JPI EDM using J type CHT probes?

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
Has anyone used Insight J type probes with a JPI EDM? Specifically a 760 but I think 730 and others use the same K type probes as well. I thought there was a setting in the JPI EDMss to use the K JPI or J type insight probes? I ask because I need to replace a set of 4 probes and already have 4 insight probes sitting on the shelf. Of course, I don't want to do it if impacts accuracy or function. If they can be used, do all 4 have to be the same type?
Thanks

Are the thermocouples you are trying to replace also J type? Swapping j type for j type should function fine, but trying to substitute a j type in a system where something else was originally likely won’t work.

The legality of the substitution is another matter, which I don’t know anything about since I don’t deal with engine monitors much.

You can only use K type (cromel /alumel) with the 760. J type are iron / constantan and there is no setting to switch the edm to these types.

The 700/800/730/830 can use type J CHT probes, there is a config setting for it, and I have seen installs using them. I’ve not installed a 760, and I don’t see anything in the install manual about it, but the 760 pilots guide does say “ Calibration: type K (J CHT avail.)” so perhaps it is possible. The 760 install manual is much lighter in detail than the 700/800/730/830 (19 pages vs 30 pages) so it might just be missing in the manual, or perhaps it’s a factory order option. I’d suggest reaching out to JPI.

Last edited:
The 700/800/730/830 can use type J CHT probes, there is a config setting for it, and I have seen installs using them. I’ve not installed a 760, and I don’t see anything in the install manual about it, but the 760 pilots guide does say “ Calibration: type K (J CHT avail.)” so perhaps it is possible. The 760 install manual is much lighter in detail than the 700/800/730/830 (19 pages vs 30 pages) so it might just be missing in the manual, or perhaps it’s a factory order option. I’d suggest reaching out to JPI.
I downloaded and read both the install manual and the pilots guide and didn't see anything about the ability to configure for J type. JPI customer service is pretty good at answering questions, perhaps a call to them is in order.

1-800-345-4574
or
support@jpinstruments.com

Typically a different type of thermocouple needs a different cold junction compensator so I would bet it's a hardware option.

I downloaded and read both the install manual and the pilots guide and didn't see anything about the ability to configure for J type. JPI customer service is pretty good at answering questions, perhaps a call to them is in order.

1-800-345-4574
or
support@jpinstruments.com

Typically a different type of thermocouple needs a different cold junction compensator so I would bet it's a hardware option.

I can almost guarantee they will tell you to buy factory probes. Can you imagine the problems and potential liability of using some unknown probes?

Back