Judicial branch writing bills? [NA]

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Well, I find this link on Drudge report to an article about Howard Dean's fund raising difficulities, but it turns out that wasn't the interesting article to me. Instead, there was one about a Judge who is writing a bill about asbestos liability. Since when is it the business of the judicial branch to be writing proposed laws? Seems to me this judge's job is to interpret the law, not write it. Any settlement coming out of this judge's courtroom should come from the law as written now. This seems to me to be part of an evergrowing problem with the judiciary not staying within it's bounds. If this judge, or any other, wants to write laws or pursue social agendas, they need to run for an office in the legislative or executive branches.

I'll past the article below, and the link. If you go to the link, it's all the way at the bottom.

"Ghost Writers Roil Asbestos Talk

[font=arial,helvetica,univers]It's one of Washington's dirty secrets that lobbyists routinely draft legislation. But enviros are crying foul after a judge brokering an asbestos-liability deal enlisted business to write part of a proposed law. Third Circuit Court Judge Edward Becker asked biz execs to draft a key provision in order to speed progress on a deal. Richard Wiles of the Environmental Working Group says sick and dying asbestos victims have issues with the bill, too, and deserve a crack at it. Don't bother telling that to the judge: "Look at the health and safety provisions. They were written by labor," Becker says. "Business complained about them, but they're in the bill." Indeed, he says, "there are a lot of individual companies whose ox is gored" by the proposed deal."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,univers]http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_23/c3936057_mz013.htm

[/font]

Back