JPI EDM download port

dmount76

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dmount76
I bought a Bonanza with a JPI EDM 700 and the manual talks about a serial port to download data. I can’t find one on my unit. I looked at the back and there are 2 large plugs and a cable all connected to something. No empty serial port. Do some of these not have a download port or am I looking in the wrong place. Thanks.

Our old 700 had a separate wire that was about 2ft long coming off the back of the unit that had the port. Think it was white. This may have been an optional feature though.

If you have an older one, I think you can send it to JPI and get it modded for a USB stick. Was around $300. You could just pin yours for a simple RS232 output to a plug.

Nice. I’d appreciate any instructions on installing a port. Is this something I have to send off to have done or can I install one myself?

Nice. I’d appreciate any instructions on installing a port. Is this something I have to send off to have done or can I install one myself?

If you want to have the USB with downloadable capture installed, you need to send it to JPI. If you can live with a simple data port and capture on your own device, the install manual with the pinout is downloadable from JPI's website. The port it just a single RS232 tx and ground to a barrel connector mounted on your panel. I capture as an ascii file on my android tablet and put it onto a spreadsheet.

Last edited:
You could probably just as easily set up bluetooth dongle like a Firefly and tx the engine monitor 232 data right to your device. Doing it the way I do is kinda clunky and not very convenient.

oooo... the bluetooth idea sounds great. I still need to put in the serial port, but then the firefly will bluetooth the data to to device for analysis correct?

oooo... the bluetooth idea sounds great. I still need to put in the serial port, but then the firefly will bluetooth the data to to device for analysis correct?

Yes, and you'd need 12v for the Firefly. Or you could try and find a wifi 232 data logger and send the file to yourself at the end of the flight, but I haven't come across one that'll do 12v.

Back