July 24, 2007 - The BFR

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Arrived at the airport early for another leisurely pre-flight. Ran through the pre-flight taking my time, and as soon as I was done, up comes Walt, early. Filed return flight plan (ADIZ) and got ready to go, only the nose wheel needed air (needed 30, was at 19) so we stopped off to properly fill it first.

Had a nice breeze, so got some cross wind refresher, and departed to the north for Fallston. Worked on emergency landing procedures from 3kft with a spiral down. I would have landed long and probably overrun into the corn, but I would have at least made the runway. Went around. Did another approach, and did land - with a bit of float but plenty of runway to spare. I am rusty tho and need to get some serious pattern time in.

Back to MTN to do just that, but ended up cutting it a bit short. We discovered on the 2nd time around that the alternator breaker had tripped. We reset it, and it tripped again. And again. And again. With the ldg light off, it did not trip, but we decided that since this *was* a towered field, we'd rather not go NORDO and opted to cut it short after 3 landings (4 total). So I didn't get the practice I really needed, but none of my landings were dangerous, they just weren't *pretty*. Especially the first one at MTN. YUCK.

I'll try to get over this weekend and get some pattern work done.

After we taxied back, Walt asked me a series of questions (in addition to the ones he'd asked in the air), and said "Well I'd like to have seen your landings be a little cleaner, but they're not gonna kill anyone, so gimme yer log book." And he signed off the BFR. :D

Its nice to be legal again! :D

WTG, Chuck!

Good to see you're back in the air again.

Jim

Feels good to get back in the air, doesn't it? I miss it after a month or so, I can only imagine what it was like for you. Welcome back to the sky.

Arrived at the airport early for another leisurely pre-flight. Ran through the pre-flight taking my time, and as soon as I was done, up comes Walt, early. Filed return flight plan (ADIZ) and got ready to go, only the nose wheel needed air (needed 30, was at 19) so we stopped off to properly fill it first.

Had a nice breeze, so got some cross wind refresher, and departed to the north for Fallston. Worked on emergency landing procedures from 3kft with a spiral down. I would have landed long and probably overrun into the corn, but I would have at least made the runway. Went around. Did another approach, and did land - with a bit of float but plenty of runway to spare. I am rusty tho and need to get some serious pattern time in.

Back to MTN to do just that, but ended up cutting it a bit short. We discovered on the 2nd time around that the alternator breaker had tripped. We reset it, and it tripped again. And again. And again. With the ldg light off, it did not trip, but we decided that since this *was* a towered field, we'd rather not go NORDO and opted to cut it short after 3 landings (4 total). So I didn't get the practice I really needed, but none of my landings were dangerous, they just weren't *pretty*. Especially the first one at MTN. YUCK.

I'll try to get over this weekend and get some pattern work done.

After we taxied back, Walt asked me a series of questions (in addition to the ones he'd asked in the air), and said "Well I'd like to have seen your landings be a little cleaner, but they're not gonna kill anyone, so gimme yer log book." And he signed off the BFR. :D

Its nice to be legal again! :D

Truly good news, Chuck. Come anywhere near ABQ, and beer's on me. That is, if you come via GA. This offer not valid if you fly commercially to ABQ just for free beer. :D

Truly good news, Chuck. Come anywhere near ABQ, and beer's on me. That is, if you come via GA. This offer not valid if you fly commercially to ABQ just for free beer. :D

If I fly GA to ABQ and you're buying the beer, you'ld better be putting up the 8 hour crash space too. ;)

Back