JPI EDM-900/930 best for LOP operation?

Buck Rizvi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BoulderBuck
I'm purchasing a timed-out Piper Cherokee Six 300.

Since I'm overhauling the engine, I'd like to install GAMInjectors and an engine monitor so I can run lean of peak.

The Cherokee Six panel has tons of space and I'm not thrilled with the stock placement of the tach and manifold pressure gauges.

2 questions:

1. Is the JPI EDM-830/900/930 the best engine monitor for the money for LOP operation? I have aging eyes and want something that's both easy to read and operate.

2. Is it worth it to jump to the EDM-900/930 in order to replace the tach and manifold pressure gauges? It seems like we'd be installing a lot of new remote sensors that could fail.

My alternative is to keep the steam gauges as primary and go with the EDM-830.

3. Lastly, I've also been looking at the Insight G4, but I'm hear very good things about the JPI product and support.

Thanks,
Buck

Since I'm overhauling the engine, I'd like to install GAMInjectors and an engine monitor so I can run lean of peak.

The Cherokee Six panel has tons of space and I'm not thrilled with the stock placement of the tach and manifold pressure gauges.

2 questions:

1. Is the JPI EDM-830/900/930 the best engine monitor for the money for LOP operation? I have aging eyes and want something that's both easy to read and operate.

2. Is it worth it to jump to the EDM-900/930 in order to replace the tach and manifold pressure gauges? It seems like we'd be installing a lot of new remote sensors that could fail.

3. Lastly, I've also been looking at the Insight G4, but I'm hear very good things about the JPI product and support.

Thanks,
Buck
Few thoughts...

While you can't go wrong with GAMI's, I'd wait till after you install your engine monitor of choice and see what your gami-spread is. There are occasions where you can get your current injectors to have close to a .5 spread and operate LOP perfectly fine.

I recently installed an Insight G4 Twin and I love it. I did all the research between options and got it down to JPI and that and went with the G4. It is right in front of me on the pilot side and very easy to see/operate. I wanted to keep my analog gauges as a backup anyway. The Insight customer service has been excellent and the monitor operates flawlessly. My plane runs LOP great with stock injectors and I'm going to swap the leanest with the richest cylinders on each side and think my spread may end up close to .5. If not, I may install GAMI's but not sure as it runs LOP nicely. The G4 automatically shows you the FF that each cylinder peaks (in addition to a load of other things) so determining your spread is stupid easy. I like the color coding and alerts it provides. The fuel flow/totalizer operates great as well.

Here's the G4 below:
IMG_4344.JPG

Is the 600 fuel injected? If not, probably not worth the money. Awfully difficult to LOP properly with a carb engine. With the IO, work with a really good engine-oriented A&P to tune the injectors.

I did all the research between options and got it down to JPI and that and went with the G4.

Thanks, Kevin. Great pic! I do like the Insight G4 specs and have nice spot to put it on the panel for easy viewing/access. How do you like the Garmin G5 EFIS? I'm also planning to upgrade my DG with the Garmin G5 DG/HSI.

Is the 600 fuel injected? If not, probably not worth the money. Awfully difficult to LOP properly with a carb engine. With the IO, work with a really good engine-oriented A&P to tune the injectors.

Hi Murphey, Yes, this Cherokee Six 300 has a fuel injected Lycoming IO-540-K1A5. Thanks for the advice!

How do you like the Garmin G5 EFIS? I'm also planning to upgrade my DG with the Garmin G5 DG/HSI.
I love the G5 EFIS. Very easy to use and read. Has exactly what I need logically displayed with a 4 hour battery backup. While yes it cost 1 grand more than the experimental version for the same thing, I still think it's worth every penny. My current HSI is working well and I'd like to see what Dynon's Skyview ends up looking like/costing for the 310 before doing anything else. That said, my guess is I'll end up with the G5 HSI in the next year or two (especially if by the off chance the GFC 500 gets STC'ed for non-pressurized twins...not holding my breath but I'm an optimist).

2 questions:

Thanks,
Buck
We put a JPI 900 in our bird when we installed the new io520 and really like it. Last month had a wire end fail and the alternator quit charging, simple fix. I probably would not have caught it until things started to fail but the JPI900 immediately gave me a signal something was wrong and I had plenty of time to react. We left the original tach and manifold pressure gage hooked up so have duplication of gages which I like. Fuel gages are accurate, better presentation of everything and easy to read. Easy to operate too.

We put a JPI 900 in our bird when we installed the new io520 and really like it.

Thanks, Rob. I also like the idea of duplicating the tach and manifold pressure gauges. I hear fuel management on a Cherokee Six can get tricky, so also appreciate the feedback re: the fuel gauges.

I have an older JPI 760 in my twin. I like the redundancy of keeping the steam gauges. The display on the 760 went intermittent and then failed earlier this year. Not an uncommon problem, apparently. Required sending it back to JPI for a new screen. Didn't ground the plane.

Why no consideration of Electronic International products? I have a UBG16, not the latest product by any means, but does well for leaning in my Archer. Their other much prettier GUI interfaces I'm sure would work as well. They have plenty of options that allow approved substitution of primary functions as well, although I like leaving my existing engine gauges for duplication as well.

Why no consideration of Electronic International products?

I decided to go with an EDM-830 and have it replace the old ADF below the clock on the Cherokee Six 300 panel. It fits very nicely in landscape mode and the bigger screen will be welcomed by my aging eyes! Someone posted a pic of what it would look like and I was sold!
2011_panel_2.JPG

Awfully difficult to LOP properly with a carb engine.

I wouldn't go that far, not easy might be a better thought. The key on the PA32-260 is to pull the throttle just a hair back from WOT, you do need a engine analyzer to do it right, but it evens right out

I wouldn't go that far, not easy might be a better thought. The key on the PA32-260 is to pull the throttle just a hair back from WOT, you do need a engine analyzer to do it right, but it evens right out

If I can save 2 GPH at cruise running lean of peak, I'll be a happy camper! I'm getting GAMI's installed in my PA-32-300, so this plus the JPI EDM-830 may make this a possibility.

Back