your tail number / type of plane / color etc and your cell phone. I will add you to my list and keep an ear out on the CTAF for you.

8:12am - O69 AWOS check.

Wind - CALM (use runway 29, right traffic, preferred runway)
Vis - 10 miles
Temp - 15 C
Dewpoint - 11 C
Altimeter 29.86

You said you would be there early -- do you know about what time?
Not pushing but I am going out for a morning flight as soon as STS haze clears and thought I stop by and say hi
Probably 10 ish

You said you would be there early -- do you know about what time?
Not pushing but I am going out for a morning flight as soon as STS haze clears and thought I stop by and say hi
Probably 10 ish

PM me your tail number / cell / etc. I won't be there until about noon, I'm going to set up. I just got back from the store. Bought bottled water, some beer, ice, chips, and dip. And a few balloons for fun.

Is 12 too late for you?

Thank you all pilots.

I expected about (at most) 20 people to show up and all but a handful did arrive!

What was great is they all seemed to land at the same moment, around 12 or 12:30. I will post pictures soon.

That was my very first gathering, and in less than a few weeks, on four "aviation websites" I was pleasantly surprised with the number of attendees - even though all I brought was chips and dip and water.

Pilots are great. Next destination: Shelter Cove (backup location to be determined) - Sat / Sun, Aug 18-19.

It can be time consuming, but organizing an event sure does pay off in the end. What a perfect day.

They are on my computer but we didn't get back until late last night from the Healdsburg fireworks, and that other John from the Purple Board stayed with us until 4 or 5pm on the porch - so we didn't get home until dinner time.

I will try to upload and post them tonight. Did you get your Cloud Ahoy track from the trip back? Did you get cleared through the Bravo both ways?

Did you get your Cloud Ahoy track from the trip back? Did you get cleared through the Bravo both ways?
I did get the CloudAhoy track, it worked very well. It showed consistently low, about 100'-150' low.
I did get cleared through the Braaaaavo, it's absolutely no big deal. When I was "abeam" the Golden Gate bridge, they asked me if I was experiencing wind shear. It was a little bumpy due to the strong west wind and huge fog bank rolling in through the 'Gate and I told them so. They also had me fly at or below 2000' through the Braaaaavo so that probably added to the bumps.

Back